Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM

20 posts, read 29,657 times

Advertisements

A question for the renters out there—how did you find your apartment? I’m visiting Milwaukee with my family in May to find an apartment for July. Our plan is to use Craigslist to find listings, but wanted to know if Milwaukee renters use any different sources-a local paper, drive around and look for signs, etc. We are flying in and only have a week to look, so I want to make sure we don’t miss any opportunities. I posed this question before and didn’t get a response, which might just mean “Craigslist, duh”. If that’s the case, let me know! Thanks so much for your help-we really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 04:19 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,122,463 times
I used a site called forrent.com and then I checked C-list and also the MKE Journal Sentinel. I decided I didn't want to live in a cookie cutter complex however they do offer the best amenities. I drove around the neighborhood I wanted to live in every week and called every sign until I found my place.

I found a 2 bedroom, 1 laundry room with backdoor access, a bi level with a total of 1300 sq ft for 500/mo just one mile south of downtown. Great Deal even if rent it now 565.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times
I'd agree that driving around looking for signs is a good way to find some pleasant surprises. That's the only way some places advertise for some reason.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the responses.
Milwaukee City--how long did it take you to find your place? It sounds like you got a great deal. What is Walker's Point like? I'm moving with my husband and 1-year-old son. My parents used to live in Shorewood (before I was born) and my four older brothers and sisters were all in Milwaukee at various times--a few Marquette grads in the family. They all say upper east side or Shorewood is for us. Trying to keep our lives simple as we only have one week to look, but wondering about other areas-I hear Bay View is nice? I'm with you on the apartment complex thing--haven't lived in one yet-they seem a little impersonal.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM

26 posts, read 94,168 times
I'm on the same boat. My husband will start a new job at UWM this summer, I would like to get some ideas on finding a new appartment.

Miwaukee City, would you mind to share the exact area you live now? I'm totally new to Miwaukee. I was told Shorewood would be a nice place to live for people working at UWM. Is your location convenient to UWM? Your rent seems very reasonable.

Also, how early should we start to check around aparments? We currently live in Providence, RI. Most apartments here will be posted maybe one month or two months before the move-in date. While, in Boston where I usually lived, many Sepetember apartments are already rented in January. I'm not sure about Miwaukee. Checked on C-lists, many apartments are for May or June. So, if we rent from August, should we wait one or two months later?

I would not mind apartment complex, as long as it is safe and with newer condition. We need two bedrooms with onsite laundry and one parking spot, and most important, reasonable priced (no more than $800). Any suggestion on apartment complex?

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:02 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,122,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia365 View Post
Your rent seems very reasonable.
Oh sorry I should point out that my place is not remodeled yet like all the other units are. Everything in my place is all white and white blinds, cheap carpet no hardwood floors and basic tile. My neighbors including the building next to me is at 800/month. I have a basic apt with no washer or dryer or dishwasher. This is why my rent is so low, then again I don't care about fancy things just yet, locale is what I wanted since I am outdoors doing things instead of being at home. I am a 20 min walk to Wisconsin Ave and I only pay 565! Location! Just try walking 20 min the other direction and see how much you pay.

BayView is nice, I prefer east of KK but that's just me I love water!.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 AM

I'm going to display my ignorance of Milwaukee here....what's KK?

Julia-not that I know anything yet, but based on what I've been told, Milwaukee sounds similar to Providence (I used to live there too, once upon a time)--1-2 months ahead of time. Although I keep seeing places come up now for July that look nice--driving me crazy! We'll be out there in mid-May to look for July 1, hopefully it'll all work out. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 AM

711 posts, read 1,690,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylov View Post
I'm going to display my ignorance of Milwaukee here....what's KK?
Haha, I just know because I grew up in Bay View for awhile, but KK is Kinnickinnic Ave... it's just easier to say and write KK than the full name.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:35 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times
Bay View seems like one of the more family-friendly places in the city. It strikes me as quieter and more laid-back than some of the east side stuff, which is also a nice area. All sorts of other places on the south side are nice, but not always as interesting.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 AM

Thanks Jesse! That was going to be my guess! (really, I swear!)

Northbound-I've heard a lot of good things about Bay Vew, although it looks like there are some safe and some not so safe spots? I've found some crime data online by neighborhood, and it's been driving me a little crazy. Things change quickly in a few blocks. Although really I should be used to this--I currently live in Brooklyn and things change fast if you go a little ways in any direction. I haven't worried too much about it where I am now - suppose its the same for Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee