Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 AM

33 posts, read 134,588 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're a married couple in our mid-30s with two young kids (6 and 3) and I was just wondering if Pewaukee would be for us, or if there might be a neighbourhood in W Milwaukee that might suit us better.

We're both pretty progressive/liberal (although not stridently so) and we both really like having access to lots of cultural stuff (gigs, cinema, art, libraries, etc.) and being able to walk or take public transit instead of driving everywhere. We also value a strong community where people are friendly and kids can play safely, attend good schools, etc. Some natural beauty nearby (bike trails, hiking) couldn't hurt either.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are some aspects of city living that we crave but also we see the value of other aspects of suburban life. We have previously enjoyed living in a mid-sized college town, and it is clear that Pewaukee doesn't really fall into that category. How is it, though, as a place to live? It seems appealing in many regards, but I have also seen it depicted as an upscale suburb with a little too much attention paid to golf and manicured lawns, etc.

If we opted for Milwaukee instead, what would we be gaining/losing? Which neighbourhoods might we try, that would allow easy commuter access to Pewaukee for work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 AM

358 posts, read 451,129 times
From what you described, Pewaukee doesn't seem like a good fit for you. Unless you're in "downtown" Pewaukee, it's not very walkable. You also wouldn't have access to any public transit or many cultural items. It's also very conservative.

For suburbs I would suggest looking into Waukesha, Greendale, Wauwatosa, Shorewood, or northern Greenfield (Mitchell Highlands neighborhood).

For Milwaukee neighborhoods, I would suggest Bay View, Jackson Park, or Alverno. Some far southside neighborhoods would also be worth looking into, but I'm not as familiar with them.

I guess it all depends on where you will be working, and how long you want your commute to be.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
You would be better off in Milwaukee, judging by the description of yourself. Many areas in Milwaukee proper still feel suburban (since you need a little of both). If you need to commute to Pewaukee, you may want to look around the Hwy 100 & Capitol area.

Going east on Capitol from Hwy 100/Lovers Lane/108th St., I -believe- Wauwatosa is on the north side of Capitol, and the city of Milwaukee is on the south. Either one will provide you with a good mix of suburbs and city, and it is a straight shot down Capitol Drive to Pewaukee for work.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 PM

33 posts, read 134,588 times
Thanks -- How does Waukesha stack up against the other two places?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM

20 posts, read 71,110 times
Waukesha is the most conservative county in the state. I wouldn't suggest moving there if you describe yourselves as lefty, politically. Also it's not very walkable (unless you are downtown) and the public transit is iffy in comparison to Milwaukee. Not to mention it's more pricey to live in Wauk. County than Milwaukee!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 PM

33 posts, read 144,619 times
@Newto53202,
If Waukesha is the most conservative, tbey would be politically Right-Wing, not left.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:40 AM

131 posts, read 209,148 times
Waukesha county is pretty much a cultural wasteland. Strip malls and bored teenagers. Like I always say to you breeder types (heh), look into Wauwatosa. It's a nicer suburb, but still feels like a part of the city. It isn't a white-flight suburb with nothing but subdivisions and Applebees. There's a bit of stuff to do in the village and along North Avenue, and the parks are great, but more importantly, it's close enough to the city that it isn't a hassle. Most of the better parts of the city are a bit of a hike from Pewaukee, but being in Tosa saves most of the traffic.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:35 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
I would not rule out Pewaukee. It may be a better choice for your Kids sake. There are good schools and it's a very nice area. There isn't much oportunity for Public Transportation into Pewaukee but there is limited service into Milwaukee via CoachUSA. It sounds as if work will be in Pewaukee so it may be sane just to stay at that end.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:00 PM

50 posts, read 169,134 times
Sounds like a Milwaukee home is the right choice for you Liberals. (Plenty of diversity.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee