Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 AM

484 posts, read 1,214,728 times

Advertisements

Most true bangers are too far gone to be of any use to the military. The police don't scare them, do you really think a guy running around with a round brown hat on will?

Even allowing corporal punishment will not help. These types of kids will hit back. The military can't change anyone who doesn't want to change.

This sort of social experiment would only hurt the military more. Good kids will not want to serve, only to be surrounded by thugs. It will only strengthen the perception too many people already have of the military: it's a place of last resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 AM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
No way. Too many of them bring military training back to the streets, and the military shouldn't be a dumping ground for societies rejects anyway. People need to EARN the right to be in the military. Just as they should EARN the right to be part of society and not locked away somewhere forever.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:27 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,502,701 times
The problem is...

Boot camp aint what it used to be. It is easy now. The depth of the discipline has decreased so much that it would be easy for a gangbanger to get through without much change in attitude or outlook. Then...you have the risk of a guy basically off the streets with a weapon issued to him!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:45 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,301,565 times
Default No!!!!!!

Now, I have met some reformed troubled teens because of the military but I am talking about petty crime. Gang bangers are at a differant level most likely prison time type of trouble. Allowing these folks in the military would only relocate the trouble and crowd the military jails.

In addition, I question their mental strength. It takes alot of stength and restrate(sp) to stand at attention while getting ripped by TI or DI. Because deep down inside we want to knock his or her block off. Personnally, I think a gang banger lacks that strength and would react.

I could go on and on. To be active duty/national guard or reserve in any service requires discipline, intelligence and dedication. I am sorry, but I do not see either in a gang banger. Loose cannons never make it far.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,147,960 times
Society should not push its undesireables off on the military.

The military was not the cause of those problems, the military should not be expected to correct those problems.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:04 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,915,917 times
You also have to take into account that these kids, as years by, will go up in ranks (granted they don't screw up badly to be discharged) and will be someone's supervisor. The military is a 24/7 role & responsibility, on-duty and off. If they still have dirtbag ways and they lead with that attitude, they're an influence to the younger impressionable troops coming into the service. If they don't straighten up they're a liability, all around, with their superiors who have to babysit them and the troops under them who have to follow their orders.

(Granted I still see dirtbags, former gangbangers or not, who slide by. There's good and bad in the service).

Old 10-17-2009, 09:45 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,145,001 times
The military shouldn't be used as a punishment. The military at it's best, provides people with a career that they enjoy and can do until they retire (and hopefully it translates into the civilian world). It also works well for people who aren't really sure what they want to do and respond well to discipline.

As a former civilian who worked in the Commander's Office, I saw a steady stream of people being summoned to the First Sergeant's office and plenty of people being dishonorably discharged.

While I certainly would be in favor of a military-style bootcamp for gangbangers, I would never wish the newly-enlisted young people joining the military and then finding out their new roommate was a gangbanger. The mentality of most gangbangers would not be conducive to the military "you do what we tell you to do even if you don't like it and you respond, "yes sir"" discipline. Plus, the true gangbangers who are high school dropouts would never get past the tests or background checks.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:54 PM

132 posts, read 369,644 times
Armed gangbangers in the military would be a very bad idea. Military corruption is something you don't want to get going, because the military being practically a state unto itself, things could go South fast - talk about inviting a frag! Corruption is something Latin American armies have to deal with, you don't want the U.S. military looking anything like that, it would effect everything, including their ability to defend the country.

Personally, I think every individual with gang tats/ties, should be arrested, and executed or deported ( many are immigrants ). Because they're no good to society, and even prison is just a free homecoming for most of them. That would clear the streets in a hurry.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,503,248 times
Many thoughtful posts above! And it's a tough issue. In today's military, there's NO time to babysit youngsters who aren't mature enough to "hit the ground running". So, in that context, the military is no place for kids in their late teens that have a track record of violence and crime. Now, having said that, more than a few kids enlist who need plenty of "direction" in their lives that haven't been involved with the civilian legal system. Even Combat Arms is rapidly becoming so advanced that "some college" may be required to operate the equipment those folks are using today. Would it be nice to allow the few that aren't too deep in legal trouble and could possibly be 'squared away" by joining the military? Sounds great, but I'm not sure we as a nation can afford it. And, as others above have already pointed out, it wouldn't be fair to those who HAVE been good kids before they enlisted...

Old 10-17-2009, 11:11 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,209,816 times
Bad idea all around,for all of the reasons given.These guys were bleep ups as civilians,and with rare exceptions,they are going to be bleep ups in the armed forces.Post #28 mentioned the disturbing trend of bangers able to pass background screening and enlisting.After doing a combat tour or two they get discharged or perhaps kicked out,and then go home and train their homies in the combat skills and tactics they learned while in.Grim thought.To be fair about it,have heard tales of a few,very few,men going the other way.For the first time in their lives they have a sense of pride and accomplishment in what they are doing,and most important,they realize that their real friends are next to them in the barracks,and not back home.Sad in that only a few of them will be smart and strong enough to go this route and leave the gang influence behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues