Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,117 times

Advertisements

Hey I will be attending uwm next year. Fall 2011. It will be my first year in college an I'm wondering if I should live in the dorms or in an apartment. My parents are saying dorms but I have the final say. How much money should I be planning on making per month in order to afford an apartment? Is there enough time for a job for a first year student? Also where is a good party friendly area to rent in? Please help me out here I'm in the dark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM

448 posts, read 1,819,551 times
Dorms are much better than off-campus housing. They are generally less of a hassle and you don't have to deal with bad landlords, bills, or the thousand problems that always crop up. You (or your parents) will save money and you'll have a better study environment closer to campus. Plus you won't be able to afford an apartment on your own and will need to find a roommate. It's better to wait and make friends that you can trust to be good roommates.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Same as what Nuclear_Art said. Dorms.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 PM

54 posts, read 172,931 times
Hey crazy, i currently go to uwm and i can honestly say that i recommend staying in the dorms your first year. You meet so many people and its convenient to live on campus so your classes are close. However if you decide to live in an apartment the prices around campus range from $500-1000/mo. A job is pretty much up to you... if you feel that the amount of credits taken allows you to have a job, by all means do so. And basically any apartment or house you rent near campus will be good for parties, you dont need to worry about that, but id say the most parties are on oakland, cramer, murray, maryland, farwell, and linnwood

Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
I agree with the advice to head for the dorms the first year. Some of the dorms (Sandburg) are right on campus, but if you want more an off-campus environment, go with Riverview, Cambridge Commons, or Kenilworth. You'll have the benefit of being part of the dorm system and structure, but won't be suffocatingly close to campus (you'll be in walking distance to east side shops, etc.). These dorms are new, too, and have good amenities and shuttle service to campus.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,117 times
How strict are dorm rules? As far as drinking, drugs,ect

Old 11-16-2010, 12:15 PM

54 posts, read 172,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYeLiTe22 View Post
Sandburg is alot more strict than cambridge and riverview for whatever reason. You can get away with that stuff, it all depends how big of a risk taker you are... However i know of a few people that have gotten kicked out of school/ not allowed to live in the dorms because of drugs...

Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 PM

448 posts, read 1,819,551 times
Quote:
Off campus rules are getting just as strict. Especially around campus, campus police will bust parties and underaged students will get ticketed. You can get kicked out of school just as easily off campus as on.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
To Nuclear_Art's point:

The UWM Police Department website's feature photo (the one when you open the link) shows a picture of roll call taking place on Cramer Street, complete with mobile command unit. I don't know about anyone else, but that sends a pretty obvious message that chronic nuisance complaints (red cup parties, noise, etc) aren't being ignored.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:28 AM

71 posts, read 162,857 times
Quote:
As far as drinking, drugs,ect
I find this amusing....

B/T/W, what part of the country are you coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee