Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times

Advertisements

Military experience, some find, is tough to translate on resumes - The Boston Globe

Seems to me many employers no longer know what they are looking for these days, or how to spot a potentially good employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
So many points to touch on. 1st, the actually name of the title is the easiest part. While you're still in the military, there are many FREE services offered to us which assist you in how to write a resume, job searching and interviewing.

Many of the issues is how does one go from a military career to a cilivian career? Most people I know who got out, didn't have a job lined up, collected their gaurenteed unemployment while they searched for a job. After not finding one, some were able to re-enlist and some had to settle with a "dead-end" job vs a career in what they really wanted to do. In that senario, all one can do is do their best at this job while agressively trying to get your foot in the door in your career.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
I think the problem with a lot of people is they just write on the resume what they did in the military.
You have to translate those skills and make the employer understand how they are relevant to the position. This is true any time you are applying for a job.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Military experience, some find, is tough to translate on resumes.
Quote:
After taking a medical retirement in 2006, he earned four degrees in three-and-a-half years: two associate’s degrees, a bachelor’s in operations management, and a master’s in business management with an emphasis in security and emergency management. Despite his education and experience, though, Brower has found work hard to come by.
Hummmmm. I think there might be some other issues in this case. Jobs can be difficult to find at times.

Rich

Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Hummmmm. I think there might be some other issues in this case. Jobs can be difficult to find at times.

Rich
This article is not very timely. EVERYONE is having troubles finding a job these days.

Also, a lot of employers get turned off by a perceived attitude when the person comes in for an interview. For the most part, you can't act the same at a civilian job as a miltary one. There are just different rules and attitudes that you have to adapt to.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 AM

700 posts, read 2,596,553 times
As someone who was not in the military, but has a decent knowledge of what it takes to be in the military from my father, I was always happy to see that someone who applied for a position with me had military background.

But as it has been stated, how does skills learned in the military translate to skills needed in the workplace?

Now, I'm an executive chef, and I have hired hundreds of people in the past 21 years, many coming from the military because I found their core skill set fits beautifully in the regimented "brigade" of the professional kitchen. Not all of my success stories were "cooks" in the military either, they just showed that special something and maturity that is hard to find. I'm not sure though that how their resume read was the deciding factor, it was much more about how well they presented themselves in interviews.

Some of the best cooks and chefs I ever had working for me came into my kitchens with no cooking experience, but a few years in the military gave them all the drive and determination to survive and excel in my kitchens...

Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM

484 posts, read 1,217,080 times
I got out of the Army after 5 years of active duty and started working while still on terminal leave in Michigan of all places. Like others have said, it's how you present yourself and how much effort you put into it. A lot of guys still buy into that line that all they need to do is tell people that they were in the military and a job will be waiting for them. No go! For the most part, employers don't give a crap if you were in the military. Most want to know what else you bring to the table. If you joined out of high school and did your time just going through the motions, you have nothing more going for you than the average 22 year old who stayed home and flipped burgers. You have to be able to tell perspective employers what you have, how you got it, and what that can do for them.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,625 times
College, College, College......

Experience or not, now a days you need a degree or a trade for a good job. Being in the military may look good if you have some schooling to back it up. A lot of people do not plan ahead when they decide to get out of the military. Retire or just get out, most people do not have a solid plan.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 AM

12 posts, read 46,609 times
I was just talking to my husband about this the other day. He retired from the military and went though the TAP (Transition Assistance Program) class and the resume help that they gave him was soooo cryptic! Luckily I had been through a few resume classes many years ago and could help him. We did our homework though, and he had a job before his retirement ceremony - praise GOD! We also didn't get too hung up on the wage - remember if you are retiring you will be getting a retirement check to help supplement your next income.

Job hunting takes a lot of work. You can't just email your resume and wait for the job offers to roll in. It helps to be proactive. Hand deliver your resume and you might be able to meet with a supervisor or manager. Have a civillian friend read your resume and if there are too many acronyms you may need to use 'laymans terms'. Call the place you want to work and ask for details about the job and duties. Be sincere and have answers for the inevitable job interview questions: What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? Why should we hire you?

Good luck in your job search! God Bless!!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoHills View Post
I was just talking to my husband about this the other day. He retired from the military and went though the TAP (Transition Assistance Program) class and the resume help that they gave him was soooo cryptic! Luckily I had been through a few resume classes many years ago and could help him. We did our homework though, and he had a job before his retirement ceremony - praise GOD! We also didn't get too hung up on the wage - remember if you are retiring you will be getting a retirement check to help supplement your next income.

Job hunting takes a lot of work. You can't just email your resume and wait for the job offers to roll in. It helps to be proactive. Hand deliver your resume and you might be able to meet with a supervisor or manager. Have a civillian friend read your resume and if there are too many acronyms you may need to use 'laymans terms'. Call the place you want to work and ask for details about the job and duties. Be sincere and have answers for the inevitable job interview questions: What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? Why should we hire you?

Good luck in your job search! God Bless!!
Wyphills,
Some good tips. But in this day and age without a degree only so many doors are open. And with the economy the way it is makes it even harder for anyone to land a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues