Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2019, 10:34 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times

Advertisements

I've never experienced the military nor have any of my family or friends.

I've always like reading Junger's work, but I have not seen anecdotal evidence for myself.

Do any of you (either yourself or relatives) see truth in the statement that PTSD comes not from violent combat, but isolation at home?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9DNWK6WfQw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:47 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
I think he makes a valid point about what may be a contributing factor to the increase in PTSD applications. The way a society reacts to and cares for its military is surely something that affects how the returning soldier feels after his deployment. The "total" war of WW2 meant almost everyone in our society was involved directly in it or had a close relative who was in combat. starting with Korea and all the way through today, not so much. Just look at the references attached to each one...……..WW2 we fought for "saving the world"

Now Korea...….."the forgotton war",or the "police action"...…...Vietnam...…."the war we lost" also the denigration of the soldiers themselves...……" baby killers"...………...Afghanistan and Iraq...……"the wars for oil"

Is it really that hard to see why there is an increase in veterans being disillusioned, resentful, and just plain angry at how they are treated and looked upon? hench the increase in PTSD claims...…….

Old 06-17-2019, 08:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

I've always like reading Junger's work, but I have not seen anecdotal evidence for myself.

Do any of you (either yourself or relatives) see truth in the statement that PTSD comes not from violent combat, but isolation at home?

I am retired Army, 1968 to 1990. I saw a few soldiers with a variety of problems. I can not comment on the PTSD issue. It seems to happen in all societies. "Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that's triggered by a terrifying event — either experiencing it or witnessing it. Symptoms may include flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event." https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355967

I had a few periods of "nightmares and severe anxiety" over my lifetime. Not really military related, just short periods...

I like Sebastian Junger's work.

His interesting webpage is at: Sebastian Junger

Old 06-20-2019, 09:39 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

According to Junger, the rates of long-term, chronic PTSD seem to be determined not so much by what happened in the war, but by whether soldiers feel alienated once they return home and whether their community shares what he calls an "intuitive understanding of the conflict."

That "shared public meaning," Junger argues, is something Native American tribal fighters often had in centuries past. "If you come back to a cohesive, tightly-knit society — to a communal existence with other people — it really mitigates the effects of trauma," Junger argues.

I can see truth in those statements, but I think a lack of solid support system is just one risk factor, there are other risk factors like a pre-existing emotional or mental health disorder, eating disorder, or drug/alcohol abuse.

I like his work, and mostly I agree with what he has to say. I am a volunteer to help vets struggling with PTSD and the longer I am with this program, the more I realized that this disorder (for lack of a better word) is very complicated and it goes way beyond just the battlefield.

My director used, "Everything helps a little, but nothing helps a lot, it is a long journey." to describe complex PTSD.

I have a friend who committed suicide several years ago, he has seen combat many many times. He committed suicide after he lost custody of his child. So he really did not have a good solid support system coming home. However, even though many people blamed his ex wife, I know there is a difference between "trigger" and "cause". Blaming one single person is not the answer. My friend was abused as a child, after coming home from combat, he abused drug and alcohol, that is one of the reasons why he lost custody. He never bothered to seek any types of help. I will always remember him as the handsome, giving, generous, brave, courageous person as he was, but I know he sometimes only showed one side of himself, he kept a lot of pain to himself.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-20-2019 at 09:54 AM..

Old 06-22-2019, 04:24 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,094,342 times
I spent a few years in the army/army national guard. I joined the army following the Vietnam war signing in February 1976 and left active duty in 1984. I joined the army national guard in 1986 and remained with the national guard until I retired March 2016. My total years exceeded 37 years.

Having that length of time under my belt has allowed me to know quite a few soldiers who had PTSD issues that have either been resolved or the soldier has taken their own life. In my work place for the national guard I remember at least 5 soldiers who took their life in the vault where we kept our weapons and ammo. Each of them were full time soldiers as well and not your normal weekenders. I had one soldier who had an asterisk next to his name that he needed to be watched. When I heard he was possibly considering taking his life, my commander and I (I was the 1SG of the unit) called local police for a health and welfare check on him. We found him passed out in a locked room.

I mention this because we are well aware of the problems that we have. We have soldiers who by virtue of their training are programmed to keep a lot of **** inside. We have soldiers who are not always willing to talk about what is bothering them. Finding them is a responsibility of every soldier now. We put soldiers through classes to help recognize symptoms and drum that into our leadership.

Soldiers are nothing more than civilians that have been indoctrinated into service. PTSD can be the result of anything and suicide triggers are not necessarily pasted on anyone's forehead. So we all have to be aware and if we see something speak up.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:30 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
I think one of his best works is perhaps "why would veterans miss war."

Troops serving overseas don't necessarily enjoy being shot at, Junger explains, but they do enjoy the incredible bonds that can only come from those terrifying moments. Relating to the audience a conversation he had with one soldier when asked if he missed anything about the war, the soldier said "I miss almost all of it."

"He's not a psychopath," Junger said. "He doesn't miss killing people. He's not crazy. He doesn't miss getting shot at and seeing his friends get killed. What is it that he misses? I think what he missed is brotherhood. He missed, in some ways, the opposite of killing. What he missed was connection to the other men he was with."

I've never understood this until I read and watched his work. I think it explains it very well.

I have four very good friends whom I've known for perhaps 15 something years, I knew them when I was a pre-teen. They joined the service, saw the combat, came back and told me, "I don't mind going back actually I want to go back." I won't lie, for a short period of time, I thought war has turned my beloved friends into psychopath or They might suffer from PTSD. But being in PTSD volunteering program for almost six years make me realize that they miss the opposite of killing, what they truly miss is the bond, brotherhood, that can only be experienced in war.

Very interesting perspective and also, very true.

I think civilians and the whole society should work hard to create a non-judgmental environment for these people.

When I told an elderly lady in my volunteer group that my sweetheart and I were engaged to be married, she told me that the best advice she could give me is to never ask him to "leave the military life behind because he never will" Just be understanding and be supportive. I never have to compete with his military life, military life made him the man he is today, and that is exactly the man I am in love with. I think that is perhaps one of the best advice I have ever received.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-23-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues