Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's the quickest way to trip up a wannabe, isn't it?
Some relatives are still amazed that we knew these abreviations and knew what they meant. I do think some of those names are stupid and could have easily been shortened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 PM

630 posts, read 1,874,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
How about when you tell military stories you automatically go back to using abbreviations no one outside your rating or branch can understand. In my case it's things like 1BSSTG, DFT, FOD, #1LOP, and EOSS for example.
Even better is going back to a ship you were on,which now happens to be a museum.I "opened" main control,and gave my wife and a couple from Nebraska an impromptu tour!!! Of course,after we lost them,the bride and I went to after berthing and made out,VERY romantic!!! LOL,fair winds and following seas...

Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
Even better is going back to a ship you were on,which now happens to be a museum.I "opened" main control,and gave my wife and a couple from Nebraska an impromptu tour!!! Of course,after we lost them,the bride and I went to after berthing and made out,VERY romantic!!! LOL,fair winds and following seas...

Wow, that must be a real bummer to find a ship you served on now a museum.

I guess it's sort of like how you feel when the aircraft from your war starts showing up on display at VFW posts.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:12 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
There was that one about the hooker at the veterans' convention that decided to support the troops by giving one of the old soldiers there a roll in the hay. After it was over, she said, "Wow, that was fantastic--when was the last time you had sex?" He replies, "1957." "Wow," she says, "You sure haven't forgotten how to do it!" He replies, "I would hope not, it's only 2130 now."

Old 03-07-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Wow, that must be a real bummer to find a ship you served on now a museum.

I guess it's sort of like how you feel when the aircraft from your war starts showing up on display at VFW posts.
Better than hearing it was turned into razor blades. Scrapped. The first ship I was on was decommissioned while I was still on it, so I'm considered a plankowner. USS CORAL SEA (CV-43) "The Ageless Warrior" 1947-1990.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
What's funny on that is when someone who was never in the military does it with the "wrong" words. "ABC...yknow, Airplane, Balloon, Chelsea...."
lol..."B as in boy" is not wrong per se, but it does irritate me. I'm immediately thinking, "You mean Bravo, right?" But I keep it in.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
How about when you tell military stories you automatically go back to using abbreviations no one outside your rating or branch can understand. In my case it's things like 1BSSTG, DFT, FOD, #1LOP, and EOSS for example.

Why don't they just know things like CINCLANTFLT, CNO, AFFES, SECDEF...?

You know, I was thinking about my experiences in the Navy. We had SH's to provide ship's services, but none of those services were available in [home] port. So just what did those guys do all day when we returned to home port? Were they only TAD to our ship while underway? I never really thought about that when I was serving.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:39 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
How about when you're talking to someone on the phone and reenforcing the spelling of something with Alpha, Charlie, Siera, Delta, etc?
Ha, I still do that a lot!

Last edited by MrSykes; 03-07-2010 at 03:12 AM..

Old 03-07-2010, 03:11 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
1. When no matter how much stuff you're carrying, you always find a way to keep it all in the left hand.

2. When "aye" or "roger that" becomes the de facto replacement of "okay" as the form of acknowledgment of everything you hear.

3. When you still curl your fingers while walking.

4. When allowing someone to pass you on your left in a crowded aisle at the grocery store, you immediately turn left, step back, and assume a modified position of attention while facing the person until they pass.

5. When you sing cadence to yourself while jogging on the treadmill at the gym.

6. When you still find yourself filling out everything in ALL CAPS.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:41 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
lol..."B as in boy" is not wrong per se, but it does irritate me. I'm immediately thinking, "You mean Bravo, right?" But I keep it in.
Got tired of the stupid looks I got when I said bravo or indigo and went back to b for boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues