Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 PM

33 posts, read 144,619 times

Advertisements

I saw an ad on TV for "Take Root Milwaukee," so I went online just to see what it was about. There are some forgivable loans one can get to purchase and fix up some run-down properties. What's the catch? Your income needs to be below a certain level.

Seems interesting, but I don't think they are taking the right approach. They want to improve the area and make things better, but then they limit it so that no wealth can come into the city.

Sure someone with money can just move into the city and buy a house themselves, but I don't think that is really happening. If anything, it seems that once someone gets enough wealth, they move out/away from the city. Perhaps if this program didn't only allow low-income people to get some incentives, some money would come into the city instead of the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 26,378 times
You make a very good point, I dont know why they just dont give the incentive to everyone high or low income

Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
My guess is, the program is about keeping slumlords from outside the area or the city, from buying up whole city blocks, collecting subsidies for each property, then repeating the entire drug house/foreclosure/abandoned property problem all over again in another decade, maybe a couple of decades.

I might consider buying up a bunch of distressed properties and getting money to do it. Sounds like a good incentive. But I can't. That's probably the object; I don't even live in Milwaukee most of the year.

It is fairly intelligent to attempt to sell local income properties to people who already own homes in the neighborhood. Regardless of city neighborhoods, if a homeowner owns and lives in a home, they probably have more of an interest in the immediate neighborhood than some rich guy from Bayside, who may have paid cash for properties, collected all of the government money, and could care less about who his tenants are, or what type of drugs they sell to pay the rent.

Still, it's another program that is brought to you by your elected officials, which distributes your money in such a way that you can't get any of it back. From the viewpoint of those who can take advantage of it, it's probably a great opportunity.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
This group is acorn the troubled organization that was all over the news not too long ago for running a criminal enterprise. I'll stick to saving up for a down payment and 0 debt when I buy a house, even if it is a little later in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee