Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 AM

165 posts, read 600,675 times

Advertisements

I would love to be able to go on a Jeffrey Dahmer tour of Milwaukee. Go to place where the apartments were. The Ambassador Hotel, his grandmother's house in West Allis, the chocolate factory, and all the gay bars that he went to find victims.

I think that would be fascinating, there would be a lot of true crime people out there who would enjoy that. it could be a good business, especially to pay members of the family.

Is Jeffrey Dahmer a recurring theme in Halloween haunted houses?

Yea or nay?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Default Absolutely not

What an absurd idea. I think that is a fascination that you and you alone must pursue. The apartment where he last lived has been torn down and the neighborhood is nothing special. West Allis one of the most racist segments of the city (I've heard), so it should be avoided. Who the hell wants to tour the gay bars where this lunatic frequented? Not me. Ridiculous.

I'd rather focus on the good in the city, not something that should be completely forgotten. More importantly, the families of the victims should be respected.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
Shaking my head...If posters from True Crime forum see this thread, you'll be chewed up and spit out..no pun intended, but I'll speak for myself...bizarre.

Now at Halloween we would jokingly refer to the bloody fake hands as "Jeffrey Dahmer care Packages", the comments were poor taste that was prior to his death.

May all the victims RIP.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,940 times
You're a strange person.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 PM

165 posts, read 600,675 times
I still say that there are a lot of people who would be interested in this.

When you have someone famous, the cty needs to cash in. This guy could be your Elvis.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,081 times
Quote:
I still say that there are a lot of people who would be interested in this.

When you have someone famous, the cty needs to cash in. This guy could be your Elvis.
Or our Lizzy Borden. (Milwaukee's Elvis was Liberace.) But the previous posters make some good points: his apartment has been razed, his neighborhoods aren't too exciting, and even the gay bar he frequented is gone. Someone may be able to cash in on the promise of things Dahmer, but the absence of interesting traces would likely leave a lot of thrillseekers with little more than a postcard and a lighter wallet.

Add to it the fact that it would be crass to cash in on something so macabre that's still fairly recent to the friends and families of victims. Some crimes and criminals do become the focus of tourist curiosity, such as Lizzy Borden's exploits in Fall River nearly 100 years ago, or Al Capone's bloodtrail in Chicago and Wisconsin earlier in the 20th century. But time intervening is very important: How horrible and tasteless it would be now to have 9/11 tours in NYC, or Unabomber tours of the East Coast, or Katrina Death Tours in New Orleans, or even Charles Manson tours in Southern California (though I believe that is part of a Los Angeles Crime Tour currently available). Let the people heal first.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 AM

402 posts, read 976,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Or our Lizzy Borden. (Milwaukee's Elvis was Liberace.) But the previous posters make some good points: his apartment has been razed, his neighborhoods aren't too exciting, and even the gay bar he frequented is gone. Someone may be able to cash in on the promise of things Dahmer, but the absence of interesting traces would likely leave a lot of thrillseekers with little more than a postcard and a lighter wallet.

Ambrosia Chocolate is not there anymore either.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 AM

146 posts, read 388,271 times
Nay nay nay nay!!! Kill it with fire!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
I would love to be able to go on a Jeffrey Dahmer tour of Milwaukee. Go to place where the apartments were. The Ambassador Hotel, his grandmother's house in West Allis, the chocolate factory, and all the gay bars that he went to find victims.

I think that would be fascinating, there would be a lot of true crime people out there who would enjoy that. it could be a good business, especially to pay members of the family.

Yea or nay?
Sometimes there's a fine line between fascination with the macabre, and just plain poor taste. Not so in this case, which falls squarely into the latter.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Spectacular thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee