U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 AM

302 posts, read 1,042,865 times

Advertisements

Well before I begin, a little background info. Graduated in December with a double major in Security and Intelligence and German, and have not been able to get a job. So because of that I've brought up the military option again. I've done my research, talked with people, etc and think that the Army or Navy would be my best bet. I'd be obviously applying for OCS, and would want to get a MOS in Intel. I have not talked with any recruiters yet since I'm still doing my research and I'm still waiting to see what happens with some local/federal jobs. I would appreciate any comments on their experiences or opinions. It would be quite helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,736,807 times
I would be talking to the recruiters now. There is no use wasting your time and energy with a paticular service if they won' take you due to quotas, etc.

PS: Recruiters are flush with recruits with degrees and they're not going to twist your arm.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 AM

4,246 posts, read 5,565,704 times
Army info only-Navy info is different and I have no idea how they work.

Becoming an officer is not always a guarantee because of a degree. You *may* be given an *opportunity* to attend OCS, if there's a slot and the timing is right, if you're physically fit, if your grades are good, can get a security clearance, etc.. There are 3 ways to become an officer:
-USMA...if you have a degree, you're too old.
-ROTC...takes at LEAST 2 years, while you are in college, as a (hefty) elective, with some additional leadership lab time and special activities (e.g., Leader Training Course over summer). Probably too late.
-OCS...14 gut-crunching weeks at Ft. Benning. Very tough, and you have to be pretty qualified. Following OCS, branch technical training at your proponent school...say, 14-18 weeks. Branch school much, much easier than OCS.

There are two ways to become a warrant officer:
-Aviation...Warrant Officer Candidate Course (similar to OCS...expect attrition), followed by flight school. You CAN go straight from high school or college into this, but you're fighting a huge crowd trying to do this.
-Technical...enlist in a "feeder" specialty and apply once you have a few years of enlisted experience. Sometimes, even if you enlist in the right specialty, you just don't get lucky enough to go into the kind of work that you need to go from feeder to warrant...e.g., you can be a 92Y (Supply) for years and work in unit supply rooms and be the best supply sergeant ever, but unless you go to a Property Book Team, you won't get picked up for Property Accountability Technician (a type of supply warrant officer). WOCC, followed by branch technical training-again, easier than WOCC.

There are Military Intelligence warrants. Have to get the right MOS, get the right kind of duty, and do your enlisted time to start there.

There are officer basic branch Military Intelligence, all ranks.

It CAN be done. Be prepared, though. Army Intelligence doesn't appear, from the outside, to be anything like what people wish it was. It's very boring staff work. If you like physical security, Military Police may be a better choice.

One possibility, since you have a demonstrated propensity for language: do 4-7 years as a commissioned officer in a "basic" branch after OCS (Infantry, Quartermaster, Chemical, MP, etc.), get great evaluations, you may have the opportunity to become a "FAO" (Foreign Area Officer"...that comes with 6-18 months of language school, a graduate degree (funded by the Army), 12-18 months, and a year of "in-country" training followed by repetitive assignments in the area your language is located at and/or usually DC. You leave your basic branch to specialize in cultural/regional expertise. If you're willing to be a FAO in subsaharan Africa or the Middle East, you have a lot better shot at this program. There's a whole pile of officers who speak Italian, German, and French wanting to get the 3-5 (total) slots in France, Germany, and Italy FAO, but not many are knocking down the door to live in Tanzania or Pakistan.

Hope that helps. Sea dudes want to chime in on your service?

Old 05-26-2010, 07:25 AM

14,089 posts, read 26,201,165 times
Don't know enough about OCS or intel to give good advice on Navy. Will tell you that just because you join the Navy doesn't necessarily mean you automatically go on a ship. There are many people who've served their entire enlistment and never set foot on a ship except to visit. Intel could serve on either shore or on ship.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM

26,530 posts, read 47,366,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
Well before I begin, a little background info. Graduated in December with a double major in Security and Intelligence and German, and have not been able to get a job. So because of that I've brought up the military option again. I've done my research, talked with people, etc and think that the Army or Navy would be my best bet. I'd be obviously applying for OCS, and would want to get a MOS in Intel. I have not talked with any recruiters yet since I'm still doing my research and I'm still waiting to see what happens with some local/federal jobs. I would appreciate any comments on their experiences or opinions. It would be quite helpful.
I am retired Army and served active duty in the Intel field 18 of my 22 years and then 10 years as a civilian. I still do some consulting, but the 1,900 mile commute is killing me...

If you get into Army OCS you may not get the MOS you want. Commisioned officers typically have "dual track" careers. Not sure if that program is still used. I have worked with all the services. It depends on what type of Intel you are seeking. Some of the Navy Intel service MOS's are all civilians. If you are considering Intel, also consider the Marine Corps for a possibly exciting career and you might as well try the Air Force also.

German? As in a German linguist?

There are also some civilian Federal Service jobs in the US Intel field. Some require past military experience, check USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site .

"GeorgiaTransplant" seems to have done an excellent job of describing the Army side.

Rich

Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 AM

3,533 posts, read 11,456,052 times
Talk to recruiters now... get the info. If it's going to take a year, you'll need to figure out what to do while you're waiting. Just talking to a recruiter to get the info can't hurt! They have more updated info than the internet!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Thanks all. I know OCS is not a sure thing hence why i said apply. Makes no sense not to if you can make it. I know mos is not a sure thing either and not what its hyped up to be. Might as well try though. As for linguist or applying to fed jobs, done that since dec. and no luck. They dont want college grads, just vets who probably have degrees. And i know the process is long, i just want to know my stuff before going in there.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM

26,530 posts, read 47,366,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
or applying to fed jobs, done that since dec. and no luck. They dont want college grads, just vets who probably have degrees.
1. The Federal government want's college graduates, one trick is to first get into the system, then work to get into the field you want.

2. The Federal government does give a 4 point veterans preference when seeking a job, one trick is to first get into the system, then work to get into the field you want.

3. My wife was hired as a Part-Time GS employee in Baltimore, MD with the Social Security Administration over 20 years ago. Although a part-time job, she started working 60 hours per week. One trick she learned was that you generally have better odds if you first get into the system, then work to get into the field you want. She has enjoyed several Federal positions, with promotions and government moves (That's how we got to New Mexico, we wanted it, she transferred, your tax dollars paid the bill).

Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,736,807 times
Another option I would look into is joining a Military Intelligence unit in the Army National Guard or Army Reserves. You would get the same training and security clearances as in the regular Army.

I knew people in a National Guard unit in Greenbelt Maryland and with their training and TS clearances they were flush with job offers. No less they were able to network with others in the unit who were already employed by the various intelligence agencies.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Ya, I've heard of try to get into the system and proceed from there. I've done tons of apps. so far from the areas I want(intel/le) to just getting into the system jobs-office work,etc. Really no luck so far, but I'm still applying and hoping.

I debated reserves vs. active path and after alot of responses I got from current officers, they said to go active(even ones who were current reserves). I guess there is pluses and minuses to both paths, but as of now since even the part time job market by me is crap, I might as well go into active duty. Get more hand on experience of doing a job, better morale(from what I've been told), and there is a decent chance of being called up anyways for active, so might as well go that route from the beginning.

I'm suprised about the job offers just for reserves. I guess since you said "knew" them it would not be possible to ask them how long into their reserve service they started getting offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues