Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 07:24 PM

33 posts, read 63,061 times

Advertisements

Racist arrest sparks struggle | Fight Back! – News and Views from the People's Struggle

...and people wonder why I'm so hard on the suburbs. Really Shorewood, this is the best way you can think to use your ridiculously inflated police force?

I tried to find a more "mainstream" report, but as usual, the trashy local media is characteristically lax when it comes to an actual news story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 03:23 PM

196 posts, read 474,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnik View Post
Racist arrest sparks struggle | Fight Back! – News and Views from the People's Struggle

...and people wonder why I'm so hard on the suburbs. Really Shorewood, this is the best way you can think to use your ridiculously inflated police force?

I tried to find a more "mainstream" report, but as usual, the trashy local media is characteristically lax when it comes to an actual news story.
What the heck?! Is that story for real? That has to be one of thee most SILLIEST injustices I've ever heard. I'm just sitting here wondering what kind of clowns are working for Shorewood's law enforcement? Nevermind the local media; I say we embark on getting that gross story national attention and show these punks abusing their power a thing or two; make a mockery of that entire area before the entire nation. This kid's just lucky Shorewood law enforcement didn't catch him failing to chew his food fifty times otherwise they'd have him preparing for the chair right about now. In all seriousness though, I'd really like to get involved with that actually and help out and think I just may!

Btw, Solas, as usual, your overflowing consideration for others manifests itself and marvels me. Thank goodness for people like you. Can't thank you enough for going out of your way to share a story like that.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 07-18-2010 at 03:33 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 PM

33 posts, read 63,061 times
Flatterer!

There's actually a rally at the Shorewood Village Hall on Tuesday @ 4:30pm. There's already 300+ "yes" confirmations on the facebook page:

//www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/event.php?eid=132587310110953&index=1

Old 07-18-2010, 06:20 PM

448 posts, read 1,820,442 times
Odd "story" with more questions than answers. I cringe for the day when "citizen journalism" becomes the norm and we have more "stories" like this which tell nothing. Maybe there was a racial injustice but most likely there is more to this story than what was written which probably wouldn't show the kid in a good light.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 PM

402 posts, read 976,715 times
Entire story seemed rather strange. Why would a cafeteria worker accuse the kid of stealing them if someone else gave them to him... Something is missing.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Odd "story" with more questions than answers. I cringe for the day when "citizen journalism" becomes the norm and we have more "stories" like this which tell nothing. Maybe there was a racial injustice but most likely there is more to this story than what was written which probably wouldn't show the kid in a good light.
Well, you're right; there is more to the story because according to a more in-depth source, the treatment of this student is actually WORSE (as shown here http://themilwaukeedrum.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/fighting-the-school-to-prison-pipeline-in-shorewood/ ). IT GETS WORSE, NUCLEAR ART: apparently no one even looked into this situation or asked the accused ANY questions AT ALL before serious actions were taken. Principal heard the kid took a few nuggets (YES! TOOK A FEW NUGGETS) and without looking into the situation or confronting this student with "no prior criminal history or Shorewood School District disciplinary history", decided to call the cops on him JUST LIKE THAT once he heard about the incident. That led to the police force coming directly up to the school and arresting this 15 year old boy. The reason there are so many unanswered questions and it's such an odd story is because the one black student in the school wasn't given a chance to explain himself before cops were called and the student was arrested. If the police had a legitimate cause for arrest and the student had actually done something worthy of reproach, I have a strong hunch (JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER CRIMINAL STORIES THAT DON'T PUT BLACKS IN A "GOOD LIGHT") it be all over the evening news and it's not; however, it wouldn't be all over any news outlets if certain people weren't trying to keep it under the radar because "it may not show the [COPS] and Shorewood in a good light". Now is it registering with you or shall I explain it in simpler terms so you get it?

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 07-18-2010 at 09:05 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
Entire story seemed rather strange. Why would a cafeteria worker accuse the kid of stealing them if someone else gave them to him... Something is missing.
Course' it seemed "strange" otherwise people wouldn't be outraged by it. It seems strange because it is strange. Who knows why the cafeteria worker or this kid with no prior bad behavior did anything when the principal decided to skip over looking into the situation in favor of immediately calling the cops on that one black student. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 07-18-2010 at 09:01 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnik View Post
Flatterer!

There's actually a rally at the Shorewood Village Hall on Tuesday @ 4:30pm. There's already 300+ "yes" confirmations on the facebook page:

//www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/event.php?eid=132587310110953&index=1
I'm quickly learning that people like you are truly one of a kind. Ugh! I know you're white and I know what you're surrounded by so I'm beginning to appreciate people like you more and more. Wasn't sure I was really going to get involved in this ridiculous story as I thought it be an open-and-shut case but having heard this nonsense and how there are types willing to defend this nonsense, I'll be there rallying. Thank you!

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 07-18-2010 at 09:02 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 AM

402 posts, read 976,715 times
I can hardly wait to see the outcome. Even thought the school administrator notified the police, now he says it is between the police and the boy and not the school? Over some lousy chicken nuggets? Police should have never even been involved. People need to get a grip. BTW AH09 - he did not take nuggets - he went for some sauce for the nuggets his friend gave him. This is ALL about THE SAUCE! I cannot recall anything so ridiculous. Reads like an episode from Seinfeld or House of Payne.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 AM

448 posts, read 1,820,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHistory09 View Post
Well, you're right; there is more to the story because according to a more in-depth source, the treatment of this student is actually WORSE (as shown here http://themilwaukeedrum.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/fighting-the-school-to-prison-pipeline-in-shorewood/ ). IT GETS WORSE, NUCLEAR ART: apparently no one even looked into this situation or asked the accused ANY questions AT ALL before serious actions were taken. Principal heard the kid took a few nuggets (YES! TOOK A FEW NUGGETS) and without looking into the situation or confronting this student with "no prior criminal history or Shorewood School District disciplinary history", decided to call the cops on him JUST LIKE THAT once he heard about the incident. That led to the police force coming directly up to the school and arresting this 15 year old boy. The reason there are so many unanswered questions and it's such an odd story is because the one black student in the school wasn't given a chance to explain himself before cops were called and the student was arrested. If the police had a legitimate cause for arrest and the student had actually done something worthy of reproach, I have a strong hunch (JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER CRIMINAL STORIES THAT DON'T PUT BLACKS IN A "GOOD LIGHT") it be all over the evening news and it's not; however, it wouldn't be all over any news outlets if certain people weren't trying to keep it under the radar because "it may not show the [COPS] and Shorewood in a good light". Now is it registering with you or shall I explain it in simpler terms so you get it?
Why wasn't that printed in the "story"? The foundation of journalism is the Five W's. If you fail to provide those then the article is useless. Of course, even your added information doesn't explain anything about racism. Stuff like this could have easily happened to a goth, skater, or whatever subculture you like to identify with. It wouldn't have been any less appalling if it happened to anyone and it does, daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee