Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnorman View Post
My dad was stationed at Torrejon from 1964-1970. We lived in Canijellas near Barajas. I went to elementary school at Roaks and at the base. I would ride my bike back to Royal Oaks to be with my friends after school let out and we were bused home. Of course this was unbeknownst to my parents. I still consider Spain to be home. I miss the adventure, the freedom and the food very much. Visited in 1999 and it had already changed radically but my home was still there. But now, based on Google Earth, I barely recognize the place. Having a strong pull to return - maybe retirement. Wow that's a foreign word.
We lived on Calle de la Raza in Canillejas. I remember the Spanish kids mimicking us when we went trick or treating around the neighborhood to Other Americans living there My brothers and I used to play on what we called the hills over near Barajas. Then there were the yellow school buses that would pick us up at the field where we used to play baseball. Anyway we had a blast living there. Been trying to find some school friends but no luck as of yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,619 times
Forgot to mention from 69-71. I was 8-11 yrs old

Old 06-27-2020, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,931 times
Default Live in Madrid 1968 - 72

My father was stationed at Torrejon AFB from 1968->1972. He was assigned to the JUSMG-MAAG unit & we lived in Madrid during those years. My brother and I attended the school on the base & recall the daily bus ride to school. We live at Victor de la Serna 26. At the time these were new apartments that had just been built. There were several other US families, along with German, and English families as well.

Since we spoke Spanish, we had both Spanish and American friends to play with. It was a great time living in Spain sheltered from the craziness that was going on in the US at the time. But I do recall some troubles at the high school our last year. Bomb threats, students fighting. Racial stuff.

I also remember going to the movies and pool in Royal Oaks.

These were great years.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,931 times
We also lived in Madrid 1968 --> 1972. Yes, I still recall my parents calling for El Serreno to let us in our building.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:52 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbas View Post
We also lived in Madrid 1968 --> 1972. Yes, I still recall my parents calling for El Serreno to let us in our building.
I lived in Madrid in the mid-60's I well remember El Sereno. I could clap for him to come and let me (sometimes us...LOL) in. They were old men who watched the street from dusk to dawn. They worked for tips. The practice was stopped in the early 1970's.

There is some talk of reviving the practice with younger, trained people.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 12,779 times
Is it true that Madrid High had 2 football teams in 1969, the Torrejon base team and a separate team from ROAKS? Cant imagine what that would have been like. If true, who was the dominant team and does anyone have the rosters they could post? I know, fat chance.......Thanks!

Old 04-22-2021, 05:11 AM

1 posts, read 624 times
Default Any part of Royal Oaks still there?

My father, Leonard Swope, was stationed there 69-71. We lived in Royal Oaks in 70-71. I may be visiting Madrid near end of 2021 or beginning of 2022. Does anyone know if any part of Royal Oaks is still there? If so, how would I find it?

Old 06-28-2021, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,089 times
I taught Second Grade at Royal Oaks in 1962-62 and Third Grade in Generalisimo in 1963-64. At that time I was called Miss (Janet) Brown.. I would love to hear from anyone who was there at that time.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,089 times
I taught Second Grade at Royal Oaks in 1962-62 and Third Grade in Generalisimo in 1963-64. At that time I was called Miss (Janet) Brown.. I would love to hear from anyone who was there at that time. I treasure my time in Madrid. The people were so friendly and the country has so many interesting things to see and do. I have often thought about my students and wondered how their lives have been.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by depotdave View Post
My family and I lived in the Royal Oaks during the spring of '65. I was finishing the fifth grade and was in MS. Greenlee's class. I, too, thought her to be a mighty witch. The worst thing, though, was getting into trouble with the lunchroom overseer for making "farting" sounds under my shirt and armpit. I barely remember the pool where my mom talked to her friends about the latest fad which was the topless bathing suit. My dad was in the Air Force and stationed at an off-site location near Toledo. He and some others would carpool there for the work-week and back again for the weekend. Seems as though we lived up on a hill as I remember walking home from school and being soooo thirsty that my neighbor and I would drain water from other people's water hoses. During the summer of '65 we drove our '60 Chevy from there, through France (which had just kicked the Americans out due to France quitting NATO) to my dad's next assignment which was Wiesbaden, Germany. But while in Spain, we got to see an actual "kill the bull" bull fight. We were also blessed to get invited to our house maid's parents home for a truly authentic Spanish meal. It was truly a unique time to be a kid. Thanks for the memories, Dad.
I also had Ms Greenlee in 64 or 65 I cant remember but do remember she was a mean lady. She made us square dance and practice so we could win the PTA award. She would stretch out wire hangars and hit us with them when out of line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues