Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you mean college or HS ROTC?
High school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,329,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhad View Post
High school
Are you sure? If you're 'applying for a scholarship', don't you mean you're going to be applying for a scholarship to attend college in one of the college ROTC programs?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:58 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,001,020 times
Depends on your interests.

The Navy has a lot of interesting jobs, but they also have some horrible jobs for junior Officers.

I was stationed on an air force base for four months and they live the good life compared to the Navy. The Navy has a way of making things suck for no reason at all.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,161,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
... I was stationed on an air force base for four months and they live the good life compared to the Navy. The Navy has a way of making things suck for no reason at all.
LOL

I have also been stationed on an Air Force base as a Navy sailor. I have even been on a Navy base where we hosted an Air Force command. So I have seen Airmen and Sailors on an Air Force base, and I have seen Airmen and Sailors on a Navy base.

The Air Force shows a lot more respect for their people, then the Navy does.

As an E5 in the Navy I was able to purchase residential rental property where I had Air Force tenants. The difference in take-home pay was an eye-opener for me.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:42 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,629,582 times
The Navy has a thing called Duty, which means often doing work other than your regular job for several hours at night and/or weekends. I was telling an Air Force guy how much I hated Duty, and he said "What's Duty?" I liked the Navy but there were times I wished I had enlisted in the Air Force.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
What is your dad's reasoning for pushing AF over Navy? Does he have background with either?

Old 01-26-2015, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What is your dad's reasoning for pushing AF over Navy? Does he have background with either?
He was talking to a co-worker in the hospital who was in the Navy and he was saying how he wished he had enlisted into the Air Force instead. He also said that the Air Force has a better quality of life and a lot easier on people compared to the Navy.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:05 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,035,907 times
Apples to oranges between enlisting and joining college air force rotc. Are you set on serving only as an officer? ,do you want to fly? What degree will you be pursuing? Are you interesting in seeing the world or getting great training for a potential job on the outside? Computer/cyber skills?

Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 7,403 times
Question Air Force? Navy? Help?

Hello,

So recently I've been looking at both the Air Force and the Navy as potential branches to join. I'm interested in the Navy Nuke program, as it has good schooling, advancement, and payment opportunities. I've also done some research on Air Force jobs, and a lot of people recommend Loadmaster, as they travel a lot and receive a bunch of the extra pays. I'm just not sure what I want to do yet, and as such I'm pretty open to most jobs, except combat-oriented jobs, which I refuse to even consider. I have no problems being shipped out if the time comes, but I'm not going to voluntarily sign up for it.

I've heard the Air Force has an all-around better quality of life, and would be my first choice. The Navy Nuke program is really the only thing I'm considering in the Navy.

On a full-length practice ASVAB that an Air Force recruiter sent me I got as follows:

Overall: 96
Mechanical: 96
Administrative: 96
General: 96
Electrical: 93

I'm a soon-to-be 18 year old male if that changes anything.

I was also wondering about becoming an officer, and what the requirements on that are. I live in a relatively small place so there isn't an officer recruiter here that I can talk to about the stuff.

Thanks for any feedback, I appreciate it!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:24 PM

30,566 posts, read 18,069,396 times
I can't recommend Navy v. Air Force (though I'm sure others will chime in), but you're going to need a 4 year degree to become a commissioned officer. Are you going to college? Your practice ASVAB scores are impressive and point to sound intelligence on your part. If you go the college route, look into joining ROTC, which is one of several commissioning programs for officers in the Armed Forces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues