Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 26,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norjope View Post
I had a toy Winchester repeating rifle I got for Christmas when I was a kid in Spain. I was sitting outside near our house driveway when a gang of young gypsies walked by and one of them yanked the toy rifle from me and ran away. I was flogged black and blue by my father. Not a good moment. Lol.
Our modista made a new dress for me, copied from the Sears catalog. When she finished, my mom handwashed it and hung it out to dry on the clothesline. About the time it would be dry, I went to take it in and saw a gypsy girl and her brother stealing it. Furious, I grabbed my shoes and ran out of the house after her. I felt anger as never before, and I was out to get revenge! I didn't realize my dad had jumped into the car and was in hot pursuit of me. He caught up with me just before I caught up to her. My dad forced me into the car and proceeded to slap me, the whole time he kept saying "do you realize you could start an international incident and ruin my military career". I didn't think at all before I ran, heck, we were just kids. The moral of these stories...we had alot of responsibility, and most of us didn't have a clue. I guess, we can be thankful for our fathers discipline (it is called child abuse today).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 26,923 times
Default We have to share something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoopBBoop View Post
Lived in Madrid(Mirasierra) 1960-1964. Dad was Civilian Personnel Officer at Torrejon. I was 11-15yo and went to 5th and 6th grade at Generalissimo Elementary and 7th and 8th at Royal Oaks. I have many great memories of Spain. Loved every minute.
I would bet that I know you, we probably crossed paths at least once. I was in 6th graded at the elementary school that was above the commissary/exchange in Madrid. We moved to ROaks quarters 103-B for 7th and 8th grade. I don't think I remember much until I start reading other posts...so many great memories. My dad was CMS E-9 at Torrejon 1960-63.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 AM

11 posts, read 23,309 times
I was able to cross one sewer that he did not attempt and when I reached the playground at the elementary school and looked back he was returning to where he came from! I just brought that story up to my husband a couple of days ago exclaiming how different my life would be if I had been

Old 10-18-2011, 11:20 PM

7 posts, read 50,283 times
In my first grade class there was a girl next to me named Norma. Poor thing. She was always so nervous and scared. One day she cried and wet herself in class. The other kids made fun of her. I felt sorry for her. Anybody remember? My name is Norman.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 50,283 times
Other tidbits from childhood life in Spain: Our blonde "frisky" american housewife neighbor from across the street. Lol.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,118 times
You will be glad to know that many of the houses are preserved, some have been restored and belong to luxury estates closed to the traffic where are rented. Here's some links to see the houses

Encinar de los Reyes - Enalquiler.com

Viviendas en alquiler, El Encinar de los Reyes - El Encinar de los Reyes, Madrid - Grupo Inmobiliario Encinar

Also you can see the houses with the google street view in this link

royal oaks moraleja - Google Maps

And thi is a link with old and recent photos

Royal Oaks 60s

Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Made to clickable links.

Rich

Quote:
You will be glad to know that many of the houses are preserved, some have been restored and belong to luxury estates closed to the traffic where are rented. Here's some links to see the houses

Encinar de los Reyes - Enalquiler.com

Viviendas en alquiler, El Encinar de los Reyes - El Encinar de los Reyes, Madrid - Grupo Inmobiliario Encinar

Also you can see the houses with the google street view in this link

royal oaks moraleja - Google Maps

And this is a link with old and recent photos

Royal Oaks 60s

Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,277 times
Default Living at ROaks,Spain

I lived in ROaks from 1963-1966.My father was the chaplain at Torrejon. We lived at 50-C and I had Mr Vejar for 4th grade and Mr Flick for the 5th. I really have always wondered how to reach others who lived there and might remember me. I had a lot of good friends while we were in Madrid. I was studying to become a classical pianist and was a student of Vladimir Vuletin who then lived downtown Madrid...memories...memories...

Old 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 28,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhipp-retiree View Post
my dad was in the air force at torrejon air base at madrid,spain. we were, my whole family was the from 63 -66. it sure has shcnge alot since we left i was in 6-8 grades there. i sure miss it lot!
Jay - Please contact me. I was your friend - Evelyn, etc. Thanks, Wheeler Newman

Old 01-27-2012, 03:08 PM

11 posts, read 51,644 times
at Royal Oaks from 69-73 - can't remember the number, low road - lived next to twin girls Cheryl and Carol -- Carol was a tomboy - across the street from the Andersons - Mark/John/Susan/Kelly -- had a good friend, Jane -- she was really tall with long wavy blonde hair -- she was in ROTC, we used to "swap" Nancy Drew books -- went to Middle School on base - was there when they had the racial riots at the high school and the students took teachers hostage in the auditorium - and the base was on lock-down -- I remember CYO -- "running" back from the movies thru the woods full of those acorn trees to avoid the bats-- late night (till dark) kick ball in the field by the circle -- my first "french kiss" with a guy that had braces -- wow! memories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues