Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 AM

167 posts, read 470,125 times

Advertisements

We have found USAA tops in every department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
Less than $85/month for full coverage on TWO cars? Excuse me while I snort.

What type of deductible do you have now? We have two cars (minivan & small SUV), no tickets, accidents, etc - with rates that low, full coverage, you must have small/inexpensive vehicles.

We live in TX. $150 ded. Full tow/lock out service. USAA - approx $1100/6 months. Everyone else (SF, Allstate, etc) $2100+/6 months. While in Florida, one car, full coverage, USAA was $420/6 months. SF was $390/6 month. Moved to NM and switched to USAA when SF wanted $240+ per MONTH. USAA was still about $420/6 months - tho with SF our ded was $500, with USAA $150.

Most insurance company rates swing drastically from state to state - USAA is the ONLY company that sells insurance in all 50 states, hence their rates tend to be about the same everywhere.

Homeowner's insurance though is quite a bit more through USAA - might be because of the better customer service, though since they opened their banking to civilians a few years ago, customer service has been taking a dive.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Less than $85/month for full coverage on TWO cars? Excuse me while I snort.

What type of deductible do you have now? We have two cars (minivan & small SUV), no tickets, accidents, etc - with rates that low, full coverage, you must have small/inexpensive vehicles.

We live in TX. $150 ded. Full tow/lock out service. USAA - approx $1100/6 months. Everyone else (SF, Allstate, etc) $2100+/6 months. While in Florida, one car, full coverage, USAA was $420/6 months. SF was $390/6 month. Moved to NM and switched to USAA when SF wanted $240+ per MONTH. USAA was still about $420/6 months - tho with SF our ded was $500, with USAA $150.

Most insurance company rates swing drastically from state to state - USAA is the ONLY company that sells insurance in all 50 states, hence their rates tend to be about the same everywhere.

Homeowner's insurance though is quite a bit more through USAA - might be because of the better customer service, though since they opened their banking to civilians a few years ago, customer service has been taking a dive.
Who are you talking too?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Even if cheaper, I would not switch. I love having my loans, insurance, banking, all with one company. USAA's customer service is unrivaled and not worth a little savings to switch. I'm going to remain loyal. I had a bad accident a year ago and didn't have a moment of worry about my insurance, rental car, time-frame, customer service, ect.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 AM

646 posts, read 1,642,233 times
I did the switch only because my premium was cut in HALF for the same coverage. We have been loyal to USAA, but we were paying the same amount as someone with tickets and a sports car. We have a squeaky clean record, so that was just nonsense.
We went through a local representative, so we can go to that office if we need to and speak to a real person instead of sitting on hold for 10min and then having to be transferred to a FL rep.
I just threw this out here for anyone that was thinking about switching. It saved us over 1k/yr. Usaa is a great company, we will probably keep our homeowners with them. Even though I'm wondering how much I could save by switching that as well.
Have a good weekend everyone

Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRESI View Post
Just want to let everyone know that we just switched our car insurance from Usaa to Allstate. Our premium Is now half as much, for the same exact coverage and lower deductibles! We have been a loyal customer of Usaa for many years.

If you are trying to save money, give them a call and see. Can't hurt!

Hope this helps!!

And hurray for the news of Bin Laden! Thanks to our Military and special ops for serving our great Nation!! Justice has been served.
Been with USAA since my father covered me in the early 60s and I covered myself since getting my own commission in the mid-60s. That's well over 40 years. Perhaps I could find cheaper coverage since my wife and I have perfect driving records but no one would beat their service. Well worth the cost!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 05-06-2011 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
That's VERY unusual that another company would have better rates for you than USAA. I work for an insurance company and all the agents want to sell me a policy - but as soon as they hear that I have USAA ~ they immediately tell me they know they can't beat the price.

I used to work for Allstate as well (great company) and they could not beat USAA's rates either.

So you must have gotten a REALLY good deal.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:40 AM

646 posts, read 1,642,233 times
When we bought our house, we shopped for our mortgage. The last two homes have been a mortgage with USAA, but not this time around. Their rates were higher and closing costs were too. We went through a different bank for our mortgage. Saved a bundle.
Maybe times are changing and other companies are getting more competitive? It helps to shop around. Compare apples to apples.
When I heard what our new premium would be, I thought it was too good to be true. Then I shopped around and found more INS companies that beat USAA's premiums here. Maybe it's where we live? I am very happy with our new found savings.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:16 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
We purchased our home with a USAA VA loan and even though then loan's been sold, USAA continues to service it. We received a good rate and are quite content, same with our insurance. Most of all it's the piece of mind of dealing with and through them.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:47 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRESI View Post
Just want to let everyone know that we just switched our car insurance from Usaa to Allstate. Our premium Is now half as much, for the same exact coverage and lower deductibles! We have been a loyal customer of Usaa for many years.

If you are trying to save money, give them a call and see. Can't hurt!

Hope this helps!!

And hurray for the news of Bin Laden! Thanks to our Military and special ops for serving our great Nation!! Justice has been served.
Did you factor in your Subscriber Savings Account distribution into your calculation of the premium?

And USAA rewards loyalty. My husband now gets an extra dividend since he has been a member over 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues