Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 03:18 PM

196 posts, read 473,870 times

Advertisements

Well, let me just say this: I am a gay African American male; 24 years of age; year and a half away from earning my second college degree; into taking care of myself as I've always been fit (5'9 and 139 w/ a six pack), pearly white teeth, never drank nor smoke, never done drugs, never had any diseases, never done hook-ups nor friends with benefits as I have have strong values (no offense, but this is more than I can say for most str8 white males I come across here at college); born and raised middle-class in all-white suburbs. I wouldn't wish life in Wisconsin on any African American middle-class person.

While I believe racism an African American receives is significantly exacerbated by being lower-class and adopting trends of lower-class blacks, people act like there's some kind of wonderful life here in Wisconsin for African Americans who work their way out of lower-class lifestyles. As a middle-class African American male, I strongly beg to differ. From the way I see it, you basically have two choices if you're African American and living in Wisconsin: upside of being around African Americans but stuck in struggling, lower-class, sketchy areas or upside of being in middle-class areas but vastly outnumbered by whites.

There are many, many white privileges/black disadvantages that come with being vastly outnumbered by another race and the odd man out everywhere you go. For example, shyness and standing out in highschool is a very bad mix and makes for a very visible target for bullies. Because of the condition of most MPS schools, my parents had no choice but to send me to suburban schools and I was shy growing up considering the amount of attention I received and everyone looked different in skin tone. I knew a lot of white kids who were just as shy as me, if not more shy, growing up and I for the life of me didn't understand why I had to defend myself a lot more so than they did. Rarely if ever did other shy white kids have to be on the defense as much as I did, even if they were obese. I realized being shy and standing out is a bad combo. Looking back as an adult, I now realize I wasn't as free to flaws as other white students and am still not considering the college I attend. For example, because the greater degree of attention that's on me than just another white student, I'm not as free to a bad hair day or doing something silly and stupid as the rest of the white students, as it will attract that much more negative, judgmental attention.

And please do not even get me started on Milwaukee's gay community (really Wisconsin gay community because it gets even worse in the regions outside of the Milwaukee area). If there are black parents who suspect their kids of being gay, I strongly discourage them from raising kids here even if middle-class. Suicidal thoughts will constantly be on their mind. I can't tell you how many times I've made out posts with my stats on Craigslist in search of an LTR and got zero responses, then when I changed "African American" to "White", how I instantly became a prize to Wisconsin's gay community, receiving a bunch of e-mails. (Internet dating is pivotal in the gay community even for whites). Placed all the same exact stats and information: how I have my degree, never drank nor smoked nor done drugs, fit, so on and so forth. Only difference was that I changed my color, and my luck changed.

As for turning to my own race of men, finding middle-class black men is hard enough as it is, without also trying to ferret out gay middle-class black men looking for LTRs. Most black males in my neck of the woods are only into secretive down low hook-ups and understandably so: Most blacks in the Milwaukee area are lower-class and the tough lower-class lifestyle that African Americans must lead doesn't allow for gay black men to completely embrace their homosexuality. Being tough and able to survive is pivotal for lower-class African Americans. They're not only dealing with racism and homophobia, but poverty as well and thus have lot's of issues. Long story short, I'm a middle-class gay black male with a good head on my shoulders who has very few options in terms of dating here in Milwaukee WI. I'm forced to search through a bunch of gay white males with racial hang ups. I can't tell you how many white men have stared into my eyes daily (some even going so far as playing footsy with me) and have done all sorts of stuff that implies interests at college, then when I was direct about it, acted like they never did any such a thing and completely changed their tune. They're very into wasting time and sending mixed messages which exacerbates the lives of gay black men even more. It goes hand in hand with the fact that most of the white men I've gone out on dates with (I've only been able to go on dates with white men by the way) all had something racially offensive to say. It's almost as if they're conflicted just because of skin color. I mean, before I even met the last guy I went out on a date with, he told me on the phone, "Can we just meet as friends? My parents would freak if I brought home a black guy." "Why?" I asked. "Well please don't take offense but most blacks are lazy and on welfare. You guys also have d*cks that look like fudge popcicles." When we actually met, he wanted more but looked like a bum, had a hunch, and he had a small bald spot at only 20 years of age. I ended up sneaking off in the middle of our date while he had his back turned to me, rambling on, as he was out of my league. (I've learned that a lot of white males are willing to get involved with African Americans with no hesitations whatsoever if you're out of their league better than in some way, whether you're 9 years younger than them, you're skinny while they're fat, you don't smoke while they do, etc. I refuse to get the short end of the stick with a white male which unfortunately has meant I get no one). He called me off the hook, wondering why I bailed on him and had the nerve to say "I could have been nicer".

Anyways, many of the white men I've gone out on dates with have said something similar to him in terms of black people. It explains why all of these white college men will send signals but then act differently once I approach them directly. Wasting my time with conflicted white men with racial hang ups, who like sending signals has been pretty much the story of my life. It really sucks only having only white males to choose from. I hate that most middle-class black people live in Atlanta. I've asked my dad if I can attend college in Atlanta and he said he doesn't have the energy and money for all that. I don't get my second degree until December of next year, so I'm going to have to put up with zero romantic life until then. At that point, I will be 26 and age is a big issue in the gay community as well. All that said, not everyone is gay and I can't speak for the str8 black male experience here in Milwaukee WI. I can say that, while I have had a great deal of white girls flirt me up and look at me adoringly here at college and other venues, I don't know what antics are played once you get involved with them. But let's just say I'm doing a lot better for myself than my brother, who smokes, has had a baby when he wasn't ready with a white girl who smokes, and never went to college, so I'm thinking the str8 black experience isn't all that much better.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 04-30-2011 at 04:15 PM..

Old 05-01-2011, 02:18 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Is the Mayfair incident a warning for the future? I have a question for this: Has any more riots occurred after this?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 AM

341 posts, read 641,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Now come on read some history. True Indians were hunting but they weren't playing and living peacefully. Before the whites came indians were in constant war with each other. There were indian tribes that went extinct at the hands of other tribes. As far as whites conquering indians nearly every country that exists today on this planet came into being through a military conquest.
...and you feel to help them to stop fighting and made a genocide? Is it true, Angorlee?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM

A flash mob is a flash mob. These thing have happened before. This particular one, well, this one means there are some parents who aren't being parents and some children(and probably some adults) who needed to be disciplined.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 AM

15 posts, read 36,068 times
green_mariner has a pretty good grasp of the realities!!! Flash mobs,from what I can tell,can be a force for Good...like taking over the Capitol grounds when our Representatives are not representing,etc,but it looks like you have to have at least a modicum of intelligence to start the mob....speak the language,know why you want the mob-thing to happen,etc,etc...the Flash Mob thing kind of terrifies me though,because people who get their entertainment by causing havoc and fear can gather like flies on a carcass.....a thousand times worse than one moron with a gun,y'know?? As for Parents who don't parent--most of you,I suspect,are too young to remember when sticking your brand-new baby in daycare was a cop-out.bigtime.Ask yourself,just WHO IS Parenting your kids.....I mean,say what you will about clean,safe "nurturing" environments (I really doubt a stranger can nurture the things you want to Grow in your 'future adults'----something to think about?) What you're really doing is putting your kid in a foriegn environment and walking away,hoping that the kid is becoming what you hoped for,the day you became a parent......and sixteen years down the road,the kid "relates with" a 'mob' of people you don't know,has NO concept of relationship with the Parent,and self-control,which is still years in coming----teenage brains being what they are???....I'm sorry,but if you're not ready to BE a Parent....there's very little hope for anything like a Rational,ethical,moral,disciplined "end product",ie Adult. No daycare can be a parent,and when I see kids as young as 6 or 7 running the streets unsupervised----because Mommy or Daddy is conditioned to not having to supervise them...all my hopes for "a better world" go right down the toilet.
Ghandi said "BE the change you wish to see in the world"......How can we,when the change we need to affect is being bred out of generatons of our Future by the ill-formed 'flash' mobs of institution-raised kids???
Well,I got it off my chest...one can only hope a psychological flash-mob of real adults can pick this up before all is really lost??? There is a "tipping point",but we cannot see it until it has tipped. There's no un-doing it.This is not Nintendo,folks....no do-overs allowed.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristy1958 View Post
green_mariner has a pretty good grasp of the realities!!! Flash mobs,from what I can tell,can be a force for Good...like taking over the Capitol grounds when our Representatives are not representing,etc,but it looks like you have to have at least a modicum of intelligence to start the mob....speak the language,know why you want the mob-thing to happen,etc,etc...the Flash Mob thing kind of terrifies me though,because people who get their entertainment by causing havoc and fear can gather like flies on a carcass.....a thousand times worse than one moron with a gun,y'know?? As for Parents who don't parent--most of you,I suspect,are too young to remember when sticking your brand-new baby in daycare was a cop-out.bigtime.Ask yourself,just WHO IS Parenting your kids.....I mean,say what you will about clean,safe "nurturing" environments (I really doubt a stranger can nurture the things you want to Grow in your 'future adults'----something to think about?) What you're really doing is putting your kid in a foriegn environment and walking away,hoping that the kid is becoming what you hoped for,the day you became a parent......and sixteen years down the road,the kid "relates with" a 'mob' of people you don't know,has NO concept of relationship with the Parent,and self-control,which is still years in coming----teenage brains being what they are???....I'm sorry,but if you're not ready to BE a Parent....there's very little hope for anything like a Rational,ethical,moral,disciplined "end product",ie Adult. No daycare can be a parent,and when I see kids as young as 6 or 7 running the streets unsupervised----because Mommy or Daddy is conditioned to not having to supervise them...all my hopes for "a better world" go right down the toilet.
Ghandi said "BE the change you wish to see in the world"......How can we,when the change we need to affect is being bred out of generatons of our Future by the ill-formed 'flash' mobs of institution-raised kids???
Well,I got it off my chest...one can only hope a psychological flash-mob of real adults can pick this up before all is really lost??? There is a "tipping point",but we cannot see it until it has tipped. There's no un-doing it.This is not Nintendo,folks....no do-overs allowed.
Thank you. The parents as well as the teenagers need to be held accountable. I know that if I tried what those kids did at Mayfair, then I would have been in big trouble with my parents.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times
AmericanHistory09: Everything you say backs the argument for the seperation of races into their own communities(or little nations of their own). That way you will have your own black world to deal with and whites will gladly deal with their own white world. It makes for a peaceful solution.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
AmericanHistory09: Everything you say backs the argument for the seperation of races into their own communities(or little nations of their own). That way you will have your own black world to deal with and whites will gladly deal with their own white world. It makes for a peaceful solution.
Blacks and Whites were having segregation and there were still tensions.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:55 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,222 times
Lightbulb And By The Same Token...

Quote:
Everything isn't about you and your wish for some gated whites-only utopia...

People are going to live where they please, around WHOM they please, and aren't going to worry about you going through spontaneous human combustion behind your PC, yelling like Marvin The Martian "OOOOHHHHH!!!...People that aren't like me or don't think like me make me SOOOOOO ANGRY!!!"

Don't like that scenario? Tough...once again, you don't run anything, so all you have going for you right now is a bunch of wishful thinking...and don't come with that tired-out 'lots of others think like me' because the same goes for them too

Old 05-10-2011, 02:04 PM

88 posts, read 214,859 times
Quote:
You know what the crazy part about this is? People are still responding to Angorlee and all of his garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee