Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:32 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times

Advertisements

What kinds of property tax rates do people in Milwaukee pay? Everybody always says how rediculous they are.

Do you have some examples, or a percentage or something?

Here in Cedar Rapids, IA it is around 2% of the assessed value per year. On my $110k house I pay about $2k.

What are the rates like there?

I am considering moving there, but not if my pay is severely docked because of my stupid property taxes. All they do here is squander the tax money on overpaid teachers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 11:56 AM

115 posts, read 795,610 times
Property taxes are pretty high, especially in Milwaukee County. In Waukesha County the rates are lower but houses are cost more. In 2005, taxes on a $225,000 house in the City of Milwaukee are $5,294 but in Brookfield that same house would be taxed at $3,814. I pay $5200 on my house in Oak Creek valued around $270,000. Rates are even lower farther out in the sticks but then you don't have services such as city water, sewer, or garbage pickup. Google "Milwaukee Property Taxes" and you'll find some links describing taxes in the area.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam76 View Post
Property taxes are pretty high, especially in Milwaukee County. In Waukesha County the rates are lower but houses are cost more. In 2005, taxes on a $225,000 house in the City of Milwaukee are $5,294 but in Brookfield that same house would be taxed at $3,814. I pay $5200 on my house in Oak Creek valued around $270,000. Rates are even lower farther out in the sticks but then you don't have services such as city water, sewer, or garbage pickup. Google "Milwaukee Property Taxes" and you'll find some links describing taxes in the area.
Am I missing something here? $5k on a $225k house is 2.2%. Brookfield is even lower.

I would think they'd hit you over the head more (progressive tax) if you owned an expensive house.

I can live with 2-3% property tax rates. That's pretty much what I pay here.

Do you guys have a high sales or income tax in Wisconsin/Milwaukee?? Why does everyone ***** about the taxes? If you ask me they are right on par, especially for a big rust belt city.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 PM

First you have to put housing prices into context as well. Yes it's true a house worth $110,000 would have similiar taxes as what you have on your house, but would $110K buy the same kind of house? You can find houses in the 110K range in the city but definately not in Brookfield. Sales tax is rather low here... state is 5%, the county adds another .5%, then there are things like the Miller Park district and such that will add fractions of a percent more. Gas taxes are among the highest in the nation, and the state income tax is on the high side as well.

I don't think a Milwaukee resident moving to another Upper Midwest city would really see all that much difference in the dollar amount of taxes paid all else being equal. I recently evaluated a move to the Las Vegas area for job reasons, and while there is no state income tax there and property taxes are much lower, once you factored in higher housing costs, higher sales tax, and higher fees such as car registration it was pretty much a wash. Relatives of mine lived in South Carolina and while housing and taxes were significantly cheaper there, wages were also less for similar jobs.

When claims or studies come out putting Wisconsin in the top 10 in taxes, they are usually taxes expressed as a percentage of income. Average or median household incomes is where Wisconsin lags which in turn makes the "tax burden" higher. Probably more significant, but reported less, is how much more expensive medical care is in south eastern Wisconsin. This might be more of a sticker shock than taxes especially for a family with children.

There are other references about medical costs but here's
a link (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=253483 - broken link) from the local newspaper.

What area of town are you thinking of moving to? Would 110K be your budget for a house?

Old 07-30-2007, 06:27 PM

I see your point when people compare Milwaukee to places like Nevada. Taxes are always less in the southern states. Lots of red states down there, unlike here!

My housing budget would be in the $130-$180k range, if not more. Depends what kind of salary an electrical engineer pulls in up there. Right now I am making about $60k. I doubt I'd pull in much more there.

I am 27 and single so the health care is not an issue for me at all. Any ideas on a good place for a single person to live? I'd consider the suburbs, but fear it is mostly married people with 2.4 kids and a picket fence. Yuck! Where are some more hip places to live and still be able to own a home?

I like Milwaukee because it is a big city without all the hassles and traffic like Chicago. I also like the many manufacturing companies located there.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:21 PM

43 posts, read 74,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I see your point when people compare Milwaukee to places like Nevada. Taxes are always less in the southern states. Lots of red states down there, unlike here!

My housing budget would be in the $130-$180k range, if not more. Depends what kind of salary an electrical engineer pulls in up there. Right now I am making about $60k. I doubt I'd pull in much more there.

I am 27 and single so the health care is not an issue for me at all. Any ideas on a good place for a single person to live? I'd consider the suburbs, but fear it is mostly married people with 2.4 kids and a picket fence. Yuck! Where are some more hip places to live and still be able to own a home?

I like Milwaukee because it is a big city without all the hassles and traffic like Chicago. I also like the many manufacturing companies located there.
id say around riverwest
or washingtown heights,
just used shorewest realtors search engine
and then you can look in that price range and then map out where that place is,
i have a duplex in riverwest that i visit and upkeep once a month
personally i would get a duplex and then rent out the other unit
that way you could afford a place in a nicer area,
most of milwaukee is affordable except the east side, bayview is getting less so,

Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 AM

I think around 60K with a couple years of experience is about the going rate for an EE. If I were 27 and single with a housing budget in the mid 100s I'd do a condo. I'm not sure what is available in that price range... I think the 3rd Ward might price you out but condo development is starting to head south into the Walkers Point area which may be a little cheaper and still close to the city nightlife. If you got a job out in the western burbs your commute would suck. Rockwell is big employer of EE's and is in the Walkers Point neighborhood, that would be a really nice arrangement.

If you want house instead of condo your best best is probably south side of Milwaukee, maybe around the airport. You'll also be able to find places in many of the suburbs within Milwaukee County, such as West Allis, St Francis, etc but that would be in blue collar type neighborhoods instead of the urban nightlife type of thing. Although there are nice parts in every side of town, in a general sense south side will be a little safer than the north side, with I-94 being the dividing point. People may dispute that generalization, but perception matters when it comes to maintaining the value of your home.

The previous poster mentions Riverwest which is OK but getting close to some of the rougher north side areas and it does not have the social nightlife. You might be able to get a bigger place though, as usual real estate is all about location. Riverwest is an interesting place from an investment standpoint, you'd stand to gain a lot if the nicer development from Brewers Hill kept spreading north. Washington Heights is significantly out of your price range.

I personally think Milwaukee is a great place for a 20s single person. The nightlife and restaurants are underrated, and the downtown / 3rd ward and areas surrounding are terrific places with lots of character.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:20 PM

9 posts, read 113,867 times
Your $110k home would probably cost you $210K in the Mke area. For low $100s you could get a small (700-850sq. ft.) condo,but remember there would also be about $200 per month assoc. fees and outdoor parking if you are lucky.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:18 AM

448 posts, read 1,819,551 times
I pay 2.2% in the city but you get what you pay for. Overall Milwaukee has an excellent range of services and I'm proud to pay those taxes. I wouldn't consider living in the far burbs and paying lesser taxes because not only the quality of life is lesser but the services and infrastructure is much worse.

Right now with the water supply issue, Waukesha county is a horrible place to live. It is going to cost those taxpayers lots of money to create a safe water supply system and the taxes are going to increase much more.

You say you are an electrical engineer? I'm a civil and can afford a decent priced house with plenty of spending money left over. Maybe you will be making $60k this year but how much in ten more years? Take a 30 year mortgage and you can probably afford much more.

Last edited by Nuclear_Art; 08-28-2007 at 06:26 AM..

Old 09-07-2007, 06:18 PM

170 posts, read 581,622 times
Well, I live in Brown Deer and we have a 1000 sq ft house(lot size 70x140) that is worth about 155 grand and we pay close to 4 grand. THAT is alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee