Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 12:25 PM

18 posts, read 50,751 times

Advertisements

We left Madrid in 1972 and living there is still burned in my brain.
Dad was station at Torrejon from 1968 thru 1972. Royal Oaks then Las Torres at Ave de Burgos 20 was home. Still miss it like crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 25,820 times
Default Regard Royal Oaks

Hello,

I lived at Royal Oaks from 1968-1971, roughly the same time frame. My Dad was in the Air Force stationed at Torrejon, as well. I was looking up Royal Oaks on Google Maps and noticed it appeared to be under construction. So I did so more net surfing and found it was being redeveloped as an upscaled La Moreleja.

I wonder if we knew each other? I was there when I was 12-15, 6th-8th grade. I have a lot of fond memories of the place. I was also a Boy Scout in Troop 218.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 25,725 times
I miss it too! We lived in Royal Oaks from 1969-1972. I was 8-12 and attended both the elementary and middle school. A part of me will forever live there.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 25,548 times
my dad was in the air force at torrejon air base at madrid,spain. we were, my whole family was the from 63 -66. it sure has shcnge alot since we left i was in 6-8 grades there. i sure miss it lot!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 25,485 times
Lived in Madrid(Mirasierra) 1960-1964. Dad was Civilian Personnel Officer at Torrejon. I was 11-15yo and went to 5th and 6th grade at Generalissimo Elementary and 7th and 8th at Royal Oaks. I have many great memories of Spain. Loved every minute.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:28 AM

2 posts, read 50,237 times
Default Etched in my mind forever

I was trying to see my old residence in Royal Oaks on Google Street view when I learned Torrejon AFB closed in the 90s and Royal Oaks was demolished! I was bummed out about that and looking for more when I came across this Memory site. I am amazed to learn how many other people have such fond memories of living in the Roaks. We lived in Madrid when we first got there and I remember we had rats in the bathroom and I played with the Spanish children with no language barriers ever getting in the way. We played Cops and Robbers with them as well and somehow we were always the cops... We moved to unit 31C and lived there from 1967 to 1970. I was in Ms. Hartzog's 3rd grade class in 1968 like Jerry and wonder if he remembers me. I wish I could remember a lot of names like so many of you but am limited. I remember we, my brothers and I, hung out with the Shetterlys. There was Erin, Kiko, Joe and about five more. They lived in La Moraleja and were children of an embassy employee. I often think of the huge pool that I got to swim on the swim team in and went to every day of summer. To this day I love swimming pools and think of it every time I enjoy a nice one. Remember the baby pool how it was a gorgeous piece of landscaping as well? I used to get to go some of the dances though I was too young because my mom would chaperone. "I'm So Dizzy"- "Yummy Yummy Yummy I got love in my tummy" "Jam up and jelly tight" on and on. The music of the era was one of the best things. And yes I remember the Candy Man with his huge satchel and the peddler in the caravan. Peepas and cases of drinks delivered weekly. I have spoken often of Sewer Hopping with no response showing any kind of understanding of how fun it was. No one else on earth has ever heard of it! Because of the great skill learned by my brothers I escaped a gypsy who chased me through the woods. I was able to cross one sewer that he did not attempt and when I reached the playground at the elementary school and looked back he was returning to where he came from! I just brought that story up to my husband a couple of days ago exclaiming how different my life would be if I had been captured. crazy... My siblings are all older than I am- Rebecca. Suzy, Ted, Rick Sawyer. My brothers would play war with me and on their own they would throw rocks at street lights and get in trouble with the Spanish guardia. They peed in bottles and tried to get people to believe it was wine. We used to ring doorbells and run. Our phone number was 743-- "La Moraleja-- diga me!" And the wonderful, sunny days running through the fields I will never forget. There was a hill with white letters on it-- anyone remember? Beautiful spot. The cathedrals and the Royal Palace. Yes, I am reminded of Spain often. So many things take me back and I had realized long ago that I look back on that time more then I refer to any other time and place in my life. I remember the iguanas we would put in the metal trash barrels to startle the next person to open it. I remember the Rastro and Navacerrada. I live in southern Wyoming and it gets cold and can be very hot and dry in the summer as well which somehow reminds me of climate of Spain. Even some of the landscape and the plateaus bring me back.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 50,237 times
Default more thoughts

Found previous Royal Oaks Elementary students forum now as well and reading even more journeys into the past that along with what I have pried from the cobwebs of my mind on this site have overwhelmed me with all of the things I have not thought about for years, especially all at one time. Devil's Cliff was another of the seemingly endless adventures we shared. The smell of a hamburger grilling never ceases to bring me back to those wonderful quarter hamburgers sold at the pool. Living there also made you a fudgesicle fan for life. We would sleep out on the patio on hot summer nights and my brothers would just spend the night away from the house returning in time to not get caught. All of the peddlers too with their carts and wares. My dad also bought from the oil paintings peddler and I am looking at the painting we fondly call "the senorita" depicting a lovely buxom young spanish lady. Names are coming back now too-- Susan and Terri Garcia, Ann Eikenberry and her parents- Candy and Randy Moon, the Cunninghams... Playing tether ball, kick the can, staying out late in the summers regardless that I was only 7, 8 and 9. I still love eating very late in the summer especially something grilled. Spent all kinds of time outdoors and set a pattern for the rest of my life. My dad brought back sour sticks from TDY and everyone kept wanting them so much that my mom ended up selling them to the neighborhood. I did not like that at all as I could just eat them myself til they were gone if allowed. Hope I connect with someone that stirs a memory with my sharing.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 24,830 times
I lived in the Oaks from 78 to 81. We were stationed at Torrejon for 3 years.
I remember living in TLQ for about 90 days before we got the house. I saw some videos of the school in shambles. I lived right up the two hills from that school.

Peddlers selling paintings, milk and eggs, potato chips. Unreal.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 AM

122 posts, read 372,461 times
Wow!!! Its been awhile since I originally posted.
ROAF007 you are just a little older than me, I was 8 in 1968
kasota and jichy, I very well could have known you back then.
jichy, the name Rick Sawyer rings a bell and I knew Ann Eikenberry. Her parents had a blue Volvo Station wagon and their house was on a hill. We used to build forts and play with Matchbox cars and built little cities. Our Unit was 60-A. Our driveway went to the low road. We could see the Fruteria from our dining room window.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 PM

122 posts, read 372,461 times
Just saw utube video of Unit 119-C. So much has changed. Not anything like when we were there.
Of course, back in "our time" the Roaks was full of us kids that had trounced paths throughout Roaks. We had no sidewalks, only in front of the pool. The high road, low road, the Fruteria, Candy Man, the Pie Man (Dale), Pottery man, the painter (Mr Cherrytree), guitar teacher Vincent, Fanta drinks delivered to the house, Mom's hair dresser Segario, our maids who served up tapas for lunch. When we arrived in Madrid, we stayed at the Aitenna Hotel for about 3 months, then moved to the Oaks. Unit 60-A was our new home. Soon after, our new '68 VW bus arrived. Attended Royal Oaks Elementary. 3rd grade-Ms. Hartzog (she drove a '68 VW fastback, Spanish Sra Munoz, 4th grade Mr
Martinez (drove a '64 gold Rambler), 5th grade Mr Hanson, (played flag football, he drove a white '68 VW Karman Ghia). Got to see Frank Borman (astronaut) at Barajas. I was a bus patrol for the younger elementary school kids. 6th grade was at the base. Ms Aldrich, home room, both Mr and Mrs Cardinali. Mrs for english and Mr for Math. Coach Thacker for PE. Took shop, don't remember teacher's name. Starting becoming a blur in 7th grade. Dad transferred to Saudi Arabia, we/family moved from Roaks to Las Torres. Met the Liddingtons (lived upstairs from us) still played baseball for the Avengers, major league (little leage team) (Note: Steve Liddington died last year) Started "parting" with the high school "kids" from Las Torres. 12 years old and going to the bars by Las Torres, smoking, staying out all night. Last days in Madrid were in the Oaks with Mark and Scott Keller, Rick Sotomayor, Jeff Luna and some guy named Ron. All up closer to the front gate. Then back to Torrejon after my parents got back from Malorca to pick us up and back to the States. The time there seemed to be dragging by, while we were there, after we left, all I could do was beg my dad to get re-assigned back to Madrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues