Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,016,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Well, I know I'm different since I go out of the Army (ETS in 2001). I served 6 years (1995-2001). My temper is a problem these days (well, in the last 8 years), that's for sure. Just can't quite get used to this civilian life, you know (nobody comes in on time but you). That sucks and makes me mad sometimes. But I'm controlling it a lot better, in the last 4 months now, and have been sober since too. It's tough out here when your life was on a schedule and was structured everyday (for 6 years too).

I'm used to discipline, schedules, planning, and structure. You don't have any of that in the civilian world. People seem to run or walk around like a chicken with its head cut off out here. And sooner or later, I was becoming like that and nobody else liked it.

So my temper sometimes flies off the handle, in certain situations (like when someone is late, schedules change too often, and being spontaneous). I definitely can't be spontaneous much, because it was a reason why I started drinking when I became a civilian. "Hey let's go to a bar", used to be a favorite of mine (when I wanted to be too spontaneous).

I can't do that anymore, my day has to be planned and structured, for me. So, I stick to daily routines (I change a little bit, but not much everyday). It works out better and keeps me sober too.

Do you think I might have some of it?
I would take the online screening quiz on the first post and see what your score is. If needed I would seek help from nearest VA Hospital or Clinic in your area. The VA offers help with treatment and even monthly disability payments for those found to be service connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:28 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,565,641 times
First off, I would like to thank all vets for their sacrifice in serving in our military. I would like to make one comment about going to the VA for a PTSD diagnosis.

Are you aware that if you go to the VA and get evaluated for PTSD, your diagnosis will go into a govt. computer and possibly will adversely affect you. For instance, if you are diagnosed with PTSD at the VA and later want to purchase a firearm, you could very possibly be turned down due to the PTSD disgnosis. It has happened to many vets who comment on gun forums.

This will not happen if you go to a private-sector physicarist.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
First off, I would like to thank all vets for their sacrifice in serving in our military. I would like to make one comment about going to the VA for a PTSD diagnosis.

Are you aware that if you go to the VA and get evaluated for PTSD, your diagnosis will go into a govt. computer and possibly will adversely affect you. For instance, if you are diagnosed with PTSD at the VA and later want to purchase a firearm, you could very possibly be turned down due to the PTSD disgnosis. It has happened to many vets who comment on gun forums.

I don't know about this but I do know the VA offers healthcare to Vets with PTSD and disability payments can be as high as $3K+ a month.

The main thing of course is to get help if needed no matter where that might be; hiding one's problem or ignoring it only makes things worse.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,530,074 times
And if you go to a private-sector psychiatrist and do not disclose it, if required you might be involved in making a false material statement to a federal firearms licensee in connection with the purchase of a firearm...

The topic is "Are You Suffering From PTSD???", not how to evade laws in the purchase of firearms.

Rich

Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM

37,245 posts, read 60,976,905 times
At my VFW post our 'Services Officer' has been pushing for everyone to be screened for PTSD. It seems that when you go through the screening process, all combat vets have it to some level. [or very nearly all of us].

I am a retiree, so I am not aware of any 'benefit' to claiming that I have PTSD.

Last edited by Submariner; 12-17-2009 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Ooops, sorry Mods we cross posted.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
And if you go to a private-sector psychiatrist and do not disclose it, if required you might be involved in making a false material statement to a federal firearms licensee in connection with the purchase of a firearm...

The topic is "Are You Suffering From PTSD???", not how to evade laws in the purchase of firearms.

Rich
Thanks Poncho for bringing us back on topic; hopefully we can stay there.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,565,641 times
First off, I'm just saying that your life might be affected by a diagnosis of PTSD. I'm not suggesting that you ignore the PTSD if you suffer from it. And secondly, I am not advocating that you lie on a federal form. I don't believe there is a box that asks if you are suffering from PTSD, although the 4473 form does ask if you have been institutionalized for mental illness. I did not want to suggest that you evade the laws.

Sorry for butting in. Just remember, everything that goes into a computer owned by the government stays there forever. Be care what you wish for. Is that possible disability payment worth the expense of some of your future activities.

Sorry Ponch, but the 4473 form does not require you to disclose you are seeing a private shrink.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Please let's stay on target.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
At my VFW post our 'Services Officer' has been pushing for everyone to be screened for PTSD. It seems that when you go through the screening process, all combat vets have it to some level. [or very nearly all of us].

I am a retiree, so I am not aware of any 'benefit' to claiming that I have PTSD.
As a retiree you are still eligible to receive VA disabilty compensation in addition to your retirement pay. Additionally you would be eligible for free medical care without paying any Tricare deductables, also not having any caps on mental health care.

I am a retiree also and seek healthcare from both the VA and Tricare depending on what suits me best.

I of course am not saying anyone should claim a condition they do not have. Only that those that need help and have earned it should get that help.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:52 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,455,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post

Not so. I've been drawing 100% VA disability for PTSD for the past 6 years and have never been refused the right to purchase a firearm.

Yes, your diagnosis is in the VA computer system, but not just anyone can access that data, any more than what's in your private physician's computer.

Frankly, I'd hate to think that someone who really needs help would avoid getting it for the reasons you stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues