Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 10:43 AM

22 posts, read 47,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou hayes View Post
I lived on Royal Oaks 1969-1971. My husband Sgt deejay Hayes worked at Torrejon on the radio communications and worked evenings showing the movies at the theatre..We lived near the Fruitera that turned into a bar club at night. Wine delivered to your door for .18cents bottle . Same price as gas on base. Jeanie in the block and her husband babysat the local children. She was a saint. A commissary truck came around everyday. Smokes $1 a packet...My son Shen went to 1st grade school. Bought oil paintings from the street merchants. Everyone was soaking their local vegetables in bleached water ..I never did as I come from New Zealand ..we like to build up a few anti bodies! We all lived to make it back to upstate NY, 6 yrs Germany and 12 years Hawaii. It was a great time. Eating late and nite clubing, shucking oysters at 5 in the morning at the oyster bar,
Driving home you might be lucky the street cleaner gave you a free car wash with his hose. Miss those Tapas!
our place was at 63A Camino del Reyas (think that's right!?)
very near the Officers Club and also across the street from the Fruiteria.
there about 1964-'67 give or take a year or two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 07:58 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
I grew up on Torrejon AFB. Plenty of memories but too young to be of much help here.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy714 View Post
We left Madrid in 1972 and living there is still burned in my brain.
Dad was station at Torrejon from 1968 thru 1972. Royal Oaks then Las Torres at Ave de Burgos 20 was home. Still miss it like crazy.

HI!
I was student at Torrejon AFB from '63-'67 went to the Elementary school there & lived at 63-A very near the fruiteria. I've got some photos & maps that may be interesting to you. it would be interesting to talk. my address:

kennnaaa@yahoo.com

ken king

Old 11-30-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhipp-retiree View Post
my dad was in the air force at torrejon air base at madrid,spain. we were, my whole family was the from 63 -66. it sure has shcnge alot since we left i was in 6-8 grades there. i sure miss it lot!

HI!
I was student at Torrejon AFB from '63-'67 went to the Elementary school there & lived at 63-A very near the fruiteria. I've got some photos & maps that may be interesting to you. it would be interesting to talk. my address:

kennnaaa@yahoo.com

ken king

Old 12-01-2015, 08:11 PM

Default Torrejon school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah granstrom View Post
Hi lived there from 68 ti 71. It was such a fun place.
Deborah
hi
do you remember your teachers' names at Royal Oaks I just received 100's of photos, many are class photos between 1965-'84 and many other kinds of photos rom the base
send a note,
my address:
kennnaaa@yahoo.com

hope ot hear form you soon
Ken King

Old 12-01-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.hill View Post
We were there from Dec.63 to Dec.66 & still recall how much fun my little brother Ray and I had there. Best place (by far) our dad was ever stationed. I remember Mrs. Love, 4th grade, was the best teacher I ever had. Becky sat behind me was a total Beatles nut, that awesome pool, my friends Mark Kagle, Vince Brown, and David Matthews. Paula upstairs (first girl that kissed me). Oh man! The Fruteria, going into Madrid, the stables behind the school playground,& seeing "Hard Days Night"at the theater that was also the church and the school auditorium. Feel I'm very lucky to be able to have those good memories.
R. Hill
HI
don't remember if I'd written to you before about Royal Oaks schools.
I also remember Mrs Love and was there between '63-'67 also
send a note, I've got 100''s of photos from Torrojon & Royal Oaks and 30-40 class photos from various years

kennnaaa@yahoo.com

Ken King

Old 12-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Default Royal Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAF007 View Post
Hello,

I lived at Royal Oaks from 1968-1971, roughly the same time frame. My Dad was in the Air Force stationed at Torrejon, as well. I was looking up Royal Oaks on Google Maps and noticed it appeared to be under construction. So I did so more net surfing and found it was being redeveloped as an upscaled La Moreleja.

I wonder if we knew each other? I was there when I was 12-15, 6th-8th grade. I have a lot of fond memories of the place. I was also a Boy Scout in Troop 218.

HI
I left Royal Oaks/Torrejon about 1967. I have 100's of photos and would be happy to send you a link to them. the photos include baseball, football and basketball teams, class photos, boy scout troops group photos, you very well may find yourself in one of them.
I'm Kenneth King, lived at 63-A very near the Fruiteria and an eternal "Brat" and loved my time at Torrejon
my address:
kennnaaa@yahoo.com

hope to speak soon
Ken

Old 12-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.hill View Post
We were there from Dec.63 to Dec.66 & still recall how much fun my little brother Ray and I had there. Best place (by far) our dad was ever stationed. I remember Mrs. Love, 4th grade, was the best teacher I ever had. Becky sat behind me was a total Beatles nut, that awesome pool, my friends Mark Kagle, Vince Brown, and David Matthews. Paula upstairs (first girl that kissed me). Oh man! The Fruteria, going into Madrid, the stables behind the school playground,& seeing "Hard Days Night"at the theater that was also the church and the school auditorium. Feel I'm very lucky to be able to have those good memories.
R. Hill

I was at Torrejon at the same time. when to grade school there and lived at 63-A near the fruiteria. send a note, I've 100's of photos from the period between 1963-'85. class photos, baseball, basketball and football team photos, the pool, various activities.

hope ot hear form you soon
Ken King
kennnaaa@yahoo.com

Old 12-02-2015, 11:55 AM

Default Torrejon

Quote:
Originally Posted by emichaelis View Post
My name is Ernie Michaelis, I lived in Royal Oaks twice. First time was from 1966-1970 (6 to 10 yrs old) at 145B and second time 1972-1975 (12 to 15 years old) at 185B. My Dad was in the Army and assigned to the Embassey in Madrid both times. I played a lot of baseball every time (Pirates, Warriors, Yankees...) and football one year for the chiefs. I also played basketball in the Oaks and freshman year. I had a sister a year younger and spent a lot of time at the pool. My last 2 years I was on the swim team at Torrejon. I didn't realize how great a place I had grown up in till we left. I have a lot of fond memories of both the Oaks and the base... especially all the days sitting at the back gate hitching a ride to base and back.
DID YOU KNOW A CHRIS HOLLAND (WITH A BROTHER NAMED GREG) WHO WAS ALSO ON THE SWIM TEAM IN 1970? He took 1st place that year!
I'm Kenneth King, lived at 63-A from '63-'67 give or take a year. went to 1st-3rd grads there.
I also remember the 'Hitching-post' at the back gate.
I've got 100's of photos of Torrejon & Royal Oaks- baseball, football, basketball team photos, class photos & photos of activities in and around torrejon, would be happy to share them with you

my address:
kennnaaa@yahoo.com

regards
Ken King

Old 12-04-2015, 01:08 AM

Default Royal Oaks Elementary

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfmill View Post
I lived in Royal Oaks for about a year during the 61-62 school year. I was in 3rd grade. That was one of my favorite places to live. We moved from Spangdahlem, Germany in August of 61 and had to live in a hotel in Madrid until housing at Royal Oaks was available. I want to say we lived in 120C, but I can't guarantee that wasn't at another base. My third grade teacher was Miss Malatesta.
I was in grade school at ROyal oaks at the same time.
I'd like tocmpare notes
please contact me at the following address
kennnaaa@yahoo.com

Ken King
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues