Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,845,374 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a community-college student who wants to transfer to a university but my current grades may not allow for it.

If I join the Navy will they allow me to earn an associates degree and transfer after serving or will I just be capable of earning credits which I can use to further complete an education at another community college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,016,839 times
I'm afraid I don't fully understand your question.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:53 AM

I'll rephrase it:

If I join the US Navy, can I earn an associates degree and then transfer OR will I just be capable of earning college credits and then have to take community college classes.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 AM

The Navy is not a college or university.

Not that you can't earn a degree from a private/public college while serving. Most bases have an education center where local colleges offer courses (or online).

Of course this all is secondary to your Navy career.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 AM

5,038 posts, read 6,314,172 times
I think I understand the question...

Many rates (?) (I know them as MOSes-Military Occupational Specialties-for the Army) come with a technical school to prepare you for duty. So you'd go learn satellites, plane repair, electrical work, whatever your job is.

The technical school is often accepted for some lower-division credit at colleges.

*VERY FEW* technical schools, at least in the Army, give you enough credit for a full associates degree. As Balad said, your purpose is not to be a student while in service-it's to do your job in support of the mission, the credits are a little bonus and not the reason for being there.

When you are done, you take your record, give it to the college, and have them evaluate your record for credit.

You won't get grades for the military school. It will be added to your college transcript with a 'P' for pass and won't nudge your GPA up or down.

Example: I went from a combat arms MOS to a state university. I got 2 lower-division credits for physical fitness, and 1 for first aid. That's it. All the rest I either took as a separate class from a college *while* on active duty, in off time, or had to take at the college after I got out.

Is that clearer?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,402,665 times
Some technical ratings count as college credit depending on the university. Ratings like nuclear, computer, electronic tech, electricians, and other engineering ratings can get some credit. I'm not sure about other ratings. However, when on a ship, it is possible to take some college courses. We had some instructors on board doing a few hours of instruction for classes. These were generally basic college Freshmen classes. You can only take these classes either in your free time or with your division's permission if it's during your duty hours. If you're on shore duty then you can easily take night classes.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 AM

Suppose I've earned plenty college credits already while attending community college three years before joining the Navy.

Then let's suppose I do join the Navy, pass all their background checks, boot camp, & then obtain a career in the Navy.

Will it be possible, at all, to earn an associates degree within the Navy while I serve my four years of service?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 AM

You can earn any degree you want in your spare time in the military. It all depends on how motivated and dedicated you are.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 AM

541 posts, read 2,133,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
You can earn any degree you want in your spare time in the military. It all depends on how motivated and dedicated you are.
Exactly! My husband earned is Associates Degree and is currently working on his BA, all while on Active Duty...

Old 05-24-2010, 11:59 AM

46,189 posts, read 26,866,939 times
The Navy will not give you a degree because of the credits you have. To get a degree with those credits....that will have to be up to the college that you decide to go with...

Those credits MAY go towards a degree, but again...it would be up to the college of your choice....

Many people recieve degrees while in the military...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues