Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,769 times

Advertisements

Obviously I need to go talk to a recruiter, but I wanted some first-hand opinions from others before I took that step.

I've been considering for quite some time now. Am I too old? Is it more difficult the older you are? Am I limited to certain branches or certain fields of work due to my age?

What are some of the first steps one needs to take, and what are some of the options out there?

Any and all input much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 01:37 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,704,046 times
According to about dot com.

Active Duty None-Prior Service
  • Army - 42 (must ship to basic training prior to 42nd birthday)
  • Air Force - 27
  • Navy - 34
  • Marines - 28
  • Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).
Reserve Non-Prior Service
  • Army Reserves - 42 (must ship to basic training prior to 42nd birthday)
  • Army National Guard - 35 (changed from 42 in 2009)
  • Air Force Reserve - 34
  • Air National Guard - 40 (Changed from 34 in Aug 2009)
  • Naval Reserves - 39
  • Marine Corps Reserve - 29
  • Coast Guard Reserves - Age 39
There are also age waivers; no idea if there's string attached to them such has taking low-manned jobs...Nor do I know the odds of getting them approved. I recommend starting with the Guard to see if there's anything full time available.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 PM

541 posts, read 2,139,091 times
My husband went in at 28. These days there are lots of older people joining.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,036,145 times
One of the biggest problems encountered by older enlistees is their physical fitness level. If you are an athletic person and aren't carrying extra weight you will do ok, otherwise you'll need to seriously work on it.

Contact the various recruiters for the different services and find out what's available. You can take the ASVAB test for one and it will be good for all.

PS: Get a ASVAB study guide from the library and bone up before you test.

Good luck

Old 01-10-2010, 11:45 AM

37,476 posts, read 61,432,180 times
One of my best friends in the Navy went in at 34 [months before the 35 cut-off], he enjoyed it and he stayed in for 20 years.

Keep in mind that the PRT requirements are easier as you get older. 18 year olds do more situps, more pushups, and must run faster; then old farts do.

I retired when I was 38. By that age to successfully complete the 1.5 mile run I could honestly do a fast walk and clear the requirements with a minute to spare.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:51 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,704,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Keep in mind that the PRT requirements are easier as you get older.
As I always say, everything in the military is subject to change. Air Force announced it revamped PRT/PT testing and eliminated aged tiers...But, after a ton of people failed, they announced they're "reviewing" the new test and MAY make changes...Point being the Navy or any other branch could change

Old 01-10-2010, 12:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Keep in mind that the PRT requirements are easier as you get older.
I would rephrase it to say the Physical Readiness Test requirements are reduced as you get older... They aren't always easier. For me it seemed like the Army was synced on my age. But at times as I hit a new age group, some of the requirements were increased.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:20 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,036,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I would rephrase it to say the Physical Readiness Test requirements are reduced as you get older... They aren't always easier. For me it seemed like the Army was synced on my age. But at times as I hit a new age group, some of the requirements were increased.
Your are correct, the Army has it figured out, age versus same effort.

Also as a new enlistee it's not like during a group run you can stop/slow down if the group out paces your APFT (fitness test) minimums. If you're not keeping up with the rest of the formation (of 18 year olds) they will dog you out.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:41 PM

56 posts, read 107,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I've been considering for quite some time now. Am I too old?
No.

Quote:
Is it more difficult the older you are?
Not if you're in shape. I've seen 50 year old Chief Master Sergeants run faster and pump out more push ups than 20 year olds.

Quote:
Am I limited to certain branches or certain fields of work due to my age?
No, the field your degree is in is the only thing that will limit you.

Quote:
What are some of the first steps one needs to take, and what are some of the options out there?
Research each branch and see what they have to offer before you walk into any recruiting facility. I would recommend the Air Force all the way because they treat their people really really good but keep in mind that if you go the Officer route you will deploy a lot.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I meant no offense, of course it is/was 'reduced' in a system of tiers.

And like everything it is all likely to change.

In the Navy; we rarely do group PT, or anything in formation.

I have done many of my semi-annual PRTs one person at a time. Sit-ups and push-ups on a steel deck, and the 'run' by running-in-place [a committee would resolve how many paces were required to run 1.5 miles and how high our knees had to be raised for each pace to count] likewise on a steel deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues