Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I was issued an M 14 while in the Marine Corps during the earliest phases of the Vietnam War. It did have a lot of recoil. We used the M 1 Garand in infantry training. At any rate I swear I have seen several photos of US troops if Afghanistan using the M 14 ?

I've seen rangers with them....maybe even some of the SF guys have them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
The current ARMY is full of R.E.M.F's. and Pogues

One of the dumbest comments I've ever heard....

Yea, I know....come on and blast away now....

Your the coolest, we all know it becasue you will tell us, right....

Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
One of the dumbest comments I've ever heard....

Yea, I know....come on and blast away now....

Your the coolest, we all know it becasue you will tell us, right....
I agree.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:22 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
The M-4 is sure easier to lug around than an M-14 all day while hiking up and down mountains. It's a trade off for sure, but a calculated one.

I thought the Scar 17 might narrow the gap but I've never shot one... Anyone here used it?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:59 PM

Just give everyone of these and be done with it...

Cheytac LLC - The Leader in Extreme Long Range Precision Rifle Systems

2200 yard MOA.....

Old 05-24-2010, 02:23 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
I was issued an M 14 while in the Marine Corps during the earliest phases of the Vietnam War. It did have a lot of recoil. We used the M 1 Garand in infantry training. At any rate I swear I have seen several photos of US troops if Afghanistan using the M 14 ?
Indeed, when they can be had they are fast scooped up. Personally, I feel the Springfield SOCOM and Scout Squad should be widely issued to forward troops. The M4 is great for tankers, and is just dandy for special uses at CQB distances in an urban setting, but the good ol' M1A/M14 design has a LOT going for it, top of the list being it's cartrige. I'm not a fan of the M14 on full auto, but there is no need for it to have to be used thus anyway. To quote an old WW2 slogan..."They got the GUTS...give em' the FIREPOWER.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:04 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:

The M14 is known as the DMR (desigmated marksman rifle) and there will often be a designated marksman in a platoon in the Marine Corps. That said, it is being phased out in favor of the EMR/M39. Of course they all descened from the M1 Garand.

United States Marine Corps Designated Marksman Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M39 Enhanced Marksman Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2010, 04:02 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Just my opinion, but have never been a fan of the 5.56mm. Using a .22 cartridge more suitable for hunting varmints has never seemed like a good idea. There seems to be growing support for the 6.8mm Remington SPC. Hits much harder than the 5.56, harder than the Rusky AK, not as hard or as much recoil as the .308. Several US makers such as Barrett are chambering for it. The Jordanians like it so much that KADDB is making rifles and carbines for their army. As for Afghanistan, those Remington 700 .308 bolt action sniper rifles would sure be able to reach out and touch a terrorist and do the job. Heck, if there are still any around, a hundred year old bolt action Springfield chambered for the venerable .30-06 would do just fine for keeping the bad guys in heads down mode at long distances.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
FOXNews.com - U.S. Military Reconsiders Army's Use of M4 Rifles in Afghanistan
The U.S. military is re-evaluating the Army’s use of the M4 rifle in Afghanistan following concerns that the Taliban’s primitive AK-47’s are proving more effective.
The M4 is an updated version of the M16, which was designed for close quarters combat in Vietnam. But while the weapon is better suited for the kind of urban warfare common in Iraq, some have questioned whether it is deadly and accurate for Afghanistan – where U.S. troops often find themselves in long-range combat.
An Army study found that the 5.56mm bullets fired from the M4s don’t retain enough velocity past 1,000 feet to kill an enemy. In Afghanistan, forces are often up to 2,500 feet apart.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
^^^^^^^^^^^
There is a need for those weapons, but I don't think it outstrips the versatility of the M16/M4 and the logistics behind switching everything to rifle with a different round. The Army could try the Marine tactic of embedding snipers or designated marksman in infantry platoons with the higher caliber rifles (M40,M14, and M39). In addition to heavy use of close air support, indirect, and direct fire.

Marine Makes Insurgents Pay the Price

Quote:
During the battle, the designated marksman single handedly thwarted a company-sized enemy RPG and machinegun ambush by reportedly killing 20 enemy fighters with his devastatingly accurate precision fire. He selflessly exposed himself time and again to intense enemy fire during a critical point in the eight-hour battle for Shewan in order to kill any enemy combatants who attempted to engage or maneuver on the Marines in the kill zone. What made his actions even more impressive was the fact that he didn’t miss any shots, despite the enemies’ rounds impacting within a foot of his fighting position.
Quote:
After calling for close-air support, the small group of Marines pushed forward and broke the enemies’ spirit as many of them dropped their weapons and fled the battlefield.
Elite U.S. Marines Chase Taliban Snipers - CBS News

Quote:
Throughout Thursday, U.S. Marines pummeled insurgents with mortars, sniper fire and missiles as gun battles intensified.

edit: just saw that's exactly what the Army is doing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues