Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 PM

74 posts, read 233,196 times

Advertisements

I just met a dude who was a Bulls and a Packers fan. I thought it was funny because his state and city has their own team (the Bucks) but he's a Bulls fan meaning that he in some sickning front runner way gets to share in the recent success of MY team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 PM

280 posts, read 648,242 times
In my observation, the favorite teams of NBA fans probably have less to do with geography than any of the major pro sports and Milwaukee is no exception to this. The Bulls have a small following here as do the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons and probably a handful of other teams. The Bucks are by far the least popular of the three "local" teams and the people who do identify as Bucks fans usually go back to at least the 80s.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Remember the 90's? there were Bulls fans everywhere and everyone loved Jordan. I am guessing he is a leftover from that era. As for the Bulls recent success, I would not call it a recent success, they haven't won anything yet. The Bulls haven't won the Division since 97/98 even the Bucks won a division back in 00/01 and went to game 7 in the eastern conf. finals. So just because the bulls are having a good year, this is not a kind of year where bandwagon fans jump on. However if the bulls win the finals watch out. Just like the Hawks fans the new comers will be every where.

Take me for example; Brewers, Bucks, MU, Blackhawks, Bears, Miami Hurricanes fan and yes I have always lived in Milwaukee. Some people just have allegiance from way back like me.

To answer your question, No. Cubs fans is a different story, since Milwaukee didn't have a MLB team for a little bit and the Cubs were on WGN all the time some people here grew up watching the cubs. Just like Hawks fans since Milwaukee has no NHL team you see a lot of people rooting for the Hawks for that reason.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 AM

280 posts, read 648,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Remember the 90's? there were Bulls fans everywhere and everyone loved Jordan. I am guessing he is a leftover from that era. As for the Bulls recent success, I would not call it a recent success, they haven't won anything yet. The Bulls haven't won the Division since 97/98 even the Bucks won a division back in 00/01 and went to game 7 in the eastern conf. finals. So just because the bulls are having a good year, this is not a kind of year where bandwagon fans jump on. However if the bulls win the finals watch out. Just like the Hawks fans the new comers will be every where.

Take me for example; Brewers, Bucks, MU, Blackhawks, Bears, Miami Hurricanes fan and yes I have always lived in Milwaukee. Some people just have allegiance from way back like me.

To answer your question, No. Cubs fans is a different story, since Milwaukee didn't have a MLB team for a little bit and the Cubs were on WGN all the time some people here grew up watching the cubs. Just like Hawks fans since Milwaukee has no NHL team you see a lot of people rooting for the Hawks for that reason.
I remember Milwaukee having quite a Blackhawks following in the 80s, but that pretty much ended when William Wirtz killed Milwaukee's bid for an expansion team in the early 90s almost entirely by himself which is why the Ads are no longer affiliated with them. I'd say that nowadays Milwaukee's NHL following is split between the Red Wings, the Wild and the Predators, although all of them combined don't even have as much of a following as the Badgers hockey program (which uses the Bradley Center as its second home).

The Cubs on the other hand had a pretty big following in Milwaukee back when the Brewers were in the AL since they never played the Brewers and all of their games were on WGN. But that's been decreasing now that the Brewers are in the NL and are actually a respectable organization once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: