Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

I have a pretty wimpy co-worker who's going to be leaving our company soon. I'll be glad when he's gone cause he hardly works at all. To keep the peace, I have never brought up something about him that really bothers me but now that he's leaving I'm thinking about going ahead and telling him what I should have said since the day I first saw his Jeep Wrangler. Don't know who he bought this Jeep from, but whoever he bought it from was a Marine. The spare tire has a leather US Marines cover with the Marines symbol. Across the front windshield is the words Simper Fi. This guy never served in any branch of the military. Should I speak my piece or just let the looser walk away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 05:52 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Let him walk.

I'd be very proud to see cars display the USMC stickers even though they never served....shows support.

But, that's just my 2 cents.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:59 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I may be wrong, but I thought the phrase--" Semper Fi"-- is only used from one Marine to another.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:53 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Not for me or my family (generations of Marines). It can be used by anyone but Marines are the only ones I know of that use it...or those families of Marines.

But I'm sure you can find some Marines who feel differently, as in, they are the only ones allowed to use it.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:16 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
He needs to get rid of it. I am not sure why he'd keep something like that.

I am not a Marine, I was in the Army but my husband served in the Corps and I know most Marines don't take that kind of stuff very well.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
You could always leave a little message if you feel strongly about. Maybe include a razor blade and tell him It won't scratch his windshield while taking off the sticker.

Maybe he has a relative that served/serves.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Perhaps he's too lazy to take it off combined with him enjoying a little bit of attention when pumping gas. Perhpas he thinks it'll decrease his odds of getting traffic tickets. Perhaps he's related to someone. He knows it's there, I can't imagine suggesting him to remove it would result in him removing it.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:56 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
[rant]this touches on a current fad that i find annoying; i go to college, and all day, every day, i see guys wearing military gear just because it looks cool.

it's not a big deal usually, but i realize that the reason that some of these guys wear usmc tee shirts and tactical backpacks is because they think it makes them look tough. occasionally i will meet one that has actually, is currently, or is planning on serving in the marine corps or another branch, but most of the time they are just posing. in fact, sometimes when i ask if they are in the service, they look offended or surprised that someone would ask, like it is a dumb question or something.

i am tired of posers; i'm tired of meeting people that brag about how much "action" they saw in iraq or afghanistan, only to find out that they washed out of boot camp or even the DEP, for crying out loud.

i'm tired of the idiotic mindset behind the military apparel trend, that it makes you tough or sexy or something. it reeks of a shallow, ignorant, unappreciative understanding of the military.[/rant]

other than that, i don't see any problem with this. it is entirely possible, and even likely, that he has perfectly reasonable motives for the usmc paraphernalia. it still couldn't hurt to ask though.

aaron out.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:37 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I would say leave it alone. This is a free country after all and purchase of those decorative items is not limited to service members and their families. People are free to be jackasses.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I would say leave it alone. This is a free country after all and purchase of those decorative items is not limited to service members and their families. People are free to be jackasses.
What pisses me off is people who like to talk about how they were in the Military and were deployed and yadda yadda.

I had a customer yesterday brag about how he served in the Army. When I asked him what his MOS was, he looked confused and asked me "What's MOS?" I laughed inside. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues