Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,057 times

Advertisements

My husbands kids live in WI with there mother, my husband and i have decided to move there so that he could be closer to his kids who are 11 and 9, I just wanted to know how soon should we start looking at jobs, and homes, we don't plan to move until late September, or October because we are expecting a new baby due at the end of august. I would also like to know about the south side of Milwaukee because that is were kids go to school there, is it safe i also have a 6 month old baby who i would like for him to grow up in a safe area something different from LA how much is the rent over there in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:24 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,175,107 times
It depends on where on the south side? the near south side like around 16th and Lapham or down by 27th & College. Plus Milwaukee's neighborhoods change real quick. One minute you are in a rough area two minutes later you are in a good area and probably won't have much problems at all but this all depends on where.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM

280 posts, read 650,206 times
Pretty much anywhere on the southside is relatively safe. But if you're coming from LA, you'd probably enjoy Bay View and Walker's Point more than the areas further to the south and west. I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm on the "far southside" it feels like I'm upstate... and not in a good way. Not much to do there but fish fries and chain restaurants and a lot of the people have "old time" mentalities if you know what I mean.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,175,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm on the "far southside" it feels like I'm upstate... and not in a good way. Not much to do there but fish fries and chain restaurants and a lot of the people have "old time" mentalities if you know what I mean.
Yeah it's just you BTW: I don't get this feeling when on the far south side but that's for another thread.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,883,353 times
It probably depends on your line of work, but I'd start looking for jobs ASAP.
Housing will be considerably cheaper than LA going on what I understand of LA.
Nice 2 bedrooms can be had anywhere from 700-1500 a month. Places on the water will be higher.

I'm new here myself, but I've figured out that when people say 'southside', it could mean several different things. You should be able to find something you like and meets your needs.
I like the city quite a bit, but most of my experience so far is with the some of the southern suburbs.
Oak Creek and Franklin are big, square-shaped towns whose squares aren't filled in yet. Very sporadic and spread out. Not much of a community feel to either one. I have heard those school districts are supposed to be pretty good.

Greendale, at least the older part, is one of the more unique places I've seen. Old houses, duplexes and four-plexes built back in the 1930's as part of Roosevelt's New Deal. The guy who designed them was from New England, so they have that sort of look. The funny part is they built them backwards meaning they face away from the street and the front part looks out onto open fields in many cases. Overall, it looks like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting. There is a newer part, meaning anything from the 50's on, and it is still very nice. Real estate seems a bit pricey for what you get, but I read somewhere that the school district is considered one of the best in the area. The whole village is very well kept, with walking trails and playgrounds everywhere and a nice little downtown area.
Rent in Greendale is actually average to below average. I think It's because a lot of the apartment complexes are older. There is some new construction, but not a whole lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee