Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:58 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,457,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
May your dad rest in peace. No doubt, like many blacks in the military during that time, he caught hell. I hope he lived a happy and fulfilling life, and that his demise was not the result of the detrimental effects that the stress of racism can have on black men as they age.
Thanks Lex. My dad did what he had to do in order to raise twelve children. He was in the Navy and he also worked in segregated hotels at night to supplement his income. He lived for 36 more years after retiring from the military and traveled extensively so, he did get to enjoy his remaining years.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:35 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,509,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
This statement is true, but I want to clarify something on this for thsoe unfamiliar with how the officer side works. Many people see that there are diversity goals and assume that means a minority and female officers get selected over white male counterparts. Unlike diversity quotas in colleges and affirmative action in businesses standards aren't lowered to meet these quotas. There is just less competition among other minority groups because less minorities meet the standard and desire the positions. The majority of allocations for commissions belong to white males, but so does the majority of applications. Lets say there are 10 spots, 6 for white male, 1 for black, 1 for latino, 1 for asian, and one for a female. There will be 100 qualified applications for those 6 spots, and 10 applications for the rest. This does create a situation for white males where the standard is artificially inflated due to higher competition, but the base standard still has to be met by everybody.
Not sure how it works in the other services, but the USAF strips all personally identifiable info for all personnel boards. This includes name, race, age, and gender. Then each record is assigned a tracking label. This ensures the board only judges candidates on their merits and nothing else.

In my career I did have one situation that involved overt racism. We had a young SSgt who started supervising some Airmen. During some high tempo ops he got stressed out and fustrated; he dropped an N-bomb on one of his troops. Now the SSgt was a decent troop, no previous issues, good performer; and he apologized profusely for his error. It didn't matter, by the end of the week the commander had him reassigned to "admin" duties which basically involved sitting outsite the Chief's office and doing *nothing*. His security clearance was up for renewal; that was turned off. Without his clearance, he could not perform his job and he was not allowed to transfer to another career. He was forced out of the USAF.

Harsh, but necessary. Anything less would have shown a tacit acceptance of unacceptable behavior, which could easily destroy a unit from within.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:22 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Not sure how it works in the other services, but the USAF strips all personally identifiable info for all personnel boards. This includes name, race, age, and gender. Then each record is assigned a tracking label. This ensures the board only judges candidates on their merits and nothing else.

In my career I did have one situation that involved overt racism. We had a young SSgt who started supervising some Airmen. During some high tempo ops he got stressed out and fustrated; he dropped an N-bomb on one of his troops. Now the SSgt was a decent troop, no previous issues, good performer; and he apologized profusely for his error. It didn't matter, by the end of the week the commander had him reassigned to "admin" duties which basically involved sitting outsite the Chief's office and doing *nothing*. His security clearance was up for renewal; that was turned off. Without his clearance, he could not perform his job and he was not allowed to transfer to another career. He was forced out of the USAF.

Harsh, but necessary. Anything less would have shown a tacit acceptance of unacceptable behavior, which could easily destroy a unit from within.
USMC has (or at least used to have) meritorious boards where you personally appear in front of a panel to get promoted before you were technicially eligible. Not saying the board members factored in race at all but they at least knew every applicant's race.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,574 times
I've been a military wife for 31yrs. and have personally never encountered any racism on base or within any of our commands, etc.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,603,988 times
My Husband is now retired AF he is black I am white English
We were stationed in California George AFB we were unfortunate enough to have ignorant neighbours in base housing
Who made our lives as well as other neighbours lives hell.
So much so that we reported them and moved house.
So it does exist and always will just needs to be nipped in the bud

Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Of course the military is racist.....(I'm talking about the Army)

1st, in the promotion area (Senior promotion), why do you need to know what race I am, and then provide a picture?

2nd, Go to the on post bar on Camp Humphrey's Korea, after the ville closes, as a person who has been there ON DUTY, the place is scary....people running around throwing gang signs....

Sorry, but the military is a very racist place....color does not matter...if you are not liked...you're not going very far....

Old 10-10-2011, 02:09 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Of course the military is racist.....(I'm talking about the Army)

1st, in the promotion area (Senior promotion), why do you need to know what race I am, and then provide a picture?

2nd, Go to the on post bar on Camp Humphrey's Korea, after the ville closes, as a person who has been there ON DUTY, the place is scary....people running around throwing gang signs....

Sorry, but the military is a very racist place....color does not matter...if you are not liked...you're not going very far....
I don't see where either thing you cited shows racism.
The Photo shows that on one occaision you had a proper uniform, something that has even trapped senior officers wearing unauthorized medals.
The fact that a club on a base is frightening to you seems to be your problem. Perhaps try the library

Old 10-10-2011, 02:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Like I said, in a good unit the members first loyalty is to the unit because that is where they get their support. Lacking this ethnocentricity may be their support

Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,213 times
The Army is very racist; whites need not apply for promotion.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I don't see where either thing you cited shows racism.
You know just as well as I do, there is a quota for selecting Blacks, Hispanics, and "Other than white" for promotion.....that's not racism?

Quote:
The Photo shows that on one occaision you had a proper uniform, something that has even trapped senior officers wearing unauthorized medals.
Everyone makes mistakes, but what does a picture show? Your race....

Oh, and if your photo is older than 9 months old, they deduct points from your overall score....(before you complain, I have talked to several senior board members about things like this, off the record they will agree....)

Quote:
The fact that a club on a base is frightening to you seems to be your problem. Perhaps try the library
You musta missed the part where I said ON DUTY (in uniform), we HAD to go there, we had radios that went straight to the MP's, just "in-case" something happened......that "just in-case" was more than 2-3 times a month...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.