Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:39 AM

18 posts, read 50,635 times

Advertisements

First of all forgive me if this is a very stupid question. I am non-white and considering joining the military and I am very eager and excited about it. (I received my NROTC scholarship).

No matter what I will join and don't worry I have a tough skin. I don't mind name-calling and things like that.

My question is simply: did you ever witness or experience racism in the Military and if yes how was it addressed or dealt with?

Since racism can have various forms or definiton depending on the person or the situation you can give me any type of example that you can think of.

Oh and don't worry I am just asking out of curiosity that is all.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:42 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
On the ship, what I saw was groups of people hanging out with people of the same race or culture. Latinos hung out with latinos. Philipinos hung out with philipinos. Blacks hung out with blacks.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:54 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Keep in mind that the ship I'm speaking of had 2,000 Marines and 1,000 sailors. When I went to a smaller ship, we were aligned more along divisions than race compared to my previous ship.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:32 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
From a non-Naval perspective...

As previously indicated, what you will find most commonly is ethnicity based clique-ishness. You aren't going to encounter some old-style pre-desegregation South situation. It's more like a stratified and juvenile High School setting (remember the organization has a high concentration of guys in the 18-25 age bracket) where groups don't hang out with each other because it would be uncool, and because their customs, values, music, and behavioral norms are different.

Alternately, what might appear at first glance as ethnic division in many instances is class division. If you are from a solidly middle-class background, and the fellow members of your ethnic group are mostly lower class, you may find that you are truly an odd man out.

However, if you are an officer, the smaller numbers may make the inter-social dynamics entirely different.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
As previously indicated, what you will find most commonly is ethnicity based clique-ishness. You aren't going to encounter some old-style pre-desegregation South situation. It's more like a stratified and juvenile High School setting (remember the organization has a high concentration of guys in the 18-25 age bracket) where groups don't hang out with each other because it would be uncool, and because their customs, values, music, and behavioral norms are different.

Alternately, what might appear at first glance as ethnic division in many instances is class division. If you are from a solidly middle-class background, and the fellow members of your ethnic group are mostly lower class, you may find that you are truly an odd man out.
This is so disappointing to hear!

Old 12-26-2009, 07:46 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
On the ship, what I saw was groups of people hanging out with people of the same race or culture. Latinos hung out with latinos. Philipinos hung out with philipinos. Blacks hung out with blacks.

I don't know if thats the norm or not. I'm sure everyone has different stories. For a long while I was the token whitey in a pretty tight group of brothers. Of course that was back in the Miami Vice days. It was funny to see people look at big ole Chevy Blazer pull up at a club and 5 black guys get out and 1 white guy. Sometimes I would be the only white guy in the club too!. I never had a problem not 1! I took some crap from a few other white saliors but a trip to the gear locker put a stop to that! I always figured that someday that (insert race here) guy may pull my butt out some trouble so it's best to befriend evryone......I did notice that the Philopino saliors always used to have a little rice and fishheads club going usally lead by a First Class..... Just had to make buddies with the right guy and you never ran out of lumpia or pancit!!!! UUUUUUMMMMMMM GOOD!!

Old 12-26-2009, 08:27 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
My roommate in Korea was black and once told me I would not be welcome at a cookout he planned because I was white. Was that racism? we got along great otherwse. But he would not talk to me around his black friends.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Definitions - Racism:
1. A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. A policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:50 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
The military has less racial problems than the the rest of the U.S. and for sure does not tolerate it. But keeping in mind soldiers and sailors come from the general public and bring the good and bad with them.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:16 AM

541 posts, read 2,138,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
The military has less racial problems than the the rest of the U.S. and for sure does not tolerate it. But keeping in mind soldiers and sailors come from the general public and bring the good and bad with them.
I completely agree. Neither my son (biracial Marine) nor my husband (black Soldier) have had any problems in the military with racism. They both have friends and coworkers of many races... Racism is definitely NOT tolerated in the military...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues