Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times

Advertisements

I must say that what amazes me how ignorant so many servicemember are despite all the information available to them.

There are so many Army websites and I am sure the other services have them to and servicemember do not take the time to check what are their benefits.

I now have 31 years in the Army and still deal with so many Soldiers asking so many questions even though I know that when they in-process they are give tons of pamphlets, lots of briefings, etc. that cover from pay, Red Cross services, MWR services, ACS services, etc. and still complain no one helps them out.

You would be amazed how many former service members complain no one helped them and informed them about veterans benefits. I did go through retirement program called ACAP and attended so many classes explaining all the benefits and services I and those getting out have. Yet the instructors told me there are so many of them that sign a statement declining to attend all those classes. It is a shame but they do that. Many simply do not want to bother with another Army class I guess. I got extended a couple more years and that is why I saw how so many do not take advantage of all these program and do not keep themselves informed.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:19 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Most civilian companies do not let you earn 30 days vacation every year either!
Most civilian companies can't work you 18 or more hours a day, 7 days a week, for 6 months or more at a time either. Most civilian companies have to obey OSHA regulations for employee safety.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:20 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I was one of two guys in our department who earned extra money on the side. We earned this money on uniform inspection days. I could sew a patch on in less than five minutes. The other guy could get a high gloss on boots in less than five minutes. $20 a patch or $20 a pair of boots.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:49 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Yes, but, Marmac, your civilian employer didn't have the equivalent of BAQ/BAS or all-inclusive medical, dental and the other fringe benefits the military offers...
You're completely missing my point.

My point was to show that the military pay of today ( compared to civilian wages of today) is a whole lot better than the military pay of the 60's ( compared to wages of the 60's)

Old 09-12-2009, 02:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
In 1968 a E1 got $70.00 somethng dollars a month. Hazardous duty pay was a extra $50.00 a month.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:18 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
Allright, let's top this discussion up with a couple of addl facts about pay then we can move on to widen the scope a bit.

Question - Does the military increase pay to those who are married, with children? And are there any other particulars that effect pay that should be included here?

Given the fact that there are so many young people at the moment who are having difficulty finding jobs I'd like to provide them with some basic info for their consideration. We can start with age ranges of acceptability for the different services, how long they would be expected to enlist for, and expand on to cover some of the cool jobs and training by various branches that may lead them to later specialized careers.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Question - Does the military increase pay to those who are married, with children? And are there any other particulars that effect pay that should be included here?
The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is based on geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status.

2009 Basic Allowance for Housing Rates - Military Benefits - Military.com

For example:
ZIP CODE: 87144
MILITARY HOUSING AREA: ALBUQUERQUE/KIRTLAND AFB, NM

E-1 with dependents: $1047 per month
E-1 without dependents $785 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Given the fact that...
Generally it is possible to enter the military at age 17, the maximum age was discussed elsewhere and varies up to 42 I think, normally, currently "enlistments" are 3 or 4 years. And there are Commisioned Officer and Warrant Officer possibilities. Cool jobs? I can't go there, probably over 600 jobs. Many people change careers while in the service. What sounds cool today is not cool one or two years down the road. A cool job in Germany may be terrible in California. A cool job with slow prommotions is no longer cool. A cool job with limited duty locations may not be so cool (Thinking about an Air Force friend who spent many years in Thule, Greenland because that was the only place he could be assigned in his cool job. What I have told people in the past, consider the job that has the longest school....

Rich

Old 09-12-2009, 09:51 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
-----" A cool job without promotion is no longer cool "--

Glad you stated that !

In the Navy, every promotion beyond E-3 you must take a test and compete with sailors throughout the entire Navy.

Promotions are given according to how many opemings there are Navy wide.
I served with sailors who were in a "cool" rate , but only 3 sailors Navy wide got promoted from E-5 TO E-6.

Yet , many other rates that might not be considered" cool" had many E-6 sailors who enlisted long after the ones locked in as E-5's.

If a young man was serious about making a career out of the Navy, he should research the rates and at least consider ones that are the most "open" for promotion from E-4 thru E-7 ( at least)

Entering the Navy is similar to going to college or VO-TECH.
Many enter those places to major in things they enjoy and are interested in w/o checking out the availability of jobs, promotions, and earning better money during their careers.

If I was a career military man--------I would rather be an E-6 or E-7 in a rate that wasn't " cool" than be stuck in a "cool rate" as an E-5.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Most civilian companies can't work you 18 or more hours a day, 7 days a week, for 6 months or more at a time either. Most civilian companies have to obey OSHA regulations for employee safety.
Sailordave, I see that you've never worked for a truckload carrier...

Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
You're completely missing my point.

My point was to show that the military pay of today (compared to civilian wages of today) is a whole lot better than the military pay of the 60's ( compared to wages of the 60's)
Given this economy, you're probably right. I believe "real wages" in the civilian sector have gradually fallen. And I guess military pay got SO bad in the 1980's that President Reagan pushed through an 11% raise....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues