Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 PM

358 posts, read 450,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
Although I'm a little surprised that Harley Davidson hasn't tried to open up a restaurant downtown seeing as how they can't ***** their brand out quick enough these days.
There is a Harley-Davidson restaurant right across from the HD Museum, and they've been trying to promote it.

I'm not sure if that's considered downtown... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee View Post
There is a Harley-Davidson restaurant right across from the HD Museum, and they've been trying to promote it.

I'm not sure if that's considered downtown... ?
Nope. That's Walker's Point, Near South Side.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:07 PM

146 posts, read 343,152 times
I really don't think you can compare Milwaukee to Denver; sure, it is about the same population, but that is where the similarities end.

Firstly; Denver is THE only significant city in that part of the Nation. There isn't an economic behemoth sitting ninety or so miles from it. I've always felt that Chicago has always done more to take away from Milwaukee's business than anything else.

I am not saying that out of sour grapes or a dislike of Chicago, but the sheer size of Chicago is a draw in and of itself. Plus now, I think Chicago has done a lot more to build a business friendly climate than has Milwaukee.

Secondly; Denver has the tourist factor. Those mountains and that climate are an attraction in and of itself. Just how many people per year make their way thru the city to get into those hills?

There is just no way to compete with that. That is a lot of people, and money that are thrust into the Denver economy. Never mind the fact that the city of Denver has a far more business friendly climate than we do.

Besides, why go downtown when the Third Ward is right there?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGavin View Post
I really don't think you can compare Milwaukee to Denver; sure, it is about the same population, but that is where the similarities end.

Firstly; Denver is THE only significant city in that part of the Nation. There isn't an economic behemoth sitting ninety or so miles from it. I've always felt that Chicago has always done more to take away from Milwaukee's business than anything else.

I am not saying that out of sour grapes or a dislike of Chicago, but the sheer size of Chicago is a draw in and of itself. Plus now, I think Chicago has done a lot more to build a business friendly climate than has Milwaukee.

Secondly; Denver has the tourist factor. Those mountains and that climate are an attraction in and of itself. Just how many people per year make their way thru the city to get into those hills?

There is just no way to compete with that. That is a lot of people, and money that are thrust into the Denver economy. Never mind the fact that the city of Denver has a far more business friendly climate than we do.

Besides, why go downtown when the Third Ward is right there?
That still ignores the multitude of other cities in our own backyard, cities like Minneapolis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Kansas City, who all have better downtowns than Milwaukee. Hell, I'll even go out on a limb and say that Madison and St. Paul have better downtowns than Milwaukee. If we want to stay competitive and relevant as a city, then we need to step it up in this dept. Otherwise, we're better off as a bedroom community for Chicago.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:43 PM

358 posts, read 450,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
That still ignores the multitude of other cities in our own backyard, cities like Minneapolis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Kansas City, who all have better downtowns than Milwaukee.
I highly disagree! Milwaukee's downtown is way better than St. Louis.

Minneapolis and Indy - about the same.

I haven't been to KC or Cleveland to make a comparison.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee View Post
I highly disagree! Milwaukee's downtown is way better than St. Louis.

Minneapolis and Indy - about the same.

I haven't been to KC or Cleveland to make a comparison.
You've got to be kidding me. Minneapolis and Indianapolis are leagues ahead of Milwaukee as far as downtown is concerned. Cleveland, KC, and STL are marginally better, but still better nonetheless.
(http://www.downtownmpls.com/section/shopping - broken link)

Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
You've got to be kidding me. Minneapolis and Indianapolis are leagues ahead of Milwaukee as far as downtown is concerned. Cleveland, KC, and STL are marginally better, but still better nonetheless.
(http://www.downtownmpls.com/section/shopping - broken link)
I don't know based upon my two trips to Indy all in the last 3 years, I am not impressed. The town as a whole felt small to me.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
That still ignores the multitude of other cities in our own backyard, cities like Minneapolis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Kansas City, who all have better downtowns than Milwaukee. Hell, I'll even go out on a limb and say that Madison and St. Paul have better downtowns than Milwaukee. If we want to stay competitive and relevant as a city, then we need to step it up in this dept. Otherwise, we're better off as a bedroom community for Chicago.
I agree with you. I don't know if Kansas City has a better downtown than does Milwaukee, but the others most certainly do. I was honestly very surprised with Cleveland when I caught the UW/Bowling Green game there a couple of years ago; it was a fun enough time that I went back the following year for an Indians series.

We may have already missed a great opportunity, and that is with our stadium. I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me, but I still think Miller Park, downtown would have electrified the area.
I don't know how long you lived in Denver, but I am very familiar with the city. The area where Coors Field stands is a prime example of a stadium bringing life to a destitute area. I know Coors Field is technically not "downtown", but it is only blocks.

Cleveland has two stadiums downtown, as does Minneapolis. I would add Indy, but I don't know where Lucas Stadium is now. I do know that their downtown is centered around the RCA Dome, and that business is booming for conventions in it.

I guess the question is, why Milwaukee, when Chicago is so close by? We know many answers to that, but how do we get that out there? It takes conventions, and baseball, and a business friendly environment that keeps Harley here, along with Masterlock, Midwest, and Miller Beer's headquarters.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 AM

402 posts, read 976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGavin View Post
I agree with you. I don't know if Kansas City has a better downtown than does Milwaukee, but the others most certainly do. I was honestly very surprised with Cleveland when I caught the UW/Bowling Green game there a couple of years ago; it was a fun enough time that I went back the following year for an Indians series.

We may have already missed a great opportunity, and that is with our stadium. I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me, but I still think Miller Park, downtown would have electrified the area.
I don't know how long you lived in Denver, but I am very familiar with the city. The area where Coors Field stands is a prime example of a stadium bringing life to a destitute area. I know Coors Field is technically not "downtown", but it is only blocks.

Cleveland has two stadiums downtown, as does Minneapolis. I would add Indy, but I don't know where Lucas Stadium is now. I do know that their downtown is centered around the RCA Dome, and that business is booming for conventions in it.

I guess the question is, why Milwaukee, when Chicago is so close by? We know many answers to that, but how do we get that out there? It takes conventions, and baseball, and a business friendly environment that keeps Harley here, along with Masterlock, Midwest, and Miller Beer's headquarters.

Miller Coors is actually headquartered in Chicago. The Miller plant here is however the original location.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
Miller Coors is actually headquartered in Chicago. The Miller plant here is however the original location.
I might have worded that poorly, but that is what I actually meant.

Last edited by TommyGavin; 07-08-2010 at 07:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee