Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 12:18 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times

Advertisements

I've read that the Army will be getting Multi-cam uniforms issued for duty in Afghanistan to replace the ACU foliage green pattern. I'm guessing it will only be a matter of time when the multi-cam gets phased in across the board as standard issue. Typically the Air Force follows suit and I wouldn't be surprised to see the AF adopt the multi-cam a few years down the road as well.

My gripe is this...after all the money that was spent researching, developing, testing, and ultimately issuing the ACU/ABU pattern/color, what have these clowns in the Pentagon discovered about multi-cam that they couldn't figure out before? Yeah, green/gray doesn't blend as well as the earthtones of multi-cam...this is what happens when office weenies test uniforms insead of troops outside the wire. Most servicemembers I know from both services disliked the ACU/ABU colors, and felt they didn't really blend in as well as the Marines MARPAT, which was proven to be the best uniform for camoflauge and duties in the field. So why not have the services adopt ONE pattern that works best instead of all of this individuality of services and changing uniforms every 5 years?

Not only do they have to replace uniforms and boots, but packs, pouches, and all the other gear as well. It's a tremendous waste of money and resources, and I often cringe when I hear Generals crying about how we need to watch our spending, yet with each new service Chief of Staff, we get uniform changes. Enough already!

Anyone else fed up with these uniform changes? FWIW, I do prefer the multi-cam design to the current ACU/ABU, it just should have been implemented during the testing phase years ago. Hell, I'd prefer olive drab or the DCU's to the graphite uniforms we've got now, which are way too thick and heavy w/too many useless pockets. Ok, rant off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Technology changes... I spent some time testing at Aberdeen Proving Grounds and Fort Belvoir. I don't arbitrarily call those people clowns.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Sorry all you took from the thread was the clown remark. I'm not talking about folks whose job it is to research options, I'm talking about leadership that doesn't listen to the troops in the field.

Fact remains, they spent millions to implement the ACU/ABU after already dismissing multi-cam. Now they're taking a harder look at multi-cam based on the voice of troops in the field, which is what they should have been doing from day one. Instead, they tested these things in office environments for feedback, versus deployed locations. It doesn't take a research and development team to see that ACU's aren't as effective as MARPAT or multi-cam. These Generals act as though they didn't know that multicam was more effective, even after previous studies showed it performed better. Talk about arrogance. It costs about $300 million to outfit the Army with new uniforms across the board. It took a Congressman who actually listened to the concerns of NCO's in the field to demand the Army leadership look into alternatives.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
ACUs were primarily developed for Iraq as we know Iraq is not now the hot spot and things change.

The Air Force went to a pretty cool tiger strip uniform about 2 years ago so I'm thinking their set for the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues