Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 03:17 PM

55 posts, read 162,729 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking at Milwaukee as a potential home and wondering if it has all the big city cultural amenities to satisfy me.

I'm vegetarian and love eating out. Is Milwaukee's cuisine scene veg friendly? Is there an abundance of authentic ethnic restaurants?

Are there any independent movie theatres?

Does Milwaukee go to sleep at midnight or are there places to have a drink or grab a bite to eat in the wee small hours of the morning?

Any areas offering a selection of record stores and consignment shops?

How walkable, bikeable is Milwaukee?

Is it possible to find an affordab le aparment in the city within walking distance to local grocery stores and cafes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 03:59 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwiche View Post
I'm vegetarian and love eating out. Is Milwaukee's cuisine scene veg friendly? Is there an abundance of authentic ethnic restaurants?
While that's definitely not our specialty, there are several restaurants that serve vegetarian and vegan fare.

Beans and Barley, Hotch-A-Do, Palomino, Comet, Riverwest Co-op, Fuel, Roots, and West Bank Cafe are a few that immediately come to mind.

Quote:
Are there any independent movie theatres?
Yes. There's the Oriental and the Downer, both located on the East Side.

Quote:
Does Milwaukee go to sleep at midnight or are there places to have a drink or grab a bite to eat in the wee small hours of the morning?
Is there a place to grab a drink in Milwaukee?

They don't call us the Nation's Watering Hole for nothing.

There's tons of restaurants that stay open late like Real Chilli, Chopstix, George Webb, Dogg Haus, Hop Sheng, Oakland Gyros, Jalisco, Ma Fischer's, Brick 3 Pizza, StreetZa, etc.

Quote:
Any areas offering a selection of record stores and consignment shops?
That one I'm not too sure of. Most of the DJ's I know use Serato now. There's Exclusive Company on Farwell, otherwise IDK.

Quote:
How walkable, bikeable is Milwaukee?
Milwaukee is very walkable and bikeable IMO. Most of our neighborhoods exceed 10,000 people per square mile.

Quote:
Is it possible to find an affordable aparment in the city within walking distance to local grocery stores and cafes?
Very. Whether you're on the East Side, Riverwest, or Bay View, you're never more than a couple blocks from a grocery store, coffee shop, or bar.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 PM

33 posts, read 63,057 times
As far as record stores, The Exclusive Company is the last of the "big" independently owned record stores in Milwaukee (Peaches, 1812 Overture, Atomic, etc), but there's plenty of smaller ones that survive mainly on word of mouth. My favorite is Bullseye Records on the Eastside, which I found by literally stumbling into it one day.

Anyway, you sound like you'd fit right in on the Eastside/Riverwest or in Bay View. I'd suggest the Third Ward too, but you might have a hard time finding something "affordable" there nowadays.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 AM

402 posts, read 976,612 times
I'd opt for the eastside myself, but I live here and may be biased. Consignment shops for clothes etc., I believe there are a few on Brady Street, but I can't speak for Bay view or Third ward.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM

319 posts, read 634,445 times
KK between Russell and Potter have a nice stretch of record stores (Rushmor), fashion type places (Luv Unlimited), places to eat/drink (Honey Pie, Hue) and coffe shops (Svens, Hi-Fi). Plus it's only a couple of blocks from there to a bunch of other bars/restaurants/coffee shops.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM

117 posts, read 367,747 times
I am also vegetarian and like dining out. I don't think you would have any problem finding places to eat here. So far I've tried Palomino (a bar that serves vegetarian and vegan fare that is really good) and Bombay Sweets (all-vegetarian Indian food that is also extremely inexpensive). There are numerous other vegetarian and ethnic cuisine options here that I just haven't had the time to get to yet.

I would also add that there are some good farmer markets in the area (check out the West Allis farmer market). We also have stores like Whole Foods here. Then there's the Outpost Natural Foods Co-Op, which is a nice veggie-friendly option too.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 PM

57 posts, read 209,570 times
Since you mentioned cultural amenities, I will comment briefly on the visual and performing arts scene. First you always have to keep in mind that being so close to Chicago has its advantages and disadvantages.

Milwaukee has many professional theatre companies --the number varies from season to season as some of the smaller companies struggle for survival. There is an excellent Repertory theatre built in the old power company located along the Milwaukee River. The Milwaukee Symphony has a full season as well. The Milwaukee Art Museum, located along the shores of Lake Michigan is now known for its exciting architecture, with the addition designed by Santiago Calatrava, with a collection of around 20,000 objects from the earliest periods to current art. In addition, the Milwaukee Public Museum, at the other end of Wisconsin Avenue, is a museum of human and natural history, and also has traveling exhibits. There are art galleries scattered through a number of areas in the city, and there is a fairly vibrant community of artists.

When you tire of what Milwaukee has to offer, Chicago is 90 miles away...but increasingly, we have Chicagoans coming to Milwaukee to enjoy some of our cultural venues as they have easier access and are less expensive.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudelle View Post
Chicago is 90 miles away...
Keep in mind this is downtown Milwaukee to downtown Chicago. Milwaukee city limits to Chicago city limits is only 64 miles and Caledonia to state line is 20miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee