Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

Hi Bryan. I was an F-111 crew chief in the Air Force from 1968 to 1972 and can tell you the flight line jobs can be pretty tough in the heat and cold of the summers and winters. However for an enlisted young man who seeks a life's challenge and also wants to be near high technology, the AF flight lines can be exciting as well as very rewarding.

Best of luck in your decision and my family thanks you for considering service to your country as one of your options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Your body will get used to an exercise routine, so you need to change it up every so often to work different muscles groups and to continue challenging your body. Try a P90X type workout or some rigorous circuit training. It doesn't eat up too much time and it really pushes you. Watch what you eat as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM

39 posts, read 313,023 times
I was just talking to someone about the P90X videos yesterday. I'm trying to find it for a reasonable price. Any suggestions?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,122 times
OP, Good luck to you. And once you're in, keep your nose clean, don't roll with the dirtbags and once you find that outstanding NCO to emulate, stick with 'em and learn from them.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 PM

42 posts, read 182,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Your body will get used to an exercise routine, so you need to change it up every so often to work different muscles groups and to continue challenging your body. Try a P90X type workout or some rigorous circuit training. It doesn't eat up too much time and it really pushes you. Watch what you eat as well.
Yeah, thats how I got down to under 220 before. Ive done P90, P90 master series and even one round of P90X. I love it...I actually started it up again this past monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post
OP, Good luck to you. And once you're in, keep your nose clean, don't roll with the dirtbags and once you find that outstanding NCO to emulate, stick with 'em and learn from them.
Trust me, Ive always been the "Clean nose" type haha. Never gotten in any type of trouble what so ever my entire life including during school.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:28 AM

39 posts, read 313,023 times
I got my fingers on a couple of P90X DVD's from a friend!! Can't wait to go home and try it out!!

Bryan, how's everything going for you? Any update with anything?

Old 10-17-2009, 06:26 PM

42 posts, read 182,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF090909 View Post
I got my fingers on a couple of P90X DVD's from a friend!! Can't wait to go home and try it out!!

Bryan, how's everything going for you? Any update with anything?

Well, I want to say, that when it comes to P90X, its about 70% diet and 30% exercise. If you utilize the diet plan alone, you will deff see weight loss. That and the exercises will really kick your ass.

I started the diet along with just doing cardio (running 3 miles a day) on Sept 20th, since then I have went from 279lbs down to (as of yesterday) 260.1 lbs...I started the routine once again this past monday, and I feel great.

Also, you will want to see about trying to get a copy of the diet and schedule plans. There is a certain way the workouts go.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:18 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
High_Plains_Retired covered it pretty well; the flight line is both the best and the worst of USAF jobs! Wouldn't trade my time out there for anything. I would've NEVER chosen aircraft maintenance as my USAF specialty when I first enlisted, but I was more interested in getting away from home and so I took what they offered and never looked back. I guess what I really enjoyed was the hustle and teamwork. And if you like "results-oriented" jobs, the flight line sure offers them; there's nothing like seeing the jet you worked on take off for a mission! Yeah, the weather can be hot, cold, rainy or snowy. But there really is no place like that ramp. (You feel sorry for the "shoe Clerks" when the weather is nice!) And if you work on the larger aircraft like cargo and bomber aircraft, you always have a dry place to do your paperwork!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Glad to see both sides being mentioned on here for a change...It's a rough job. Very high odds of having long hours...Many places an 24-7, where you could be working only overnights during weekends and holidays. Even if you're ok with that schedule, you'll learn you'll at least have a couple of appointment for various things that are only open on business hours. Another huge complaint is those who can work with civilians. Basically you could be doing the same job beside them, only they get paid 5 times more and work as half and half the amount of hours. Also, like others have said in other long-hour jobs, there will be a lot of people who will do the minimum to get by. Reseach beyond here, military and afforums has a lot more people than here. If you want a hands on job that you work with on aircrafts, many people including myself recommend NDI or non destructive inspector. Obviously, it will have it's faults like anything.

As far as working out, the P90X and the "changing the routine"...It's all about motivation. P90X sells the gimmick of changing the routine...That has the least amount of effect especially when it comes to losing weight. Motivation is the key, need to stay motivated to the diet and exercise.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:27 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Diet:
During most of my career, we did not have access to fresh fruits or veggies.

Any fruits or veggies would have been dehydrated stuff that had been re-constituted and cooked. One choice of veggie per meal, served along side of deep-fat-fried entries, and fresh bread.

A few routine items like pizza once a week and burgers for lunch twice each week.

Otherwise our menu was planned as a 6-week schedule. In that 6-week menu will be a couple Mexican meals [tacos or enchiladas], a couple steak and potato meals, fish fillet meals, Chinese-like meals, a few pasta and sauce meals, and one lobster meal. Then it repeats, every 6-weeks it repeats. Really 6 weeks is long enough that you do not get bored with any one thing.

If you are allergic to shell-fish then you are only going to skip a dinner once a month.

Life would have been really bad for any vegetarians. You could avoid the meat entree and triple up on the veggie serving. But that would have been boring.

A few of the guys I served with had to attend nutrition classes, to help them control their weight. But it just got them more frustrated since they would return from a 1-week nutrition school back to the boat and the same foods being served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues