Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
It is part of that "warrior mentality" that the senior officers want to promote. They do not seem to care that if your job is to do nothing but sit at a computer screen day in and day out monitoring for cyber attacks, they want you to be able to go out and fight it out with a Marine. So you put in your hours on duty then you are suppose to go out after work and run and do push ups and all that crap. The Navy already figure it out years ago. On ships they had sailors doing 12 hour work shifts. Then they had to eat, clean up, sleep and they had no time to go jogging (let alone a place to do it) so they had a lot of unfit sailors. The Navy had a choice, kick them out and not have anyone to sit looking at radar screens and etc for 12 hours a day or cut them some slack. The Navy decided to cut them some slack and started looking at some of their standards based upon what the guy was actually suppose to do when on duty. (Plus fat over weight guys tend to float better when the ship sinks. They figured that one out in WW II but did not make it well known to the public.)
If there's no need for some one to have a warrior mentality then change the job from a uniformed MOS to a civil service position and saved the uniform billet for someone who actually fights and/or goes in harm's way. I used to hear people say the USAF was an airline with bombs and thought it was insulting remark, your comment makes it sound real.

I mean I know alot of blue uniforms are rear area guys, but you are'nt doing a 9 to 5 and do need to maintain some level of fitness. Remeber every soldier, sailor marine or airman, from finance clerk to computer tech has a secondary MOS of 11B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Like they teach us in BASIC in the Army, regardless of what MOS you signed up for, you are a soldier first- Meaning, you better be damn fit and know how to fire and maintain your weapon and equipment

Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
In our ANOC class, we had 1 person who was being taped.....had 4 other people do a "tape test" came up with 4 different results...thats why on the fourm it says 2 of the 3 measurments must be with 1/4 inch....

The Army physcial fitness program is a joke...push up, sit up, and then 2 mile run....that is also why the gym is full...because the exercises that you had to do (and if you deviated from them and hurt someone your butt was in a sling) ...well lets just say there are better exercises out there....that the ones in the manual.....

There were the few and very far between that were like you, who would push to have their Soldiers to do better...and even then, there are better exercises out there that give you better results....

So, i'm not really sure what your talking about......just because you were a master fitnesss trainer means nothing....

I was also a trainer, and I would teach the Soldier how to do it correctly....a few weeks/months I would go and check...and guess what...not doing it correct....
It doesn't surprise me that you don't get it...

Old 05-06-2010, 02:35 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
I took every version of the AF PT test and passed with flying colors, up to retirement. The only problem area for me was that darn waist or more appropriately "waste" measurement. I am a gym rat so I loved exercising and would PT even after a 12 hour day. I know for some that is nuts but I find that normal troops could exercise only 20-30 minutes per day to prepare for the PT test. I even had one buddy who practiced tested once a week.
Good luck!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:13 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
It doesn't surprise me that you don't get it...

Ahhhh...so you were a master fitness trainer...well hell....you must be right in everthing you say....

damned the people who were actually out there doing it...

When you taught someone....they were perfect in every way...right...even 10 years down the raod the did it exactally the way you wanted it....

You know, there maybe a reason I did not make it past E-7....I told the truth and people do not like the truth....makes you wonder why the Army is in the position it is now......

Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Interesting topic w/opinions all over the map, also interesting.

The AF test used to be just run 1.5 mi within time once a year - now that is a joke. Now they do the push up/sit up thing and waist measurement and it's twice a year, which is better, but it's all still more or less joke IMO, at least for USAF. For one the requirements for older guys are only slightly less than those for an 18 yr old, which is ridiculous. Further, being in shape is hardly as cut and dry as how good of a runner you are and/or how many push-ups/sit-ups you can do. ie some guys are big and "bulky" and while in shape, can't run for squat. Others are thin and wiry and can't do push ups for squat. They have tried to give it balance with a point system, but there are still minimums which are too high. I've seen guys in shape who barely squeaked by. Not everyone in the military (esp the AF ) is a workout warrior, nor should they have to be.

Further, as said above, a lot of guys are in total non-combat/support positions and beyond a VERY BASIC decent health condition, ensuring they can do so many push ups or run X time for 1.5 mi is simply stupid. And if health is so important, why doesn't the AF make cholesterol checks part of it? Heck they don't even DO those when you get a so-called "phyiscal"

The "military intelligence" oxymoron strikes again

Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
What the heck are you even talking about?? What exercised you had to do? Maybe you were in a sucky unit or something, but the Army PT test is no joke. I worked my ass off to earn my Physical Fitness patch in AIT and exceeded that score throughout permanent duty, competing more push-ups than most of the males in my company. If the PT text was ever a joke to you, it is because YOU made it one
Way to go....good for you...

The entire army physcial fitness program is a joke....I do not care what unit you are in...it is up to the individual...like everything else, I did not get into the shape I was in becasue of the Army PT program....it was becasue I went to the gym every night....and sometimes AFTER PT I would go to the gym...

Your right....I made it a joke because the entire progam is a joke...

SO what your saying is...because I could do 100 push ups, 90 something set ups...and run 2 mile in 13 minutes....that is a good factor that I'm in shape....

No that means I have trained my muscles in JUST those cases...push up set up and run does NOT train your entire body...ask anyone that the sit up can hurt you...why becasue you are pulling on your neck...

Again...better exercises are out there that can atain a better level of performance quicker...

Old 05-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I was a Master Fitness Trainer in the Army for amost 15 years and the Army Fitness Program has worked fine so I don't know what you are talking about. As long as the NCOs doing the testing/monitoring have integrity and training there isn't a problem.

I have to question your 15 years as a MFT.....since that particular school was only open from 1983 until 1992 and at that time they stripped the ASI and removed the program for ATRRS...in 1992.....

Who ever reads this...here is the article from Army Knowledge online staright from the MASTER FITNESS program main webpage...I bolded the important parts....

In 1982, as part of the Army-wide "Year of Fitness" initiative, SECARMY John O. Marsh created the USAPFS. The mission of this new organization was to develop physical fitness doctrine and training for Soldiers with the primary emphasis on preparing them to meet the physical demands of war. USAPFS was located at Ft. Benjamin Harrison. Additional responsibilities included researching the fitness needs of the Army, standardizing those requirements, and training the Army on these new fitness programs and standards.
In 1983, the school established the Mastr Fitness Trainer (MFT) course. This four-week, 137-hour course was designed to provide selected leaders with the skills necessary to become unit-level physical fitness trainers, a well as advisors to commanders on a variety of fitness issues. The MFT course trained leaders to assess individual and unit fitness status, analyze unit physical tasks and develop supporting programs, train other leaders to conduct productive and challenging PT, and understand basic anatomy/exercise physiology. MFT courses were conducted in residence, at USAR sites, and on a worldwide basis through Mobile Training Teams. From 1984 through 1989, the school conducted numerous studies and compiled detailed data on virtually all areas concerning physical fitness in the Army. These studies lead to more strenuous training standards, the development of new PT exercises and aided the development of several Army systems that directly affected Soldier physical performance. USAPFS provided technical advice during revision of physical fitness policy incorporated in AR 350-15, AR 350-41, and AR 350-1. In 1990, as a result of a CSA-approved initiative, USAPFS was recommended for elimination in FY 92. After extensive review, the Army senior leadership decided USAPFS was a necessity for total Army readiness. In 1991, the decision was made to maintain a cell of fitness professionals to train and educate the Army in the area of physical fitness.
As a result of subsequent negotiation between HQ TRADOC and the Department of Army, the school was functionally realigned and relocated to Fort Benning, Georgia in June of 1992. The school was placed under the U. S. Army Infantry Center, with the mission of physical fitness doctrine development, relevant research, standardization of fitness requirements in the Army, fitness policy development and training assistance to the Army. In addition, the MFT course was discontinued, removed from ATRRS and the ASI was no longer awarded.In 1995, the school revised and implemented new Army Physical Fitness Test standards (FM 21-20). In 2000, the school researched and developed the Army Physical Readiness Training (PRT) concept. A draft PRT manual in support of the Objective/Future Force Soldier was completed. This doctrinal paradigm shifted from training in preparation for the APFT to training to enhance the physical performance of Soldier combat tasks. In 2002, a Draft FM was ready for staffing, but delayed and tabled as a "Futures Initiative" by TRADOC AAC. During 2002-2003, USAPFS provided technical assistance during the staffing of AR 600-9, the Army Weight Control Program. In November of 2003, TRADOC AAC formally assumed command and control of PFS. The school maintains its total-Army mission.
In 2006, the USAPFS was re-designated as the Physical Fitness Division (PFD) under the Directorate, Basic Combat Training, Fort Jackson, SC. PFD maintains its total-Army mission.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:53 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
You're right I wasn't an MFT for almost 15 years, after computing the dates I was an MFT for 13 years, 7 months and 8 days, until I retired in 2008.

Here's a copy of the certificate:

Last edited by Balad1; 06-08-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 03:03 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
fyi- proper form of a sit-up requires you NOT to use your neck, but I guess you already knew that

The military PT test does show overall fitness level and is not the end all of know all of how fit you are. Of course you do other exercises than those done during the test to stay in shape, but those 3 (pushups, sit ups and run for Army) shows overall how well your upper, lower & mid section and overall body is. If you cant pass a pt test, your ass is out of shape
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Way to go....good for you...

The entire army physcial fitness program is a joke....I do not care what unit you are in...it is up to the individual...like everything else, I did not get into the shape I was in becasue of the Army PT program....it was becasue I went to the gym every night....and sometimes AFTER PT I would go to the gym...

Your right....I made it a joke because the entire progam is a joke...

SO what your saying is...because I could do 100 push ups, 90 something set ups...and run 2 mile in 13 minutes....that is a good factor that I'm in shape....

No that means I have trained my muscles in JUST those cases...push up set up and run does NOT train your entire body...ask anyone that the sit up can hurt you...why becasue you are pulling on your neck...

Again...better exercises are out there that can atain a better level of performance quicker...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues