Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,371 times

Advertisements

My farther was stationed at Torrejon from 1962 to 1967. My family and lived in Royal Oaks. My brother David and my parents are all deceased so I have no family to share my experiences living in Royal Oaks but the memories are vivid. I was lucky enough to return to Royal Oaks in 1985 and was able to locate my old home but it was not easy. Lots of the homes were abandoned at that time. Fortunately my home was saved. I took lots of pictures but the camera got stolen at the airport going back to the states. In 2002 I returned with my elderly mother. She enjoyed Royal Oaks as much as anyone. She passed in 2006. The road to the elemetary school and movie theatre was barricade but we managed to drive around. Workers were demolishing the little commissary at that time. My wife and I are returning to Madrid next month. I hope something is left of Royal Oaks. I shall see.
Does anyone recall a little bar in Alcobendas called Frontons. My parents went there several times per week. My mother and I returned there during our 2002 visit. They remembered my mother after a thirty-five year absence. Wonderful people. Wonderful times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,414 times
Default Remembering Royal Oaks

Hello all,

Looks like this might be an old posting but wanted to tell everyone that my family lived in Royal Oaks from 1980-1983 or around there. I was very young at age 8-11. My last name is Huprich, my dad was a captain in the Air Force and worked at Torrejon AFB.

My sister and I have very fond memories of Royal oaks. First, we walked to school every day. It was about 2.5 miles to walk. Second the halloweens were awesome! 3rd was being part of the school exchange with the spanish school very close to the royal oaks community.

My most fond memory is that my family was new to the community and it was just after christmas (end of Dec). In order make my family feel at home, the neighbors told my parents that it was safe to keep shoes outside on our balcony every day (it was a very safe area). One week later we found presents in our shoes for "Three Kings Day". It was so cool!

I myself was able to explore the "desert" outside of royal oaks and found so many cool things in the desert. I really don't know what used to be out there since I did not know the history of that area, and I was too young to understand, but found cool ceramics, pottery, and metal artifacts all over the place.

The theatre at the royal oaks community area/next to the school as I remember, was very cool. It was one of the first places I remember going to the movies, and seeing movies like Star Wars, Tron, and other very old and cool movies for pennies (nothing like todays prices).

Thanks.

Last edited by ahuprich; 03-14-2013 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: dates

Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy714 View Post
We left Madrid in 1972 and living there is still burned in my brain.
Dad was station at Torrejon from 1968 thru 1972. Royal Oaks then Las Torres at Ave de Burgos 20 was home. Still miss it like crazy.

In 1975 flying from Camp Darby Italy to the USA for the summer, we stopped at Torrejon and when we landed, the front landing gear on our C-141 collapsed. talk about scary.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,193 times
My name was Alicia Mitchell, my father was station at Humosa, which was a Communications site about 60 miles from Torrejon. I went to Torrejon Middle School and THS, we were there from 76-79, the best years of my teenage years!! Lived in Alcala De Heneres. The apartment we lived in was over 200 years old and was beautiful! We spent most of our summers at Lake Sacedon, there was a large group of us that would go up and homestead our spot, then set up our little tent city, then the the next family would bring up the supplies and many trips were made to town to replenish the San Miquel. It was a well planned adventure. We always ended up in the same spot!! there was an old guy that would bring his herd of sheep down to the end of the lake every morning and our little dachsund would terrorize them, he would get so pissed, my dad would send me over to calm him down with american cigarettes and whatever other american items it took to calm him down. we invited him for an american BBQ and he was an expert with a Bota bag, taught me all I know...lol

Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 7,872 times
I lived there 1962-64. First year at Parque de Las Avenidas in Madrid, last 2 years at Royal Oaks. 6th grad at the Generalissiomo bldg, the 7th & 8th at ROAKS Jr High. Best times of my life.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,972 times
Dad was stationed at Torrejon from 67 to 70. My name is Fred Brown and have a twin brother Dave. Lived at 132C. Played a lot of baseball with the Mets, Vikings, and Gallos. Some of the names I remember.....Greg Germany, Grae O`Toole? The McKenna`s. Baseball coach was Maj. Toth? What a great time.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,918 times
We left Spain in 1969. I was at Torrejon High School and lived at the Aitana Hotel for about 3 months when we first arrived. I dropped dirt bombs off the 13th floor of the hotel until I got caught! i loved my time in Spain and think of it often.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,895 times
My Dad was in the USAF. I lived in Madrid for one year then we moved to Royal Oaks. We lived near the back way out of RO. Many would hitch hike a ride from an America from that intersection to go to the base. I did the same many times. We lived just up the hill from that intersection in a 2 story quad plex apartment. It was from 1962 to 1964. I attended Madrid High at Torrejon AFB. My younger sister and two brothers went to the elementary school in Royal Oaks... I also went to art school during this time at Belles artes de San Franando on Calle Alcala near plaza Major in Madrid everyday from 6pm to 9 pm everyday after going to MHS. I did this everyday even in the summer and graduated from BADS in 1964... THose yrs were some of my most memorable. ! After returning to the Conus I went to collage til I was drafted and the went to Vietnam. I was wounded at Bien Hoa . When I was in VN I ran into one of my class mates ( amazing chance) from MHS there in a NCO club in Saigon. I remember his name.. Johnny Bragg. He and I were on the track team together.. I have never seen any class mates since. I'm now 66 yrs old.. How time has flown. Best wishes to all.. ! gene stricklin

Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 30,284 times
Hey just found this site. I lived in Royal Oaks from 1969 - 1973. Went grade 4 through 7, I remember teachers Miss. Maleki in fifth, and Mrs. Frazier (it was sad when her husband passed) Mr. Richmond, and Mrs. Cardineli. I think of all of them often. Royal Oaks was the best days of childhood. We lived in the back by the hitching post. I often think of the things we did there and think there is no way we could have gotten away with some of that stuff state side. I hope I can meet some old friends on here and maybe just see how life has been. Who ever started this thanks it'll be nice to stroll memory lane.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:38 PM

9 posts, read 30,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAF007 View Post
Hello,

I lived at Royal Oaks from 1968-1971, roughly the same time frame. My Dad was in the Air Force stationed at Torrejon, as well. I was looking up Royal Oaks on Google Maps and noticed it appeared to be under construction. So I did so more net surfing and found it was being redeveloped as an upscaled La Moreleja.

I wonder if we knew each other? I was there when I was 12-15, 6th-8th grade. I have a lot of fond memories of the place. I was also a Boy Scout in Troop 218.
I was there at that time 69- 73, 10 -14 years old. You may have known my brother and sister. I too have very fond memories of the days of Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues