Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,378 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have read your post on your question about Milwaukee. Can you please tell me of your experience with Milwaukee since moving? I'm a young mother from Delaware relocating becasue of a job and I have some concerns. I want the best education for my son, who is 10 years old in the fifth grade. Please let me know about your experience in Milwaukee since you have moved. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 04:30 PM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucker100 View Post
Hello,
I have read your post on your question about Milwaukee. Can you please tell me of your experience with Milwaukee since moving? I'm a young mother from Delaware relocating becasue of a job and I have some concerns. I want the best education for my son, who is 10 years old in the fifth grade. Please let me know about your experience in Milwaukee since you have moved. Thank you.
This is what I was told. I have a relative, who is Black, who lived in Milwaukee, but was sent to high school outside of Milwaukee. And this was in the 1980s.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 PM

I've got my sentimental feelings about Milwaukee. My father is from Milwaukee. He is mentioned some really interesting things, and times in Milwaukee. Some of the culture is interesting. I certainly like it. However, there are just some realities that are kind of sad. Milwaukee has the highest unemployment rate among African-Americans in the USA. It has one of the highest poverty rates among African-Americans in the USA. My father doesn't even live there anymore. I'm aware of the so-called "flash mobs" that happened in Wawautosa and the Wisconsin State Fair. All of it saddening, and some of it kind of scary. I think about this because I am African-American and I have often had alot of questions.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM

271 posts, read 417,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
To be fair, Wisconsin is experiencing a brain drain, period. And the reasons black college grads leave Wisconsin (lack of modern public transportation, a cliquish political establishment that's resistant to change, etc.) aren't all that different from their white counterparts.

As I said in another thread... I, a whiteboy from the inner city, think this guy is a troll whose full of crap, or at the very least, exaggerating and/or telling half truths.
if he lived in the hood so long why didnt the accept him after a while ... the problem with those posts is we never hear what kinda person he was ... if he was always starting trouble and got beat up everyday can he blame that on milwaukee blacks

Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
if he lived in the hood so long why didnt the accept him after a while ... the problem with those posts is we never hear what kinda person he was ... if he was always starting trouble and got beat up everyday can he blame that on milwaukee blacks
NWcolonel is no longer a member on city-data. I don't know what was with him. I tried to educate him and plead my case as well. He hasn't made a post since August 2011.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bks Finest View Post
No no no milwaukee is not it
Could you please elaborate on what you have just said?

Old 11-24-2012, 04:58 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
The diverse areas in the city are Washington Highlands, Concordia, Brewer's Hill, and Riverwest. Those are all reasonably priced areas especially in this market. Contrary to conservative opinion you can find many good schools within MPS and there are many good private schools if you hate public schools. The city of Milwaukee is a more diverse place than the suburbs. In fact the reason why the statistics say Milwaukee is segregated is because the suburbs skew the numbers. Milwaukee alone would not be considered the most segregated city.
NOT Washington heighlands-thats a wealthy neighborhood in Wauwatosa. Washington Heights is a diverse neighborhood in Milwaukee. I just left that neighborhood after many years-it has gone downhill with noise, several break-ins in a one-year period, etc.... Our house dropped 50% in value AFTER we made 25,000 in improvements. Plus, you dont want to live in the city of Milwaukee;the schools are awful. there are not MANY good schools in Milw. I taught there for 15 years in many of the schools and left the state because I was so fed up with that awful school system. I would NEVER put my kid through that system.
Wauwatosa schools right down the road are not bad, but are having more problems and have a lot of MIlwaukee kids in there that cause disruptions-my kids got in under open enrollment and said most of the Milw. kids stood out like a sore thumb due to their behavior & disrespect. But, the curriculum is rigorous.
So, take schools into consideration. It's a huge factor.
I agree that Glendale is a diverse suburb with better schools.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 PM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times
The OP has not posted since April, I think he got all the info he is going to get. This thread has run it's course, Next!

Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
The OP has not posted since April, I think he got all the info he is going to get. This thread has run it's course, Next!
I never thought of that. However, some people still might get use of out this thread.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 PM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never thought of that. However, some people still might get use of out this thread.
No I think we beat the dead horse enough here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee