Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 11:49 PM

7 posts, read 12,762 times

Advertisements

Think I’ll stay away from really long posts & do a few shorter ones. Here is a really kewl site but could use your help to fill in the gaps...https://www.facebook.com/MadridTorre...hoolYearbooks/
If anyone can help complete the 1969 & 1970 annuals, I’m sure the community would be grateful.
Also, if anyone has a Torrejon middle school yearbook 1967-68 (whichever has Greg Rodriguez section 8-6) & would like to sell it or would give me a price for scanning it & selling the files, I can be contacted at gregr34@gmail.com.

I saw an earlier post on this site mentioning the name Jeff Hustad. The Hustads lived above us in 146 ROAKS and were a wonderful family to have as neighbors. Sadly, Cindy H. Passed away recently, and Jeff posted a beautiful obituary on the aforementioned site. I showed this to my family during the Thanksgiving holiday & someone brought it to my attention that she had a younger sister who was a year younger than me (7th grade in 1967-68}. She was not mentioned in the obit. Does anyone remember her name? Back to Cindy, she was a wonderfully gifted person, beautiful inside & out. My fondest memory was of her running down the stairs to show me her newly acquired Sgt. Pepper’s album....RIP Cindy Lou......

Another post by DaDarby is testing my memory...Da, if you’are still checking in, did you sit in with a band that played at a middle school pool party in 1967? Did you play “Midnight hour”?

Another poster mentioned Janet Iglesias, who gave me or attended my “going away party”. Gave me a heck of a good-bye kiss...don’t deny it.

I have more to write about....soon....thanks to everyone for listening....Happy Holidays & Go Dawgs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 12:26 AM

https://www.amazon.com/World-1-Kerry...orld+Kerry+may
For you avid readers and anyone who wants to re-live the days that we all seem to cherish...Paul May was entering Torrejon and ROAKS just as we were heading back to the States (1968-69). Those who knew him & had the pleasure of attending Madrid High with him, probably didn’t realize that they were in the presence of such an incredible writer. When I first became aware of this series, I was expecting a sophomoric, sort of “this one time at band camp” kind of thing. Boy, was I ever wrong. After reading volume 1, I ordered the remaining 3 books and literally couldn’t put them down. Even though they are a fictional account of his high school days, the locations from the front gate of ROAKS to Torrejon and everything in between and around La Moraleja, not to mention excursions to famous sites in Madrid and the surrounding area are spot-on real. Trips to Rota and the other bases that hosted high school sporting events are included with such believability that you realize some of his stories are true. Some things you can’t make up. Reviews are very positive, and I highly recommend these books to anyone who wants to go back in time to our “happy place”....one thing that hooked me right off was the fact that my last memory of ROAKS is hitch-hiking from the back gate to Torrejon for the last time. The opening page of Book One has Paul hitchhiking from the back gate of ROAKS to Torrejon after practicing basketball at the gym in ROAKS.....from then on it was like being transported back in time. So strange to read a novel and realize you have been to that movie theater, that pool, the teen club, the stables, the fruteria, etc. etc. etc....very strange experience to read about Paul & his friend walking from “the circle” to the gym and knowing they were walking right by my old house. His descriptions of the bus ride home from dances on base to the inside stories of being a jock at MHS to his problems with authority and of course, teen romance, all come together for a very enjoyable read.....This is probably more of a man’s book, since Paul’s life centered so much around sports and girls, so be forewarned if you’re a lady.........Anyway, getting tired so I’ll quit before I bore myself to sleep.....Next post we get down to some of my stories of Spain, and they won’t be fictional......See ya soon.....Greg

Old 12-24-2017, 04:59 PM

10 posts, read 11,452 times
Anybody went to Royal Oaks Elementary between 1976-1979 1-3 grade?

Old 01-04-2018, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
I too lived in Madrid, we were from mid '71 to '77. I loved it! We lived in downtown Madrid in el Bosque, dentro de Aturro Soria. I also went to Royal Oaks Elementary, had Mr Walden for 5th grade. I recently had the opportunity to go back to Spain and it was incredible! We stayed in Barcelona for three days, rented a car and drove to Avignon France, then to a private villa in Girona province for the last week. Although we did not make it to Madrid I am planning a return trip to visit the old house we lived in and go to Formentor swimming pool and see friends still there. You can PM me or call Randy @ 334-549-2650

Old 01-04-2018, 06:31 PM

RpMontz....that was a long deployment. Is that common in the (I’m guessing) Air Force? We were Army. Is that an AL area code? I live in Columbus, GA. Go Dawgs!...

Old 01-12-2018, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 8,358 times
Default Class Photos

I'm looking for Class Photos for the Elementary School from 1963-1967
Any help out there?

Old 01-12-2018, 02:16 PM

Default Pool Photos?!

I GOT PHOTOS IF YOU'RE INTERESTED/
SEND A NOTE:
sedatepmr@gmail.com

Ken King

Old 01-12-2018, 02:19 PM

Default Year & Beatles' Movie?

Mind my asking what years you were there and what Beatles movie you saw?
I saw the Beatles movie: "HELP" and would it to have been 1966,
we lived at 63-A from '63-'67 give or take a year or three
thanks
Ken King

Old 01-12-2018, 02:24 PM

Interesting, my dad was Lt Col Darryl L. King in the 613th Squadron from '63-'67 or longer, not sure...

we lived at 63-A near the Fruitera

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpare View Post
I remember Leonard King. I was in Spain for half of 6th grade and all of 7th from 1967-68. I lived on the high road at the bus stop near the field that led down to the swimming pool. I lived upstairs from Lynne and Ralph Schmehl (sp?). It was a short tour, but one of my fondest memories as an air force brat.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:48 PM

Default Gotcha'

you'll find on Facebook "NanRomo" on a page called Madrid/Torrejon High School Yearbook she is a mutual friend of Jeff Hustad currently residing in Tuscon, Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues