Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,552 times

Advertisements

We were at Royal Oaks 1959-1961. Went to Junior High on base in plush tour buses. Loved the home ec teacher and the geography teacher who made his own films. Ditto on the freedom, remember the hitchhiker lane you could get a ride to town at the front? Dances at the teen club, shopping at Gallarias, calamare sandwiches in the Puerta del Sol, Retiro. Talk about public transportation!!!! tram, bus and the metro to anywhere. What a dear period of my life, had severe culture shock upon return.
It was such a joy, the people were so wonderful we felt like diplomats! The spanish I learned comes in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,769 times
MY dad was also at Toj. AFB (SAC/DOD/16AF) from 1959-1964, MY heart is still in Spain, even after all these years'.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 7,721 times
My Dad was stationed at Torrejon from '68-69. We lived in 42C. I remember the shepherd on horseback watching his sheep, the guy with the donkeys selling big clay pots, us selling magazines outside the movie theater, movies for $.25 with your ID/dog tags. The best was playing with and bringing home stray dogs. We actually kept one (a Perdiguero de Burgos). We took lots of family drives around the beautiful countryside visiting castles & churches. Remember La Guardia?
My mom took us to a glass blowing factory in Madrid and to Colonel Miller's silver shop. We loved eating late, laughed at us kids being offered wine and milk with supper and making the evening stroll to people watch.

The first year we moved in some boys had caught the neighboring field on fire and there were grasshoppers EVERYWHERE! Another year (no fire) there were snails all over the outside walls of the buildings.

Viva España!!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 PM

122 posts, read 372,522 times
Default another site on yahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Bueno View Post
You will be glad to know that many of the houses are preserved, some have been restored and belong to luxury estates closed to the traffic where are rented. Here's some links to see the houses

Encinar de los Reyes - Enalquiler.com

Viviendas en alquiler, El Encinar de los Reyes - El Encinar de los Reyes, Madrid - Grupo Inmobiliario Encinar

Also you can see the houses with the google street view in this link

royal oaks moraleja - Google Maps

And thi is a link with old and recent photos

Royal Oaks 60s

royal_oakelementaryschool on Yahoo.com
Lots of correspondence, pics and stories to share

Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 PM

122 posts, read 372,522 times
Default good response

Its been awhile since my original post. Glad to see all the responses!! I too remember all the "happenings" in the Oaks. The Pie Man, named Dale(American) (white Citroen truck), the Candy Man blowing a horn and shouting his arrival, the Pottery guy with the burros and pots strapped to them, Vincent, the flamengo guitar teacher, Mr Cherrytree the painter of family photos, the Fruteria(we could see from our dining room window Unit 60A), buying a small pan *bread loaf", small jar of olives, slice of cheese and salami from the Fruteria and sitting on the fountain at the entrance to Moraleja watching the nice Euro sedans speeding into Moraleja. Nice lazy summers, the pool, playing kick the can, Corgi, Dinky, Matchbox and Hotwheels cars, building forts, all the paths throughout Royal Oaks, all the trips to the Nava Cerada, El Escorial, Benidorm, all of Europe, downtown Madrid(by myself and friends at 10 yrs old), knowing and speaking spanish like the locals (many were suprised to find out I was American). Then to come back to the States to total shock!! Life was not the same!! Non-the-less, life went on and the memory still lives brightly in my memory. I know, it would not be the same going back today but the memories of our time there will remain enchanting and firmly burned into my memory, never to be forgotten. THANKS DAD!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
Just saw utube video of Unit 119-C. So much has changed. Not anything like when we were there.
Of course, back in "our time" the Roaks was full of us kids that had trounced paths throughout Roaks. We had no sidewalks, only in front of the pool. The high road, low road, the Fruteria, Candy Man, the Pie Man (Dale), Pottery man, the painter (Mr Cherrytree), guitar teacher Vincent, Fanta drinks delivered to the house, Mom's hair dresser Segario, our maids who served up tapas for lunch. When we arrived in Madrid, we stayed at the Aitenna Hotel for about 3 months, then moved to the Oaks. Unit 60-A was our new home. Soon after, our new '68 VW bus arrived. Attended Royal Oaks Elementary. 3rd grade-Ms. Hartzog (she drove a '68 VW fastback, Spanish Sra Munoz, 4th grade Mr
Martinez (drove a '64 gold Rambler), 5th grade Mr Hanson, (played flag football, he drove a white '68 VW Karman Ghia). Got to see Frank Borman (astronaut) at Barajas. I was a bus patrol for the younger elementary school kids. 6th grade was at the base. Ms Aldrich, home room, both Mr and Mrs Cardinali. Mrs for english and Mr for Math. Coach Thacker for PE. Took shop, don't remember teacher's name. Starting becoming a blur in 7th grade. Dad transferred to Saudi Arabia, we/family moved from Roaks to Las Torres. Met the Liddingtons (lived upstairs from us) still played baseball for the Avengers, major league (little leage team) (Note: Steve Liddington died last year) Started "parting" with the high school "kids" from Las Torres. 12 years old and going to the bars by Las Torres, smoking, staying out all night. Last days in Madrid were in the Oaks with Mark and Scott Keller, Rick Sotomayor, Jeff Luna and some guy named Ron. All up closer to the front gate. Then back to Torrejon after my parents got back from Malorca to pick us up and back to the States. The time there seemed to be dragging by, while we were there, after we left, all I could do was beg my dad to get re-assigned back to Madrid.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,663 times
i lived at royal oaks from 72-75 attended kin-3rd grade..lived on the high road right across from a huge wheat field..69b had a blast remember lots...trick or treating...the light dusting of snow and going to church in the movie theater....what fun and we had a very attrative upstairs neighbor that liked to sunbathe nude and the tree cutters always managed to trim when she was out lol....jackiewill66... i too remember the pie man and the candy man at the time i did not know their names...and the swimming pool was like a luxury spa...massive especially for some the age of 6 took swimming lessons there...the school was like two blocks down further...before we returned to the states they had just finshed putting up a new playground entirely of wood i remember the massive timbers used i had my first crush mark reed...his brother's name was patrick...also best friends troy and shane luthee forgive the misspelling lol...and my other bestie maria...and the vasquezs debbie and her little brother who was a baby at the time and her mom who like to dress up for halloween one year she went as little red riding hood...with an actual red hood....

Old 06-01-2012, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,631 times
Dad was stationed at Torrejon from '72 thru '76. (2nd -5th grade). My teachers were Mrs Sather, Mrs. Powers and Mrs. Rojas. For the life of me I can't remember my 3rd grade teacher. Talk about mental block. I loved being a kid in Spain. So many great adventures. My friends that I remember most are: Caroline Fann/Brown and Carmen and Donna Ibanez, Kristen Rider, Kathy McInyrne. I remember how Mrs. Perdue and Ms. Powers flirted shamelessly with Mr. Richards and Mr. Thompson would crush you against the wall if he caught you in the hallways during recess. I would love to find some of the people from that year. I also remember having a HUGE crush on Charlie Kehoe and Ken Hack.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 7,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice View Post
My name is John Tice and I was there in 68 to 72. Played on the little league team (Rebels), and our football team won the champs. My best friends were Keith and Cedrick Nelson. I remember Mrs Perez, Mr Snyder, Mr Vayhar (sp) and his son Paul. I have a ton of fond memories of Spain and how different it is from the states.

Would love to k.i.t. with anyone who might remember me.
Hello John: I am Coach P, the coach of your Rebels team at Royal Oaks Little League. I remember you vividly. Do you remember me? Would love to hear from you. Have always hoped all my former players did well and are healthy and happy adults. Hope to hear from you soon.
Coach P/Lou Pagliuca

Old 06-17-2012, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 7,578 times
Default I was there

Hello My name is David McGinnis, I lived in Royal Oaks from 1966 thru 1968 attended Jr. High on Base. I will look up our apt number when I go to my parents home. Im looking for Wayne Blue, David Hott, Debbie Abercrombie, Sharon Mahurine. If anyone knows anything about them please send me an email to drdavid55@yahoo.com. or jog my memory you know its getting kinda old. Loved the time in Royal Oaks.

Last edited by onekidontheblock; 06-17-2012 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: Miss spelled name

Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 28,732 times
Does anyone have any contact info for the following?

Terri, Toni, Russell Broomfield
Sydney Ballback
Mark Lucas
Harry Kepler
Melissa, Eric, Mia Duval
Tony Turner
Leonard King
Abbey Gulik
Chuck Hansen
Poopsie and Pepe Zerda
Sheila Scalise (and brother)
Jay and Evelyn Hipp

The above lived in Royal Oaks during 66 - 69.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues