Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,515 times

Advertisements

I opened up an account with USAA recently and I was wondering how the bank verifies military service?

When I opened my account, nobody asked to see my DD-214.

I am willing to bet there are people with USAA bank accounts that never served a day in the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
I opened up an account with USAA recently and I was wondering how the bank verifies military service?

I am willing to bet there are people with USAA bank accounts that never served a day in the military.
Did/does either of your parents have USAA insurance? That's why I have USAA insurance. My father was Air Force and had USAA insurance. I qualified for USAA coverage because of him.

I know a lot of military "kids" who have USAA insurance and bank accounts because of their parents. I'm not exactly a kid. I'm retired.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:42 PM

143 posts, read 319,832 times
I think anyone can open an bank account with them but car insurance is different.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:22 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Usaa is a bank for military and their family. I'm a recent immigrant, and even I have it through my wife, who got it through her stepmothers nephew or something like that, so it's pretty widely available.

I had to send in some verification after a while, not immediately, so might be the same for you, in any case, it's a great bank, I certainly couldn't find a better one.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
USAA has a civilian bank and a military bank. They also provide insurance for their military and veteran customers. They do not need your DD214 to verify your military service - the SS number you provided would be proof enough. I know you gave them this, as this is mandatory to open any bank account in the US.

If you are a veteran and opened an account through their civilian branch, it would behoove you to change it as their military bank has more benefits. You cannot get an account for their military branch through a "stepmother's nephew" - you must be a servicemember, a veteran,a current spouse of either or a dependent of a member, under the age of 18, to get one. Once you are a member, you are a member for life, and the privileges are granted to your spouse and any dependents either of you have, provided you have them assigned a member number before the age of 18.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
USAA deals with anyone that applies and gets accepted, however, what you receive is a different story.....

Obviously, military receive all membership privileges...

USAA has an "Other" category for membership....
Quote:
USAA's investment products, most checking and savings products, credit cards, life insurance, and shopping and discounts are available to other individuals.
USAA auto and property insurance is not available due to membership eligibility requirements. New Hampshire and North Carolina residents who are not eligible for membership may be able to obtain USAA auto insurance by calling 1-800-531-USAA (8722) to determine eligibility as defined by these state's mandatory coverage laws.
All other individuals not eligible for USAA auto insurance may be able to obtain an auto policy through Progressive Insurance by calling 1-888-870-8096.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_...icgsch40701570

Old 09-04-2011, 06:50 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
At my last duty station, I saw a lot of the USAA advertising so I applied with them. But at the time I was not eligible to join.

I am glad that they have since opened their membership to all US servicemembers, instead of such a select group as it used to be.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:43 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post

GEICO stands for Government Employees Insurance Company, I don't see any disclaimer saying you have to be a Government Employee. USAA is advertising on television therefore they want anyone they can get

Old 09-04-2011, 07:46 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
GEICO stands for Government Employees Insurance Company, I don't see any disclaimer saying you have to be a Government Employee. USAA is advertising on television therefore they want anyone they can get

Yes, but "anyone" will not get the same benefits as someone in the military...

Old 09-04-2011, 08:03 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It is my understanding that GEICO used to be focused exclusively on Gov Employees. Just like how USAA was focused exclusively on commissioned officers.

It was only after many years of doing business, [and being successful] that they both decided to open their customer base to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues