Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 05:13 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
... while they claim to be for the military member, I truly don't think they are, as evidenced by some of their business practices.
By 'military member' you mean Commissioned Offices only, until recently.

They certainly do not have a history of helping the US military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 05:33 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
By 'military member' you mean Commissioned Offices only, until recently.

They certainly do not have a history of helping the US military.
They opened membership to enlisted members in 1996 which is almost 20 years ago. Is 20 years ago "recently" in your book?

How have they not helped the US Military? They are a great company and have great customer service. They have great products for military members. Unfortunately their current insurance prices keep them from being competitive these days but I still use them for many financial products.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:10 PM

I tried to join them in 2001.

I was turned away for being a servicemember.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I tried to join them in 2001.

I was turned away for being a servicemember.
Were you retired then? They didn't open eligibility for retired members until 2008. Enlisted servicemembers could join in 1996 as that is when I did.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:17 PM

I spoke with them when I was on Active Duty.

I had seen advertising off and on for years, and finally thought I would check them out, before I retired.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/abou...kredirect=true
Quote:

Jan. 1: First enlisted personnel gain eligibility and become USAA members.

USAA commissions own ethics study. The USAA Ethics Office is created to formalize USAA's long-standing commitment to ethical business conduct. In the 1990s USAA becomes part of a grassroots effort in American industry to establish ethics offices.

USAA is named to Working Mother magazine's "100 Best Companies for Working Mothers."
Quote:

BusinessWeek magazine names USAA its No. 1 Customer Service Champ again.

USAA sponsors first prime-time TV special — America United in Support of our Troops.

USAA introduces online Car Buying Service.

Eligibility requirements are expanded to include:
Military retirees, regardless of when they retired.
Military personnel who received an Honorable discharge on or after Jan. 1, 1996.
After they join, spouses and children of the above may also be eligible for membership.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:24 PM

All I can say is what they told me to my face.

Could they have maybe offered it in certain places in different years? I have no idea.

I really made me mad when I was shown the door.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:53 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,516 times
My husband is a VietNam era vet (discharged in the 1970s) and I just got quotes for home and auto. We currently have The Hartford through AARP. We have a daughter in college in Florida who has one of our cars with her but she maintains her legal residence at our home (western state).

Assuming ALL the cars were in our home state, the USAA quote was almost double our Hartford rate. The homeowners was over $850 and our current with Hartford is just less than $650.

And, since our daughter has a car with her out of state they told me we would have to insure that vehicle with Florida rates which are much higher than our home state...with a 24 year old driver...are you kidding me! I specifically called The Hartford when she planned her move a few years ago and they emphatically told us that as long as her drivers license and the vehicle are registered at home we should definitely keep the car on the policy at home, and they encouraged us to do so.

I wondered if we took her off our policy and she got her own USAA and we had our own USAA...um nope. The cost just for her to be insured on a 10 year old Saturn (even reducing the coverage and increasing the deductible) was as much as we pay for the entire family (3 drivers, 4 vehicles!) with AARP, before our quote (just for the two of us) was ever considered. She has an excellent credit rating and clean driving record and we do too. I specifically asked if all the quotes included the same discounts we have now with Hartford (good student, multi-vehicle, combo home and auto, air bags, anti-lock brakes) and they included all of that in their quotes.

All of these quotes were apples to apples... same coverage amounts, same deductibles, same drivers assigned to the same vehicles. I'm not really sure why everyone raves about USAA. We have very few claims and have had excellent service with State Farm (had it from the time I started driving for the next 25 years) and also great service from The Hartford for the last 12 years. My husband (car guy) even had a restored Mustang totalled by a drunk driver and they worked with him to a fair conclusion.

I'm also relatively certain the USAA rep told me they do not offer homeowners insurance in Florida during the discussion, but you might check on that. I think it came up as part of the discussion for our daughter to get renter's insurance in FL.

You have to be 50 or older to get the AARP through The Hartford. But it you are, it's worth getting a quote. I pay a small AARP membership fee ($40?/year) which also affords us discounts on hotels, rental cars, and lots of other stuff.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
All I can say is what they told me to my face.

Could they have maybe offered it in certain places in different years? I have no idea.

I really made me mad when I was shown the door.
Are you sure this was USAA? They didn't have branches so I don't know how you could have been face to face or shown the door?

Begins offering face-to-face service at offices in Tampa and Colorado Springs.

USAA provides new face-to-face opportunities for members with Financial Centers in key locations.

Last edited by LBTRS; 08-29-2015 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-29-2015, 08:26 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
When you read all the experiences people have with so many different Insurance companies. It makes you wonder why the rates vary so much from person to person. When Allstate raised my rates the $100 this renewal for no reason at all. I decided it was enough. I would be done with them. I got quotes from virtually everyone, and USAA gave me the cheapest rates for the same coverage with Allstate. Some of the quotes from various companies were as much as $2000 a year. I really had no choice but go with USAA.

I have no idea what my future experience will be with USAA, but I hope they live up to their many good reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues