Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:02 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

After 107 years in Milwaukee, Harley could leave - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100804/ap_on_bi_ge/us_harley_milwaukee_breakup - broken link)

I heard that Harley-Davidson is considering leaving Milwaukee. Milwaukee has lost enough jobs already since the 1970s. It's part of my heritage in an indirect way: My father was employed by Harley-Davidson. Bad enough that the beer factories have been leaving. Now the motorcycles. I might not ride a motorcycle, but it is disturbing to see my father's home town have bad stuff like this happen to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
After 107 years in Milwaukee, Harley could leave - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100804/ap_on_bi_ge/us_harley_milwaukee_breakup - broken link)

I heard that Harley-Davidson is considering leaving Milwaukee. Milwaukee has lost enough jobs already since the 1970s. It's part of my heritage in an indirect way: My father was employed by Harley-Davidson. Bad enough that the beer factories have been leaving. Now the motorcycles. I might not ride a motorcycle, but it is disturbing to see my father's home town have bad stuff like this happen to it.

Harley tipped its hand in a press release today when it said it was, 'Open to incentives' to stay.

I don't know if you heard about Mercury Marine and what happened in Fond Du Lac, but it was the same type of deal:

Low wage/skill state (in that case Oklahoma) was gonna pay some serious cash for Mercury Marine to relocate to Stillwater if they didn't get serious concessions/tax breaks.

After a lot of drama, Mercury Marine stayed in Fond Du Lac, but only because the state gave them serious cash, and the workers in essence took a 30% pay cut.

Stillwater, OK, peed and moaned, but they'd also been played by a corporation that was out to make as much money as it could.

Now, Harley's doing the same thing.

I am a little more sympathetic to Harley, though. Their problem is two-fold:

First their demographic- working-class males in their 40's-50's- is going downhill very rapidly, as to ability to buy the product.

Secondly, the Clinton and Bush Admins had worked with overseas governments (mostly Japan) to allow tariffs on Harleys (since we have no tariffs on the stuff they sell here) to be lowered. They suceeded, and Harley thought they had a new market, as the Japanese really dig US choppers.

Then we learned how 'free' trade really operates:
The Japanese did lower their tariffs against US cycles.

However, they proceeded to institute a new tax on imported cycles, based on the decibles the engines produce.

And guess whose cycles produce exactly the same decible level that the new Japanese tax targeted?

That's right..............

Old 08-04-2010, 03:47 PM

Still, the economy has been going bad for a while. More jobs leaving is the last thing anyone needs.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:22 PM

We're in a Depression- entire country that is.

But having said that, Wisconsin's unemployment rate is better than most.

But still not good.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Still, the economy has been going bad for a while. More jobs leaving is the last thing anyone needs.

Just checked the official stats. Milwaukee is doing better (unemployment-wise) than are a number of sunbelt cities- including Atlanta.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Just checked the official stats. Milwaukee is doing better (unemployment-wise) than are a number of sunbelt cities- including Atlanta.
Maybe so. Atlanta has lost so many jobs since the recession hit. As soon as I get a chance, I want to leave. On the other hand, Milwaukee losing jobs is blow to the city.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe so. Atlanta has lost so many jobs since the recession hit. As soon as I get a chance, I want to leave. On the other hand, Milwaukee losing jobs is blow to the city.
Not sure why losing more jobs in Atlanta (vis-a-vis Milwaukee) puts Milwaukee in worse shape?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Not sure why losing more jobs in Atlanta (vis-a-vis Milwaukee) puts Milwaukee in worse shape?
It doesn't. You were comparing Atlanta to Milwaukee. I was saying that even though Atlanta has been losing jobs for a long time, Milwaukee has been losing jobs alot too. Milwaukee lost many manufacturing jobs during the 70's and 80's. Atlanta is now losing alot of jobs. Still, it is disturbing that Milwaukee might lose jobs because of Harley-Davidson leaving.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
It doesn't. You were comparing Atlanta to Milwaukee. I was saying that even though Atlanta has been losing jobs for a long time, Milwaukee has been losing jobs alot too. Milwaukee lost many manufacturing jobs during the 70's and 80's. Atlanta is now losing alot of jobs. Still, it is disturbing that Milwaukee might lose jobs because of Harley-Davidson leaving.
Oh, it's damn scary what's happening to the economies of both cities, alright.

And for this entire country.

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I think Harley won't leave. That they will just shakedown the workers and the state, get the deal they want, and like Mercury Marine, that will be that.

But the word over the local (state) tv news is that they won't decide for a couple of months.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Oh, it's damn scary what's happening to the economies of both cities, alright.

And for this entire country.

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I think Harley won't leave. That they will just shakedown the workers and the state, get the deal they want, and like Mercury Marine, that will be that.

But the word over the local (state) tv news is that they won't decide for a couple of months.
I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee