Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:32 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTAM View Post
Its not like i am getting out.. I would just be going guard. Also I will be doing school for 4 year, towards a BA, and then 2 more years for a MBA. I will be using my MGIB. If when school is over, I cant find a job, I can always look towards getting an active guard spot. I can tell you though.. I have only been a crew chief for 3 years and I hate it already... No way I want to do 20 lol.. Also I cant crosstrain for another 2 years if i stay active duty... plus from luke afb, the only way to another base is after you get sent to korea.. Im married, you know its a 90% divorce rate along with orders to korea. Im not going to but myself through that for 1 year in korea.

Another thing... can you stop and continue your benefits at any time... say you plan on having a baby so you start the benefits up... then stop them again. I know it sounds a little retarded but money doesnt grow on trees.
I still don't think you "get it" regarding how difficult it is to get one of those "active guard spots" even for those who are in a unit. It isn't like active duty. The most "full time" you're going to get is if you volunteer for deployments--3 months here, 6 months there. That's what I did. Funding is tight now. Those AGR slots are golden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Im married, you know its a 90% divorce rate along with orders to korea.
I don't know where you heard that, but I do not for one minute believe that. You have any verifiable proof of that statistic?

I had two unaccompanied tours in Korea...

Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 PM

31 posts, read 298,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I still don't think you "get it" regarding how difficult it is to get one of those "active guard spots" even for those who are in a unit. It isn't like active duty. The most "full time" you're going to get is if you volunteer for deployments--3 months here, 6 months there. That's what I did. Funding is tight now. Those AGR slots are golden.
Check out this website http://www.calguard.ca.gov/cahr/Pages/AirAGR.aspx. When an AGR spot becomes available, they post it here. As you can see there are like 15 open right now. Now multiply that by every state and im sure with some aggressive applying you can land an AGR spot...

Plus, I said in the post i was going guard to go to school, meaning I would be part time. I will be doing 4 years for a BA than another 2 years for a Masters (MBA).. and if its needed after that, another 1.5 years for an Executive (EMBA). Im sure with 3 years active and another 7.5 years guard, I will have no problem sercuring a AGR spot. And really, I would only look to have an AGR spot in the event that I am struggling to find a civilian job. Thats way out into the future, so who know what will happen by then.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I don't know where you heard that, but I do not for one minute believe that. You have any verifiable proof of that statistic?

I had two unaccompanied tours in Korea...
The thing about Luke AFB is that when you PCS, you only PCS to one place, Korea! Most guys that leave Korea stay overseas or come back to luke. Ive witnessed alot of divorces first hand and heard about tons more. I would have to say that the 10% are older folks or the ones that are married with a kid, the kid being what holds everything together. Younger marriges with no kids though, high divorce rate. Although, if you want to get alll technical about it, NO i dont have hard fact evidence of the specific amount. They should add a category to the outprocessing checklist: If single & married, please complete the following divorce paperwork.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Although, if you want to get alll technical about it, NO i dont have hard fact evidence of the specific amount. They should add a category to the outprocessing checklist: If single & married, please complete the following divorce paperwork.
I need not say more....

Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 PM

Either way... Im not willing to put myself or my wife through that.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Check out this website http://www.calguard.ca.gov/cahr/Pages/AirAGR.aspx. When an AGR spot becomes available, they post it here. As you can see there are like 15 open right now. Now multiply that by every state and im sure with some aggressive applying you can land an AGR spot...

Plus, I said in the post i was going guard to go to school, meaning I would be part time. I will be doing 4 years for a BA than another 2 years for a Masters (MBA).. and if its needed after that, another 1.5 years for an Executive (EMBA). Im sure with 3 years active and another 7.5 years guard, I will have no problem sercuring a AGR spot. And really, I would only look to have an AGR spot in the event that I am struggling to find a civilian job. Thats way out into the future, so who know what will happen by then.
I don't need to check out the website. I am IN a Guard unit and I am telling you from inside experience, not some stupid website where they are REQUIRED by law to post the positions, even though they already have picked who will get them.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
There is no medical or dental available during IDT (drills). The exception is if you are unjured or there might be a flight surgeons office at some aviation units.
Must have just changed then because there was for the 6 yrs I was ANG - well medical at least. May depend on the setup also ie if you're drilling at an active duty base or ANG "base" like I was at. It wasn't the same as a full-up active duty base, but they were there every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I don't need to check out the website. I am IN a Guard unit and I am telling you from inside experience, not some stupid website where they are REQUIRED by law to post the positions, even though they already have picked who will get them.
Wisdom here. ANG units are often very "clique-ish" and/or full of people who've been there forever and it's who you know. ie don't kid yourself about "oh I'll just pop in and find a spot" - riiight, good luck w/that.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Quote:
Either way... Im not willing to put myself or my wife through that.
I agree that you should get out of the military.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-07-2010 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate portion

Old 03-19-2010, 02:01 AM

All in all... I could do a career, become a chief and when I looked back on it, I would not be happy with what i have accomplished.. For me to stay in the military, I would have to go officer. Obviously you guys cant read, because my focus will be going to school and guard would be part-time. The only time at which I would try to get an AGR spot is after my schooling, around 6 years or more from now, if im struggling to find a good civilian job. Im sure I will meet and "KNOW" people by then.

So here are my choices:

Option 1
Stay in for 20 years, collect a retirement check, and then have to get a job to cover the rest of lifes expenses with no real transferrable experience from my air force career into a job i enjoy. (Theres no way im going to continue to do something Im not happy doing, then get out after 20 years and continue doing the same thing in the civilian world.)

Option 2
Finish my 3 years as active duty, get out and wander around asking myself, "what do i do now?"

Option 3
Ive just completed the required 36 months of service which allows me to now start using my GI Bill. I transfer to the guard part-time. Apply to go to school at Caltech. I will collect $2052.00 for e-5 bah and pay tuition with my GI Bill and a scholarship for 4 years to get my ba/bs in computer science. I will then do another 2 years to get my masters. Once my schooling is done, I will apply for jobs as a product development manager, hopefully working for microsft, apple, sony, etc. I will continue my guard service until my 20 year or more mark as part-time with a civilian job.

In the end, when i turn 60 I plan on having the following:

-Guard retirement and benifits (If benefits are included for retirment)
-A couple hundred thousand dollars from my TSP investment (currently at 24 I have 10k in my tsp)
-A sucessful civilian job as a company executive either collecting a second retirement or still working for a technology company, hopefully Microsoft or Apple.

So tell me why you guys are all hating of the fact that I want to go with option 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues