Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Is this your "coming out" forum?

No, it's never been a secret. In fact, I've always had fun flashing my ACLU membership card down at the VFW and among my fellow Southern Baptist's. The reaction I get is usually worth the price of the card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:32 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The military has four times as many General officerss as it needs, more than at the height of World War II when the military had 13 million members. I'm sure they all have opiniions
Top heavy, like all bureaucracies become over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, it's never been a secret. In fact, I've always had fun flashing my ACLU membership card down at the VFW and among my fellow Southern Baptist's. The reaction I get is usually worth the price of the card.
Actually about 2% of what the ACLU does is for worthy causes. The other 98% is neo-comm groundwork.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:
Then let's extend the same benefits to opposite sex couples that are just living together and aren't married...
Nope; only to married couples, just as current regulations require. I guess I just don't believe that my marriage would be affected in any way if two men or two women married.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Nope; only to married couples, just as current regulations require. I guess I just don't believe that my marriage would be affected in any way if two men or two women married.
I agree, I was baiting our ACLU poster.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I agree, I was baiting our ACLU poster.
Didn't work, did it?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Quote:
Didn't work, did it?
Not this time...

Old 03-30-2010, 02:12 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

Seemes to be the favorite phrase thrown on those opposing gay marriage----------"and just how does that affect your marriage?--

It doesn;t !

However, in an arguement if our state should approve capital punishment, I feel I have the right to state my views on changing state law even though it won't affect my life one way or the other.

( I am opposed to capital punishment )

Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 6,172 times
Default More than the Policy itself

Look, there is more than just the policy that will change here. Now there will be changes to billiting, field conditions, hiegene areas etc. I know that I have served along side gay and lesbian in my career....never bothered me. I know that they work just as hard if not harder that strait soldiers but the issue is openly stating that a soldier is gay brings about a whole mess of other issues like I stated before.

heres one example: I no longer live in the barracks and I am pretty sure I was never roomed with a gay soldier when i did live in the B's. The military doesnt bunk male soldiers with female soldiers for privacy and safety reasons. Now gay soldiers will not be bunked with strait soldiers for the same reasons; privacy and saftey (safety of both strait and gay soldiers). I dont want my Tax dollars spent on remodeling barracks to accomidate this situation and i guarantee recruitment numbers will drop drasticly if strait recruits know there is a possibility they will have to shower and sleep next to an openly gay recruit.

I have friends that I know are gay but they know I am not. I dont have any issue with them serving and I am aware that everything I stated is happening right now...gay and strait are sleeping in bunks right next to each other...gay and strait are showing in the same bathrooms...but there is a huge difference when your standing there in the common showers and the guy next to you winks and smiles. let that happen on a drunk night and you could end up with a dead soldier. Some soldiers are not as tolerant as I am.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuckNDill View Post
Look, there is more than just the policy that will change here. Now there will be changes to billiting, field conditions, hiegene areas etc. I know that I have served along side gay and lesbian in my career....never bothered me. I know that they work just as hard if not harder that strait soldiers but the issue is openly stating that a soldier is gay brings about a whole mess of other issues like I stated before.

heres one example: I no longer live in the barracks and I am pretty sure I was never roomed with a gay soldier when i did live in the B's. The military doesnt bunk male soldiers with female soldiers for privacy and safety reasons. Now gay soldiers will not be bunked with strait soldiers for the same reasons; privacy and saftey (safety of both strait and gay soldiers). I dont want my Tax dollars spent on remodeling barracks to accomidate this situation and i guarantee recruitment numbers will drop drasticly if strait recruits know there is a possibility they will have to shower and sleep next to an openly gay recruit.

I have friends that I know are gay but they know I am not. I dont have any issue with them serving and I am aware that everything I stated is happening right now...gay and strait are sleeping in bunks right next to each other...gay and strait are showing in the same bathrooms...but there is a huge difference when your standing there in the common showers and the guy next to you winks and smiles. let that happen on a drunk night and you could end up with a dead soldier. Some soldiers are not as tolerant as I am.

Wait a minute...under Don't Ask, Don't Tell, gay and straight soldiers are bunking and showering together, but that'll have to change if the policy changes?

Why? That doesn't make sense. If they can do it now, why not then?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 6,172 times
Quote:
Wait a minute...under Don't Ask, Don't Tell, gay and straight soldiers are bunking and showering together, but that'll have to change if the policy changes?

Why? That doesn't make sense. If they can do it now, why not then?
For exactly the reason I stated...safety and privacy, not to mention Equal Opportunity. You cant protect the privacy of a female soldier from the peeping eyes of a male soldier unless you afford that same protection to a straight male against a gay male. EO flags would go up all over the place.

bottom line is...you dont know what you dont know. I consider my self to be understanding and tolerant but I still would not want to bunked in a 2 man room with a gay male soldier. The policy is fine as it is now.

let me ask a question...what is the benifit to the soldier to be openly gay? There is NONE! will the freedom that soldier feels for not having to hide his/her sexuality outway the backlash from other soldiers? I dont think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues