Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:59 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjp View Post
Sorry, I am not on the thread I thought, but this one fits the bill anyway.

I would like to travel Space A for the first time. I am a retired enlisted reservist. I know my chances are the worst. So if I could get an approximation of the probabilitiy for seats on flights 'from & to' & in a reasonable time window, I could save myself an exercise in futility.

Can anyone help with that or point me in the right direction?

thanks, djp

current interests are: Washingtion, DC; Alaska; Hawaii; Oregon; N Dakota
It really helps to know where you are starting from, You can start here: Air Mobility Command - AMC Travel - This is to the official Air Mobility Command Travel Web page. Whether you are traveling Space Required or Space Available, this page is your one-stop shop for all your travel needs, including Passenger Terminal contact information, locations, and regulatory guidance.

[SIZE=4] Space-A Eligibility[/SIZE]
The following types of travelers are authorized to use Space-A airlift. [SIZE=2]The regulation DoD 4515.13-R contains a complete listing of eligible passengers by category, and the AMC site lists the majority of information you will need to plan your trip. [/SIZE] Required documentation for each traveler is also listed below. Please have those documents ready for review when selected for travel:
  • Active Duty Uniformed Services Member (includes National Guard and Reserve members on active duty in excess of 30 days and Cadets and Midshipmen of the U.S. Service Academies): DD Form 2 (Green), US Armed Forces ID Card (Active), Form 2 NOAA (Green), Uniformed Services ID and Privilege Card (Active), or PHS Form 1866-3 (Green), US Public Health Service ID Card (Active), and a valid leave authorization or evidence of pass status.
  • Retired Uniformed Service Members: DD Form 2 (Blue), US Armed Forces ID Card (Retired), DD Form 2 (Blue) NOAA, Uniformed Services ID Card (Retired), or PHS Form 1866-3 (Blue), US Public Health Service ID Card (Retired).
  • National Guard and Reserve Members: Authorized Reserve Component Members (National Guard and Ready Reserve) and members of the Standby Reserve who are on the Active Status List: DD Form 2 (Red), Armed Forces of the United States ID Card (Reserve) and DD Form 1853, Verification of Reserve Status for Travel Eligibility.
  • Retired Reservists Entitled to Retired Pay at Age 60: DD Form 2 (Red) and a notice of retirement eligibility as described in DoD Directive 1200.15. If the automated DD Form 2 (Red) has been issued, the member is registered in his or her service personnel system as a Reserve retiree entitled to retired pay at age 60, and a notice of retirement is not required.
  • Retired Reservists Qualified for Retired Pay: DD Form 2 (Blue), US Armed Forces ID Card (Retired), DD Form 2 (Blue) NOAA, Uniformed Services ID Card (Retired), or PHS Form 1866-3 (Blue), US Public Health Service ID Card (Retired).
  • On Active Duty for 30 Days or Less: DD Form 2 (Red), orders placing the Reservist on active duty, and a valid leave authorization or evidence of pass status.
  • ROTC, Nuclear Power Officer Candidate (NUPOC), and Civil Engineer Corps (CEC) Members: When enrolled in an advanced ROTC, NUPOC, or CEC course or enrolled under the financial assistance program: DD Form 2 (Red) and DD Form 1853.
  • Family Members of Uniformed Services Members: DD Form 1173, United States Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card.
  • EML Travelers: EML travel orders issued in accordance with Combatant Command procedures.
  • [SIZE=2]Disabled and Widows/Widowers: Currently, 100 percent disabled veterans and widows of service members are not eligible to use Space-A travel. (Visit source website)[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 PM

367 posts, read 765,317 times
Went Space A a few times alone on ordinary leave. It was tons of fun and adventurous. Now that I'm retired and married, it would be totally different. Agree with other posters who say that it's best if your not on a tight schedule.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:46 AM

90 posts, read 217,283 times
Greetings,

I'm a cat. VI (USN Reserves)

I'm planning a solo motorcycle trip to Alaska. I'm setting up my 45-55 day window to hit on 10JUN2014. This is a Tuesday. The location will be McChord. I'm trying to fly into anywhere Alaska. Anchorage or Fairbanks would be good.

If I was to stay on location (McChord) for a 10 days, what would be the odds of getting a flight to Alaska?

I'd like to rent a motorcyle or vehicle or even purchase a bicycle (put in back of trucks for long distances), and tour the state for a solid month (and even the Yukon). I'd rather keep the milage and wear and tear on my MC low.

Another option would be just to ride up through BC, and maybe get some trailer/truck lifts of opportunity. My MC is just 400lbs fully loaded with gear.

The Marine Alaskan Ferry is too expensive. I have plenty of time, so riding through Canada is much more frugal.

Edit: Keeping my MC on base for 30 days is ok, right?

Thanks for reading.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:58 PM

22 posts, read 40,662 times
@Lucky

I am not sure the availability of Space A out of McChord to Alaska but do keep in mind that June and July are in the busiest part of PCS season. How much that will affect your travels I don't know from Washington St. to Alaska. When the wife and I moved to Ramstein 3 years ago we took the rotator out of BWI. There were people in the terminal waiting for up to a week for a flight back and had to keep waiting with all of the PCS orders trumping their leave.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback

I agree with your dates.

Peak season indeed.

15-May to 15-Sep is a bad time for for a cat 6

Old 08-03-2014, 12:26 PM

Default Norfolk NAS vs Dover, AFB

Greetings,

I hope everyone's summer is going well.

I never went or tried to go on any space-A flights.

I am going to try and go during off season.

I have the off season as the day after labor day-----week before Thanksgiving.

I am interested in taking a flight out of either of the two locations in the title.

What would allow the best odds of getting to Europe?
Germany, Italy, and lastly Spain would be the order of interest.

The reason I ask:
It would be easier on me to try and make things happen at NAS. Cheaper, and I have friends and family in the area.

My inital research looks like NAS is good to go!

It looks like Italy and Spain are failry constant.

__
Thanks for reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues