Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,499,450 times

Advertisements

Need advice on baked goods (and anything else) to send to Iraq in the heat. Started a thread on the food board, feel free to post to either one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...l#post14425245
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
Over at Food you asked about mixing toiletries with food in care packages. I will mix light weight, completely unscented non-food items with food but that's it. I never include anything heavy or scented with food packages. Also, I try to pack liquids or anything gooey without anything else that could get gooed on.

I used to have a couple good links to sites with lots of care package ideas and helpful hints. I'll look to see if I still have them bookmarked. Plenty of sites out there but these were a few of my favorites.

I forget - is the Soldier your husband/boyfriend or some other relation? That can make a difference in terms of what people will suggest for you.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,522 times
Mmmmmm....

Baked goods are going to be a tough one. Several times while there we received Girl Scout Cookie shipments that had been left in a CONEX (shipping container) outside in the sun and heat. They were edible but all melted together. We ended up bringing them inside to the AC and simply broke them up to eat them or cut them up sort of like a crunchy pastry. All I can suggest is to do some research online to see what you can bake that will keep but many times we got stuff that was bad....either moldy or like a brick. Perhaps the most important thing is to seal it tight! Keep all the air out of it and keep it completely closed. Tin-foil won't work, it won't keep the dust out which is everywhere and the consistency of talc and WILL get into EVERYTHING...nope you will need to hermetically seal what ever baked goods you send out.

...all that being said...

Thank you for supporting the troops though! We know how tough it is to get stuff to us (use the APO/FPO US Postal Flat rate boxes...as much weight as you can fit into the flat rate box! We used to LOVE getting those things over there...) but you simply can NOT imagine what a HUGE moral boost it is getting stuff from home...even the care packages from people we don't know...from Churches and Scout groups Support Networks...Those were EXTREMELY POPULAR!!!! The hard candy (good for dusty throats) the pens paper, notebooks, the disposable razors...hot sauce... all of it was GREAT!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:14 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I would not try to send baked goods out of the country. You don't know how long it will take them to get there and anything with moisture will rot from the heat.
I know you want to stir love into something, but buy pre packaged food that won't melt instead.
My son loved peanutbutter stuffed pretzels, taco chips and salsa, gum, hard candy, those Crystal Light drink packets that are for a bottle of water. I always stuck in a good magazine, an issue of the local paper, and a paperback book. Ask your soldier what he would like. In most cases, they are really fed very well, and have the basics. But there might be something he really wants.
The Post Office has a decent sized box for a reduced price if you are sending to a soldier. You can put in whatever you can fit and the weight doesn't matter. It's been awhile, but I think it was $6.95.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
All I can suggest is to do some research online to see what you can bake that will keep but many times we got stuff that was bad....either moldy or like a brick.
This is what I was afraid of.

He's no relation, just a guy from a special interest forum.

I think I'll stick to store bought stuff, at least until it cools down unless someone can give me a recipe they've personally sent and know it got there edible. Toosie gave me a link to Nestle with a few recipes but they look bad. LOL No butter, no peanut butter, no brown sugar. There went all my recipes right there. Oh and no coconut so there went the Magic Bars.

He specifically asked for hometown newspapers, and I see someone here mentioned that too, so that seems to be popular with many of them.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:07 PM

One more question I just thought of. Filling out the Customs form, does everyone really list every single thing, adding another form if necessary? Cuz last one I sent I had like 15 items in there and only 4 spaces to list stuff. I only listed 4 and hope it doesn't get tossed out.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
No. I used to run a Family Readiness Group. I'm gonna PM you with a section from an old newsletter that details the technical side of sending care packages. You can include the blurb I mention in the newsletter and then list a few examples. That's sufficient.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 PM

948 posts, read 3,357,468 times
LIP BALM!!!! Hard, sweet candy and easy read magazines are nice.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
No. I used to run a Family Readiness Group. I'm gonna PM you with a section from an old newsletter that details the technical side of sending care packages. You can include the blurb I mention in the newsletter and then list a few examples. That's sufficient.
Thank you! So much easier!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
Baked goods are not an issue. My best advice....do not send any chocolate or other candy that melts.
I have sent brownies, cookies without chocolate chips in them. They have these awesome ziplock bags that you can get this little gadget and pump the air out of. When you send baked goods, put a peice of bread in it. It helps.
They can always use baby wipes! Its one of the biggest request that my husband asks for.
Waterguns!, waterballoons etc. Pretty much cheap kid toys and gag gifts are a hit!

With the customs forms since they recentlly redid them, I would put the items that are of value on them. Also insure the package. This way if the item becomes missing you can file a claim with the post office if you need to.

Here is a link to a thread a while back ago that can help you out also. //www.city-data.com/forum/milit...ges-ideas.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues