Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 AM

17 posts, read 39,718 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are moving from the Chicago suburbs. Thought we had a house lined up (as I've posted elsewhere) put it fell through.

We've looked at a house in Dousman, in a family-friendly looking neighborhood. I know the area has great schools.

We are someone spoiled by the library and park district in my home town, which plan lots of events and activities (soccer and baseball leagues, swimming lessons, etc). I don't see a library in Dousman, and find little about the park. Are there local events and such. Can anyone comment on life in Dousman.

Thanks you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,991,252 times
I like Dousman I would prefer Wales or Delafield/Hartland. Dousman, you will find better price deals there than the cities I listed but it all blends together. You do have the Kettle Moraine Southern Unit just south of Dousman on Hwy 67. I just know from what I have driven through that area a lot. You're real close to "Lake Country" which is all the suburbs just to the north of 94 and you have a lot of shopping in and around Hwy 83.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Thanks Mr. City! I've sen quite a few of your posts as I am using city-data to do my research.

I like Delafield and Hartland as well, but haven't seen much of Wales, yet. We really want to rent first and see how the job and "life" works out, so I have to follow the "rental trail" where ever it goes. I have seen much for rent in my targer area - along I-94 and some communities just off, like New Berlin and The Falls - that meets my price point and is suitable for a family of 4. Prefering a single family home or duplex

Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM

4,357 posts, read 6,496,207 times
Dousman is ok, I like Pretty Lake (or should I say pond). As for area libraries, I used to enjoy going to the Waukesha library. It's not that long a drive from the Dousman area.

Dousman Chamber of Commerce

Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 AM

15 posts, read 35,802 times
Question Dousman??? WHY????

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromillinois View Post
Hi, we are moving from the Chicago suburbs. Thought we had a house lined up (as I've posted elsewhere) put it fell through.

We've looked at a house in Dousman, in a family-friendly looking neighborhood. I know the area has great schools.

We are someone spoiled by the library and park district in my home town, which plan lots of events and activities (soccer and baseball leagues, swimming lessons, etc). I don't see a library in Dousman, and find little about the park. Are there local events and such. Can anyone comment on life in Dousman.

Thanks you!
Just moved out of Dousman 2 years ago,and you couldn't find a friendlier place,although buying a home is gonna cost you both arms and a leg!! This is one town where your kids are relatively safe,until the teen years,and you'd better have sports and other activities in your budget by then.The "Townhouses" on Cory Avenue are large & lovely.The schools are great,but the library thing is gonna mean some trekking for your 'chauffer'---Dousman is a tiny little town,so Oconomowoc is the place that sounds like what you're used to(It's about a 15 minute drive). They always have activities,book clubs for every age,add the various forums,guest speakers for parents,and on & on& on....ALSO is part of our Federated Library System...if you can't find the book or DVD,ask Reference,and if it's in any library in SE Wisconsin,they'll get it for you.!!! Dousman is a small town,but they do have their own Softball teams,also teams from the schools & etc,but this is an area with LOTS of small towns,villages,& the like,so what you really get is a kind-of co-op type of feeling.The swimming lessons are available at City Beach in Oconomowoc,also @Ottawa State Park Beach(don't quote me on that---Scott Walker may have gutted THAT program too) all of which are about the same driving distance from Dousman.Oh,and there's a Brand New YMCA here too...Looking at a map of the area doesn't quite give you an accurate feel for the area
anyways.Just off I-94 is Delafield/Hartland----all full of new Condo's,Big Box stores,two groovy lakes....beach volleyball,and just a FEW of the dozens of ball-fields in this area.

How did you ever hear of Dousman anyway???? It's got nothing but two bars,a flower shop---oh,hey...they do Memorial Day like no place in America,But a 'big,big deal' is all relative in "small town America",ok? There is lots to do,if you're willing to drive...it's on the northern edge of WI State Park---"Kettle Moraine" by name,the kids will love the Derby Days frog-jumping contest & carnival,there's a Street Dance every year,and like I said,you'll be in the middle of a couple-dozen small towns,each with their own flavor,activities,and festivals of every shape,size & color....Old World Wisconsin is an amazing trip back in time,for any age.....On & on & on,I suppose....I had to move to Oconomowoc 2 years ago to get away from an ugly relationship,but you'll find all of Western Waukesha a delightful treasure-trove of off-the-beaten-path and 'the usuals' all in one.Be prepared for short drives to just about everything,except baseball & the liquor store,but if it's "Small town living" with nearby ammenities,Dousman's a place your kids can set roots in,and keep their friends right until High School. Don't forget the multitude of Churches,where even more activities and "groups" are available! Let me know what you think....I'm curious why you picked Dousman,since,as I said,there are dozens of small towns nearby.
I moved out here from Milwaukee about 15 years ago,and I kind of pride myself on having soaked up the culture,history and ambience of "The Lake Country".Good luck house hunting....try Oconomowoc first??St Pauls Church,the Beach,the library etc are within walking distance for anybody over the age of two...and the City Beach Bandshell hosts Concerts every Wedneday & most Saturdays all summer...and a whole lot more!! Happy hunting,and let me know if you have any more questions??? Don't suppose you're entrepreneurial....the market for SMALL Businesses is tight around here,thanksd to the Big Box nonsense...but every single hamlet out here has its "cute,quaint" shops.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:41 AM

Hi Cristy and Slamont -

Thanks for your comments - especially your insightful ones, Cristy! We did end up signing a lease to rent in Dousman. The fact that we are renting initially, and trying to meet certain criteria, is what lead us to Dousman. We saw a house on Craigslist and liked it when doing a visitation. I must have looked at houses from West Bend to Kenosha, and from Wauwatosa to Watertown. We rejected many for various reasons ranging from price to space to condition to the neighborhood. Most of the rentals we looked at in Oconomowoc, for the bedrooms and bathrooms we wanted, were too expensive. Several landlords rejected us because of our cat. A nice house in Brookfield had a registered child molester literally in the backyard.

So we ended up in Dousman because all the stars aligned, I guess.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:45 AM

BTW Cristy, I would like to be entrepreneurial (plenty of bad experiences with corporate america, especially the one that lead to this move), but not sure what would work here, with the proximity to Oconomowoc and Waukesha. Any thoughts as a former Dousman-ian?

Was thinking Dousman could use a RedBox, but I see that McDs owns all those. Maybe a DVDNOw?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM

4,357 posts, read 6,496,207 times
By the way - since you are settling in Dousman - might I suggest a family oriented activity for those summer nights? The Highway 18 Drive-in is located to the West, just the other side of Jefferson WI. It isn't the longest of drives from you and is well worth the time.

Highway 18

Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 PM

15 posts, read 35,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromillinois View Post
BTW Cristy, I would like to be entrepreneurial (plenty of bad experiences with corporate america, especially the one that lead to this move), but not sure what would work here, with the proximity to Oconomowoc and Waukesha. Any thoughts as a former Dousman-ian?

Was thinking Dousman could use a RedBox, but I see that McDs owns all those. Maybe a DVDNOw?
Hi! If you are in Dousman now,this is my suggestion....There has been a HUGE development boom along Highway 67 North about 10 miles or so,I,personally,find it despicable,because 10 years ago that whole space was open,lovely farmland,but...you might drive thru there & see what is already happening.Also,contact the Chambers of Commerce in both Dousman & Oconomowoc....or maybe south into Eagle & Palmyra.
Frankly,having just LEFT Dousman about 18 months ago,they are referred to as DousMANIACS,and "don't drink the water!!" is a common intreoduction!! VERY small town,two bars,a barber-shop,two gas stations,two small restaurants and a boatload of drunks.(Actually,the town is so small they take turns being "the town drunk"!!!)There is also a florist in town, but I can't imagine the market for another business in a town so small that the Main St isn't much more than 4 blocks long...although if you are a tattooist,you'd have better luck there than in Oconomowoc,which actually passed an ordinance literally forbidding such enterprises!!! What kind of stuff are you thinking of doing???
As I said,drive into Oconomowoc,see what's going on there...if you actually drive INTO town,their main drag (Wisconsin Ave) pretty much dried up when they decided to tear up the whole street & "remodel"----almost every little business that was there went belly-up during the 2 years it took,and I,for one (of about 99% of Oconomowoc) would love to see something new & maybe eclectic downtown again,so PLEASE park your car & take a walk thru??? Talk to the little shops downtown...they'll probably be tremendously helpful! Let me know how it goes----it looks like you want to Franchise??
Tryto Google "franchise opportunities" and see who's looking for YOU. Also,there's a site called "JobNoggin/Monster"....Wishing you much success!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:13 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,991,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristy1958 View Post
Hi! If you are in Dousman now,this is my suggestion....There has been a HUGE development boom along Highway 67 North about 10 miles or so,I,personally,find it despicable,because 10 years ago that whole space was open,lovely farmland
I don't see how farmland is beautiful, secondly, this is a major metro area if you want farms leave the suburbs. That land is too valuable to left for green beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee