Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times

Advertisements

I know when I decided to sign up for the ANG it wasn't an option for me to think "I won't be deployed". My father was in the NG before Korea and was mobilized to Korea. He came home extremely wounded and required multiple surgeries/care before he could live even semi-independently. I KNEW the possibilities. BUT I also think the recruiters play down mobilizations to everyone they recruit. By now anyone signing up should know they can and very well may go to Afghanistan/Iraq or any other foreign theater of war. I don't have a solution to the after care of our vets. I don't honestly think there is one except to slowly re-integrate them into "regular society". The US gov't isn't going to continue to pay them to do much "slow re-integration" so that isn't a feasible idea. Being willing and able to admit they need help is the key to anything then getting effective help when they do ask for it is the other.
Good luck to you all and God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
While overseas we had suicide awareness classes once a month even though at a certain level they were treated as a joke.
Very sorry to you and anyone who knows someone who has taken or tied to take their own lives, but frankly, unless they've changed a lot in recent years, such classes ARE a joke (I sat through a number of them). You cannot Powerpoint people to mental health.

Quote:
after the 5 days of demob, the soldier goes home and away from his buddies. He has no support base available except that one weekend a month. He probably does not have anyone who can watch him and know what to look for as a warning sign. He is alone.
I agree the military should have things in place for returning military members (offhand I know there are some, but not sure how much), but I don't buy that going home is being "alone." Ultimately is it the responsibility of the individual, presumably with the help of family and friends, to deal with such things. Again I do not imply the military shouldn't play a part though, by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Welcome to the VMMA Website | VMMA (medical marijuana)

It may no help everyone. I'm sure it would help many.
We aren't talking about relieving cancer symptoms here. The answer to severe depression (including post-traumatic etc) is not "dude let's get stoned."

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-22-2009 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: Cleaned up

Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
Actually he did get the point of the thread.

Anyone who thought that I was complaining about the deployments are the ones who misread the thread. Everyong in the Guard right now have either enlisted or re-upped since the war begin. We knew what we were getting into - multiple deployments. Remember that the unit who has spent the longest amount of time in Iraq was a National Guard unit.

The problem is that after the deployment these soldiers do not have a great support base.

What's the solution? I have no clue. Hell, to be honest I really don't think that there is one. This is an Infantry unit so the guys asking for help is even less likely. However, this soldier HAD asked for help and was receiving it, but hindsight he was too far gone already. I honestly think that if he had been around us everyday we could have caught it.

The real solution is their own communities which helped so many after vietnam and their fellow veterans. There was a total lack of support for vietnam veterans. I have a friend that basically thoiught he was going crazy after vietnam and just couldn't adjust.He was serverly wounded and in hospital for over a dozen surgeries. Then some in his small community got a local radio station to invite him to talk very morning in a call in discussion from 7:00 to 8:00am in Livingston ;Texas.It became the most popular show for the station with many Korean; WWII veterans and of course other vietnam veterans who thought they had been forgotten.Veterans are the real key IMO as no one else will be trusted by those needing help or fully understand really.My friend said that without that show he would never have discussed the thinks that he needed to get out and come to terms with.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:11 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,708 times
Thanks everyone (for the most part). I just had to rant as it came as a shock at first. AFter sitting down and having time to think about it, I think that texdav hit the nail on the head in one manner, only those of us who have been over there can help other veterans. All we have is each other. I should have seen it from the very first. I saw it first hand with my father and the VVA. They helped him the most for his readjustment then anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
This is for AD, but I wanted to mention it since it is related to the subject of integration. I was on base yesterday and they had a huge sign up at the MTF advertising the family retreat sessions they have for returning deployed airmen and their families. It includes the whole family (its not one of those ones where you are SOL if you can't find someone to babysit for an entire weekend) and activities for everyone. Its up out in the country, away from the base and city.

I thought that it was a great thing, and wish they had things like this the last time my husband came home from OEF.

We do have a ANG unit here so I wonder if they can use it too. I did not read the fine print b/c it does not apply to us right now.

We had the family retreat offered to us. The first chance was offered about 3 months after we got home. That one was canceled and then the next one offered was almost a year later.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:44 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I served 20+ years on AD in the US Navy, and I am currently on pension. I have never served in the NG, though I have known many Navy Reservists.

All combat vets have these issues. They are not exclusive to Reservists.

I am currently the Chaplain for my local VFW post. I see VFW members having 'issues' all the time. It happens among combat vets.

Should more be done? I do not know. I do not know what more can be done.

I do recommend that every combat vet join the VFW. The post may be a collection of different vets: WWII vets, Korean War vets, VN vets, and Kosovo [like me] vets. But we all have that one thing in common, we have all seen combat.

What are the 'best' drugs? I have no idea. The VA will offer some amazing mind altering drugs if you think such will 'help'. I know many vets who are on those drugs. It may help the outbursts a bit, but I am not sure it helps the real issues. Marijuana? I do not know. Each vet needs to do what helps that vet.

I think that being around other vets helps.

Unfortunately at the VFW many are drunks. Does the alcohol help? I dont know. For some it only adds onto their issues.

But at least they are around other vets.

As to the time period needed, I should add, a vet might be fine for 10 years, before his first real episode with issues. So to suggest that a month is needed, 3 months, 6 months, no these are not the answer.

A combat vet needs to be around other combat vets.

May God bless you.

Last edited by Submariner; 10-10-2009 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Ooops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues