Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:18 PM

53 posts, read 70,636 times

Advertisements

My mother was telling me about the situation of her friends daughter.

This girl's husband got back from Iraq 6 months ago. He recently found he was going to be deployed to Afgahnastan (sp?) in early July. They are first time parents and the delivery date is early July, also. The girl thinks because she is friends with the wife of her husbands commander and because it's a first child he will get push his deployment by a few months. When my mom related this story to me, it just made me curious...do they ever get to push a deployment for this kind of thing? The husband is an officer (just out of the acadame) and does a special job...so there aren't a million people to fill his spot.

Anyway, my Mom asked me and I don't have a clue. Do you guys know if this ever happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
I have only heard of one time where they actually let a soldier stay. However he had to report and he was at the drop off place until he was told last minute that he could stay behind for the birth of their child. Everyother than that, every other time they have had to go. It does not matter if the wife is friends with the CO's wife or not. The wife has no pull when it comes to matters of the military. She needs to prepare for the worst just in case.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I have only heard of one time where they actually let a soldier stay. However he had to report and he was at the drop off place until he was told last minute that he could stay behind for the birth of their child. Everyother than that, every other time they have had to go. It does not matter if the wife is friends with the CO's wife or not. The wife has no pull when it comes to matters of the military. She needs to prepare for the worst just in case.

Thanks for the input. That what my mom was thinking. Not much wiggle room while a war is going on.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:28 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
I deployed many times, and I never stayed behind. Nor did I ever see anyone else stay behind for a baby due-date.

Break a leg, yes.
Have a baby, no.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalit View Post
My mother was telling me about the situation of her friends daughter.

This girl's husband got back from Iraq 6 months ago. He recently found he was going to be deployed to Afgahnastan (sp?) in early July. They are first time parents and the delivery date is early July, also. The girl thinks because she is friends with the wife of her husbands commander and because it's a first child he will get push his deployment by a few months. When my mom related this story to me, it just made me curious...do they ever get to push a deployment for this kind of thing? The husband is an officer (just out of the acadame) and does a special job...so there aren't a million people to fill his spot.

Anyway, my Mom asked me and I don't have a clue. Do you guys know if this ever happens?
I cringe when I read that they are "friends of the husbands commander" - the Army doesn't work like that with special benefits to "friends" -

The Army does "take care of its own" whether the soldier is an officer, enlisted, male, female.

If the soldier gets a note from the physician, sometimes that can delay his deployment. I'm sure the command will take care of him - not because he's a friend.

I'd also recommend that the pregnant wife get her family/in-laws to assist during the first few weeks/months if needed.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
They won't push back his deployment but...

1. it's the army, things change, it's just an air window and the whole deployment *could* happen later for everyone

2. they might let him use his leave then but likely he'd have to start mobilizing with them in order to do that so it's all a matter of timing

3. if she goes into labor once he deploys they could send a red cross emergency message and his commander can use his discretion as to whether he can come home on emergency leave.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:25 PM

Thanks for all the info and replies. This is what I thought, that the army plays it straight, no special favors. My mom was just curious, but I think she thought this was the case, too.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:27 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
My husband is in a tiny, very close-knit career field and they sometimes work things out amongst each other but if this is a unit deployment, where a bunch of people are all going at the same time, it seems unlikely unless they find someone to just take his place.

If I were them I would not count on it, especially if he is new to the career field and has not yet developed strong professional relationships with his unit. You never know though, but I think they need to plan for the worst-case scenario

Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,849 times
I agree, not too likely to happen. We are a military family. Many of my friends have gone through childbirth alone while their husbands were deployed. One of my good friend's husband is a CO and my friend was scheduled to have a c-section 3 days after he was to deploy. Being the CO, he did have the option to stay back for a couple of weeks, but he decided to go with his troops.

The only time I have seen the Army let someone stay back was if there was serious health issues. Never for routine births...

Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
I think there's a chance that the husband will get to stay behind until the birth. Maybe, maybe not -- it's really the commander's call. There actually is a lot of wiggle room. I also think the that the fact that the wife is a friend of the commander's wife also helps. I say that as someone who has 10 years of active duty service in the Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues