Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,070 times

Advertisements

For the fun and travel factor I would choose the Navy. Since you're young and don't have any kids and are not married I think the Air Force would be boring to be honest. I've been stationed on an AF base overseas so I know what I'm talking about.

As for switching services, it would be very difficult to transfer to the Navy to the Air Force, I've known only one person that was successful and he was doing that transition through a special program.

So, if you plan on making it a career or want to get graduate school out of the way while you're in the military, then the Air Force is the best place to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
I will say this, I didnt get any real travel while in the Navy. I was land based my enlistment, and went from basic in Orlando, to A-School in Pensacola, and got stationed at Pensacola NAS for the rest of my enlistment. What rate you choose can have a large factor on how much travel you get, and if you are ship based or land based.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I will say this, I didnt get any real travel while in the Navy. I was land based my enlistment, and went from basic in Orlando, to A-School in Pensacola, and got stationed at Pensacola NAS for the rest of my enlistment. What rate you choose can have a large factor on how much travel you get, and if you are ship based or land based.
They used to say that if you were land based your entire enlistment, then you weren't in the Navy.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
They used to say that if you were land based your entire enlistment, then you weren't in the Navy.
yeah well, they used to say that when it came to submariners 50 men went down and 25 couples came up...

I didnt believe that one either... well not fully....

Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
yeah well, they used to say that when it came to submariners 50 men went down and 25 couples came up...

LOL, good one!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:47 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
For the fun and travel factor I would choose the Navy.
I can't imagine why, frankly, unless you consider staring at gray steel walls and sleeping in a walk-in closet (that's not much of an exaggeration) "fun." You can travel plenty in the AF and for me at least, having far superior living conditions and generally being treated much better far, far outweighs anything else.

Go AF and it's not even close. Get over that daydream about the open seas and hitting all these exotic ports as if you were some intrepid Howard Hughes. Oh yeah, you would likely travel more and would go to some interesting places, but it would be a small fraction of your time and there's a strong chance that most of the rest of the time you would be less happy - perhaps much more so - out at sea for such long periods of time....again and again...and this isn't a cruise ship we're talking about. Being an officer would help a lot, but still......

Good luck

Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 AM

5 posts, read 105,370 times
Quote:
Did you request to not travel?

Well, I am planning to be a pharmacist, and hoping to be one in the military. I believe you start as an officer? I am not sure how that affects ratings.

Quote:
As for switching services, it would be very difficult to transfer to the Navy to the Air Force, I've known only one person that was successful and he was doing that transition through a special program.
Can you explain this further? Why would you say it is difficult? Is it because the Navy doesn't want to let you go, or is it difficult to transfer into the Air Force?

Thanks for your opinions, everyone~!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:38 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:

The boats that I served on generally had 135 crewmen [not 50]

Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyizzy View Post
And ... well, if all else fails, what about switching from one branch to another? When you are at x rank in say, the Navy and you want to switch to the Air Force, do you stay at x rank, do you move down a few ranks, or do you start at the bottom when you move? How hard is it to switch?
It is possible to switch services. For Enlisted it is generally easier. For Officers it is much more difficult. But I would not try to plan a career based on those possibilities.

I have two good friends who served in the Navy and retired from the Army. Also Air Force who switched to the Army. And Army who switched to Air Force. I have a close friend who served USMC, AF, Army. And I had a Commander who served USMC and switch to Army. Different times and different situations.

But like I said, I would not try to plan a career based on those possibilities. "active duty enlisted members can apply for an early discharge if they are accepted into the Officer Candidate School/Officer Training School of another service" U.S. Military FAQ -- How do I transfer from one branch of the U.S. Military to another? Read the whole page.

You have a BS degree? The Army offers four ways to become an Officer. You might consider the Direct Commission method.

Air Force appears to have some good programs for medical personnel.

There are a lot of possibilities and no one knows and understands what all the current possibilities are like and how they will turn in the future. No one can predict what path you will take.

There is a lot of information at this site which will provide you with a lot of resources to consider: Joining the United States Military and Books About Becoming a Military Officers

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-25-2009 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-25-2009, 08:55 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyizzy View Post
Did you request to not travel?

Well, I am planning to be a pharmacist, and hoping to be one in the military. I believe you start as an officer? I am not sure how that affects ratings.

Can you explain this further? Why would you say it is difficult? Is it because the Navy doesn't want to let you go, or is it difficult to transfer into the Air Force?

Thanks for your opinions, everyone~!
1. I believe most of us posting here were enlisted and not officers so our experiences and yours will be totally different; especially you working in the medical field.

2. In order to change services you would have to start out all over again. You would lose your rank and require retraining to that services standards. This is just the way it is and rarely done as an officer; enough said.

3. Contact the ROTC people (all services) at the school you will be attending and get real answers for your situation, not speculation from all of us. With you already having a 4 year degree you would probably start out in the advanced class at ROTC (3rd of 4 years). Also I am betting they will pay for your education which ain't nothing to sneeze at. Of course you have a mandatory commitment once commissioned (6-8 years).

4. Everyone here has recommended the Air Force and that is what I would plan unless another service offered you a better deal. Each service has their own needs and recruiting goals.

5. You could elect to graduate ROTC and then go into the reserves or Air Guard in your medical field (if there was medical units in your area). You would still undergo deployments and see some of the world without biting off a 6-8 year active duty (fulltime) commitment. It is easier to go from a paticular services reserves to active duty status.

6. Do NOT let your interest in the military derail you goal to continue your education and career field; that is #1.

7. See #3

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues