Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:43 PM

11 posts, read 30,380 times
Originally from So. Cal. I've lived in Milwaukee for about 10 years. So a semi-objective opinion from a semi-insider. Milwaukee is a pretty decent place. Certainly not boring to visit, unless you are a boring person. Has all the things you need in a big city, but without all the traffic and headaches of places like Chicago, LA, NY. Lake MI is really pretty, and contributes obvious things to do if you like water activities. The East-Side, 3rd Ward areas have lots to offer in terms of dining, night life, shopping ect. Summerfest is a spectacle if nothing else. Winter is pretty nasty though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 11:58 AM

395 posts, read 1,860,436 times
I live in Milwaukee and I'm hardly ever bored. But then again, I'm family man so I really have no need for the "nightlife."

Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
i would definently visit milwaukee again

PS: i went to milwaukee a few months ago, so no need in continuing this thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times
i just love milwaukee! There something different about this city...midwestern but non land locked and MKE has wonderful suburbs

Old 10-30-2008, 05:58 PM

59 posts, read 218,181 times
it is so boring, I have been in Milwuakee for 3 years for my grad school, and I am glad i am leaving. In winter, you will see NOBODY anywhere, empty street, empty mall, it is empty in winter.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:19 PM

121 posts, read 448,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldoll View Post
it is so boring, I have been in Milwuakee for 3 years for my grad school, and I am glad i am leaving. In winter, you will see NOBODY anywhere, empty street, empty mall, it is empty in winter.
I agree. Very Boring city. The only thing to do on the weekends is go to the mall. If you are interested in Cold Winters, then I am sure you will enjoy it.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:45 PM

295 posts, read 546,586 times
WOW!!!, ok I've lived in Cincy, Long Island, New Orleans, Boca Raton, San Diego and Phoenix.(I had a lot of money at the time and didn't know what to do with it period in my life).

Here's my choice on excitement
1. New York
2. Miami
3. Milwaukee
4. San Diego
5. New Orleans
6. Phoenix
7. Cincy

Milwaukee boring!!! have you been to the Twin Cities lately? or Phoenix? I used to hate Milwaukee before I actually went somewhere different. Every city is very exciting for the first 3 months or so, I call this the honeymoon period. When I came back to Milwaukee 3 years ago I was shocked, we had no Third Ward/5th ward, or even downtown. Theres was one nightclub and the same 'ol hole in the wall bars and no good restuarants. Now I live in the 5th Ward aka Walkers Point and I can't believe what Milwaukee has become. Antique shops everywhere, new art gallerys popping up everywhere, all the lounges and chill bars that you find out in Miami, I now have friends from Chi coming up here on a regular basis. Granted Milwaukee would be the Cincy of Wisconsin if we weren't so close to Chicago, I love the fact Milwaukee has a sizable Jewish community in Sherman park and North Shore along with the Russians and Poles on the Southside and lets not forget the Serbs. When I go out to chill spots or go biking most of the people I meet aren't from Milwaukee and I like that, I'm finding more and more transplants. Also in the last 3 years Milwaukee has gone Upscale with all the new shopping and chill spots, Milwaukee never even heard of a dress code back in 1993, now even I'm not the best dressed guy in the spot. Fashion Milwaukee is finally coming up, and the suburbs are even getting upscale resturants and bars. If your bored then take the hour train ride south to Chicago, then you will realize how lucky you are to have Chicago right next to you. Then again you could move to the Twin Cites where life is more than 5 hours away, the Chicago-Milwaukee-Gary Tristate area has the 3rd most people behind New York, LA, Chi-MKE-Gary area.

So if you can't make it here...you can't make it anywhere and your too hard to please.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Beer. Brats. Packer fans. How can that be boring?

Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 PM

295 posts, read 546,586 times
....BREWERS AND BUCKS FANS AS WELL and Polish Sausage!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 AM

395 posts, read 1,860,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
WOW!!!, ok I've lived in Cincy, Long Island, New Orleans, Boca Raton, San Diego and Phoenix.(I had a lot of money at the time and didn't know what to do with it period in my life).

Here's my choice on excitement
1. New York
2. Miami
3. Milwaukee
4. San Diego
5. New Orleans
6. Phoenix
7. Cincy

Milwaukee boring!!! have you been to the Twin Cities lately? or Phoenix? I used to hate Milwaukee before I actually went somewhere different. Every city is very exciting for the first 3 months or so, I call this the honeymoon period. When I came back to Milwaukee 3 years ago I was shocked, we had no Third Ward/5th ward, or even downtown. Theres was one nightclub and the same 'ol hole in the wall bars and no good restuarants. Now I live in the 5th Ward aka Walkers Point and I can't believe what Milwaukee has become. Antique shops everywhere, new art gallerys popping up everywhere, all the lounges and chill bars that you find out in Miami, I now have friends from Chi coming up here on a regular basis. Granted Milwaukee would be the Cincy of Wisconsin if we weren't so close to Chicago, I love the fact Milwaukee has a sizable Jewish community in Sherman park and North Shore along with the Russians and Poles on the Southside and lets not forget the Serbs. When I go out to chill spots or go biking most of the people I meet aren't from Milwaukee and I like that, I'm finding more and more transplants. Also in the last 3 years Milwaukee has gone Upscale with all the new shopping and chill spots, Milwaukee never even heard of a dress code back in 1993, now even I'm not the best dressed guy in the spot. Fashion Milwaukee is finally coming up, and the suburbs are even getting upscale resturants and bars. If your bored then take the hour train ride south to Chicago, then you will realize how lucky you are to have Chicago right next to you. Then again you could move to the Twin Cites where life is more than 5 hours away, the Chicago-Milwaukee-Gary Tristate area has the 3rd most people behind New York, LA, Chi-MKE-Gary area.

So if you can't make it here...you can't make it anywhere and your too hard to please.

Agreed. This is a great city to live in, there's a lot to do here, and it's changing for the better.

It sounds to me like a lot of those people who call Milwaukee "boring" either have never lived in another city, or can't hang with our long, cold winter. Or perhaps they're just boring people.

I personally don't mind the winter. Yes, it's tough to get through, but if you're a creative and active person you can find plenty to stay occupied and avoid "cabin fever." Get outside and shake things up a bit: go cross country skiing along the lakefront, go ice skating at Red Arrow Park. Go to your favorite used bookstore and spend an afternoon exploring. There's plenty to do here, even in the winter.

Quite frankly, if you're the kind of person who's idea of "things to do" is "going to the mall," then maybe Milwaukee isn't the city for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee